Owner's Review 10 minute review

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
Never rode an Alta

Picked up the bike over the phone
Never "started" turned on an Alta prior to unloading my bike at home

build quality fit finish appears to be not on same level as a Honda or KTM
that being said I think the price for these things is very competitive now
2 torx screws on license plate holder light not installed correctly - possibly a dealer thing no big deal I guess but when you buy a new bike completing assembly is not high on the wish list

graphics will be changing....TBD

Map 4 is fun but I now know why most of you stay in the lower maps as battery life is not very long think of sitting in a Ferrari someone handing you keys letting you start it but you then realize it has a tire boot on it
It’s not a controlability issue for me it’s a battery life issue

This thing eats rear tires for breakfast - Does purchase of Alta come with Maxxis sponsorship?
brake pad sponsorship via EBC?

I will be going through rear brake pads!
slow speed
I will be getting a left hand brake setup as during slow speed events a clutch is used for controllability while not being totally reliant upon the right wrist
not having a lever to meter power is a must have IMO

all in all it will fill my purpose of allowing me to ride motorcycles in an urban environment (everyday if I choose) vs driving 3 hours away from civilization to enjoy my release 'quietly'...
as well as ride with my son on his Oset MX10

Only casualty this will bring is every blade of grass in my yard will not survive

kind of pain that map selection is not revolving 1 to 4 or 4 to 1 you must go 1 2 3 4 or 4 3 2 1 :-/

bike pretty light for an street able enduro

now I need to sell a couple bikes as my fleet limit is 4! anyone in the market for a track able RC51?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
kind of pain that map selection is not revolving 1 to 4 or 4 to 1 you must go 1 2 3 4 or 4 3 2 1 :-/
I am actually glad that all the way up is 4 and all the way down is 1. That small map indicator is impossible to see when not on smooth asphalt. I do not want to switch or accidentally bump the map switch buttons and be in Map 1 instead of 4, or 4 instead of 1. It is a safety and error-proofing issue for me.

You can also find any desired map blindfolded, if need be.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
oh & BTW ended up picking up a previously bought never used 8000w brigg n stratton generator for charging in the field for 275$
its 300lbs monstrosity thats loud as hell

yeah I get it Honda generators are quiet but no one mentions that thats under no load - load those Honda generators up with the same load & then do a sound meter test at 7m.....

I am working on possibly removing generator from the cage running a remote fuel cell under hood & mounting it to the front bumper of my jeep like a winch...

snydes

Staff member
oh & BTW ended up picking up a previously bought never used 8000w brigg n stratton generator for charging in the field for 275$
its 300lbs monstrosity thats loud as hell

yeah I get it Honda generators are quiet but no one mentions that thats under no load - load those Honda generators up with the same load & then do a sound meter test at 7m.....

I am working on possibly removing generator from the cage running a remote fuel cell under hood & mounting it to the front bumper of my jeep like a winch...

Neat idea!

strider

Map 4 is fun but I now know why most of you stay in the lower maps as battery life is not very long think of sitting in a Ferrari someone handing you keys letting you start it but you then realize it has a tire boot on it
It’s not a controlability issue for me it’s a battery life issue
So I have a map question. In my Tesla it has a "Performance Mode". It allows 100% power output at full throttle and quickens throttle response (there are also some changes in thermal mgmt but won't get into that here).

However, if you take it easy in Performance Mode (ie stay off the accelerator) it doesn't use any more energy than in Standard or Range Mode. Are Alta's different? If I putt around in Map 4 will I use more energy than putting around in Map 1? Can you manage energy usage purely by your right wrist or does the Map matter?

I always drive my Tesla in Performance mode and moderate energy usage with my foot vs the map.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
So I have a map question. In my Tesla it has a "Performance Mode". It allows 100% power output at full throttle and quickens throttle response (there are also some changes in thermal mgmt but won't get into that here).

However, if you take it easy in Performance Mode (ie stay off the accelerator) it doesn't use any more energy than in Standard or Range Mode. Are Alta's different? If I putt around in Map 4 will I use more energy than putting around in Map 1? Can you manage energy usage purely by your right wrist or does the Map matter?

I always drive my Tesla in Performance mode and moderate energy usage with my foot vs the map.

couldnt answer that but I do know regenterative input will change & I dont think I have the kind of right wrist restraint you have in your foot... :)

gprix1

I wish I could change out the throttle tube out. I think map 4 with a Throttle Tamer would be a nice setup. Using map 4 with the straight 1/4 turn throttle is hard to manage in the really tight stuff.

gprix1

Stock ratio (12/53) on the MXR is 4.42
14/53 - 3.79
12/45 - 3.75
13/50 - 3.85 (this is my setup)
I like 13/50 as it’s still a good amount taller gears than stock and I can quickly swap rear wheels with my other 50T KTM wheels. Also, I was able to use the stock chain with only a minor adjustment.

strider

Thanks for the input! I've been a road-racer and road-racing instructor for 20 years (hence the avatar) but all this dirt stuff is new to me. I've only spent 4 hours on a dirt bike and that ended with 2 cracked ribs :cautious: Once I get a dirt bike I'm planning on doing some private lessons along with my son (he's 7).

I am enjoying reading all the info here!

Fod

Im embarassed to say it but in 11 months of ownership i have used map 4 for one ride down my street. Ive just had no need for it while riding and racing.
I was the same till I did the gearing change to 13/47. I still ride mostly in map 3 trying to conserve battery but run map 4 when battery is more then half.

Mark911

I must be the only one who thinks the bike needs more low end pull (all maps). I bought an 11t countershaft sprocket but I'm too afraid to use it, it's soooooo tiny. Going up 1 t on the counter and down 6 on the rear........., that's like 10 teeth total smaller on the rear! Just can't see it working on my local tracks (maybe Glen Helen).

I suggested that Alta change the internal gear reduction so that a more conventional rear sprocket could be used while gearing down a bit. Probably isn't in the cards as it would require a major change to the integrated (cast) frame. A bigger rear sprocket, even if someone made one, would make the bike squat worse than it already does.