2017 wont turn on

DoubleD

I've reviewed the previous post but did not discover a step by step to address when an Alta does not turn on. Seems guessing but nothing certain.

Please help me verify the steps please

DoubleD

A little brid heard I was looking for known troubleshooting steps.

9 volt
Key switch
Firmware update for good measure

These 3 steps seem to be the order of operation.

Next I'll hunt up videos of how to get to the 9 volt.

Wish me luck

leeo45

Geezer in denial
In a post long ago (07Feb2019) we were informed that you could take the following steps and avoid a lot of work when swapping the 9V battery ....
(snip) For a little bit of help, you can actually maneuver the ACM and get the cover off without pulling the battery and all that other stuff.
Worst case here is the original ALTA video on the 9V battery replacement which requires removing the main battery. You probably want to watch this even if you take the simple route in datadog's post:

YouTube - ALTA 9V Battery Replacement

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Datadog is correct. Ive done a few 9V swaps without removing the battery. Just need to remove:
Shrouds
Deltawing
Main harness from ACM
x4 bolts holding ACM to RBH - then wiggle the ACM to get access.
few screws for the ACM 9V door
Pull 9V
Reinstall 9V
Profit?

DoubleD

I appreciate the kindness. Explicate instructions and or unedited videos will build confidence to give this a try on my part. Seems I need the laptop to assure the optimum results.

The batter is ordered.
I have the tools.
I don't have the laptop.
I don't have a on/off switch.

Hmmmm. I'd like to have everything needed before starting. Perhaps the community will guide resources to help. I'll cover any out of pocket cost.

This is getting exciting.

It's nice knowing we have such a helpful community. Seems we are focused on sustainable measures to keep these wonderful creations in good working order. 9364467966

snydes

Staff member
If you don’t want to purchase a diagnostic laptop setup you can take advantage of this members loaner unit;
Alta Multitool Laptop kit available to Lend

If you are referring to the switch one member installed due to a unidentified parasitic drain, I think I would use that as a last resort if the problem were to happen again.

leeo45

Geezer in denial
If you don’t want to purchase a diagnostic laptop setup you can take advantage of this members loaner unit;
Alta Multitool Laptop kit available to Lend

If you are referring to the switch one member installed due to a unidentified parasitic drain, I think I would use that as a last resort if the problem were to happen again.

Additionally, based on the early 2019 thread I quoted earlier you don't need to the laptop or MultiTool software to replace the 9V battery (even though it is referenced in the official video). You should be able to swap the 9v lithium cell and if that was the problem the bike should wake up and run.

Obviously you will need access to the software and cables to update the firmware on your bike if that is needed.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Additionally, based on the early 2019 thread I quoted earlier you don't need to the laptop or MultiTool software to replace the 9V battery (even though it is referenced in the official video). You should be able to swap the 9v lithium cell and if that was the problem the bike should wake up and run.

Obviously you will need access to the software and cables to update the firmware on your bike if that is needed.
If you can’t wake up the bike, you can’t connect the laptop. The first step to update the software is to turn on the bike.

leeo45

Geezer in denial
If you can’t wake up the bike, you can’t connect the laptop. The first step to update the software is to turn on the bike.

Correct. Possibly unclear wording on my part as I was focusing on the 9V battery replacement. I should have said ‘Once you get the bike to turn on if you need to upgrade the firmware you will need access to the software and cables.’

Mark911

If you can’t wake up the bike, you can’t connect the laptop. The first step to update the software is to turn on the bike.[/QUOT
Not necessarily. You can hot wire the bike to get power for multitool communication. Just connect any good 12v source to the main power bus and it should light up.