2017 MX vs 2018 MXR with Code 36?

JW884

Hi I'm looking to buy an Alta very soon and I've found a used 2017 MX at a dealership and a 2018 MXR with code 36 from a private seller. They are listed at the same price but the MX is across the country and I'd have to pay to have it shipped. The MXR is within reasonable road trip distance. And I'm a B rider that almost only races moto so I've heard R's are better for that. So I was wondering which would be the better option? I believe I've seen some posts on the forum of of the code 36 (typically wire bond issue?) being repaired so didn't know if it'd be worth it. I have a background repairing electronics (Currently sirens & power supplies for old lightbars which can be up to 300v) so I feel like I'd be comfortable opening the pack but have never dealt with wire bonds before. Or if there is anyone on the forums who can fix the pack. Thanks!

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
I have a background repairing electronics (Currently sirens & power supplies for old lightbars which can be up to 300v) so I feel like I'd be comfortable opening the pack but have never dealt with wire bonds before. Or if there is anyone on the forums who can fix the pack. Thanks!

There isnt a true "repair" for the Code 36. Other than physically removing the module out and replacing it with another R module (cannot swap A modules and R modules). Quite a few members on the east coast have done successful module swaps. There are a few people on the west coast who can do the same. But a wire bond is not a light-bar unfortunately. Its a very delicate and intricate process. Its not as easy as taking some wire and connecting the cell back. There are alot of precautions and steps to do it right.

Personally id keep hunting for an MXR (they exist) or find a spare MXR battery. Or if you go with the MXR figure out the necessary resources to fix the pack.

snydes

Staff member
The MXR would be better for Moto, but I would rather not deal with the pack problems. The proximity makes it tempting I’m sure but I’d say hold off for a more desirable situation.

JW884

I appreciate the advice from you guys. It turns out the MXR I was looking at was sold but the site hadn't been updated. I'll keep looking for MXRs but if that MX is still around it might get too tempting for the price haha. I think I could always use it for my backyard track and a practice bike and maybe trade or sell for a MXR later on.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
A bird in the hand is worth two on Craigslist. Meaning: Any Alta you can ride is better than an Alta you haven’t bought yet! The idea of a spare bike is also nice.

Gmac

Hi I'm looking to buy an Alta very soon and I've found a used 2017 MX at a dealership and a 2018 MXR with code 36 from a private seller. They are listed at the same price but the MX is across the country and I'd have to pay to have it shipped. The MXR is within reasonable road trip distance. And I'm a B rider that almost only races moto so I've heard R's are better for that. So I was wondering which would be the better option? I believe I've seen some posts on the forum of of the code 36 (typically wire bond issue?) being repaired so didn't know if it'd be worth it. I have a background repairing electronics (Currently sirens & power supplies for old lightbars which can be up to 300v) so I feel like I'd be comfortable opening the pack but have never dealt with wire bonds before. Or if there is anyone on the forums who can fix the pack. Thanks!

JW884

@AltaWest I actually just signed for a MX so I sadly have to turn down buying any of them. Once I pay the bike off I may have to see if you still have one of them at that point:unsure: