2018 MXR Mods

VINSANITY

I also have the Shinko fatty front tire based on a thread from AOF - really recommend installing tubliss system as you can run much lower tire pressures - I think it saves me from crashing from time to time and if you do get a flat you can ride back to camp as the inner high pressure tube keeps the rim from getting damaged

It is a bear to install though and I had to run sealant to keep it from leaking - all in all worth the effort for trail riding in my opinion

Motophyllic

I just put tubliss on a Bridgestone m59 front and Kenda trials rear. Just worried about the m59 being too skinny for the enduro riding I do.

F451

I had the Tubliss setup on my KTM 350 it worked ok, but too fiddly for me. Flatting hasn't been to much of an issue for me over the years. The few flats I've had were easily fixed on the trail, or I'd just ride them out, especially if its a rear flat. I think my longest flat ride was about 15 miles on my YZ250, wasn't bad at all, didn't even trash the rim. Large zip ties if the tire comes off the rim shoulder holds the tire on just fine. Running 12/10 psi usually, sometimes lower, seems to be working fine, especially with the Alta, thing is a tractor as long as I don't stop on a steep loose hill. 270 lbs porker, can be tricky to get going again.

I can't wait for my dream bike, 230 lbs (or less!), 100 mile trail range, quick change battery, lower price. I don't think I'll see that in my riding lifetime but a guy can dream, Lol.

F451

I just put tubliss on a Bridgestone m59 front and Kenda trials rear. Just worried about the m59 being too skinny for the enduro riding I do.

I was loving the fatty front, it seemed to go right where I pointed it, climbed ruts nicely, cushy ride. The climbing ruts nicely can either be a pro or con depending though, sometimes it starts grabbing and climbing when you don't want it too, its amazing what a difference just a few mm's in width can make.

I'll have to see how it does in the dry, and also how the side knobs hold up, the Shinko brand fatty has a reputation for loosing the side knobs quickly. I got this one so cheaply I'm not worried about it if it does. The purchase was an experiment, so far, so good. If the Shinko proves to wear too quickly, I'll go with the original Golden Tyre fatty next time.

And I was a little worried that the fatty would slow down the steering, but that doesn't seem to be an issue, or perhaps I'm just not noticing it at my casual trail riding pace.

AJLats17

I want to replace my Alta mxr triple clamp steering stem bearings does anyone what bearings fit? I found one through liquid is this only one I need? I’ve never replaced triples before.

I want to replace my Alta mxr triple clamp steering stem bearings does anyone what bearings fit? I found one through liquid is this only one I need? I’ve never replaced triples before.
AJ - Is there no numbers or info on the old bearings?.

AJLats17

I found wheel bearings on eBay through liquid im assuming they are right but I won’t know until I receive them once I do I’ll respond back w item numbers and pics. I’m doing a total suspension rebuild on my mxr for motocross I took my 4cs forks n shock off my Exr (wanted keep my aer forks as backups n since they interchange y not fix weaker of two forks) and sent them to Stilwell performance. I’m getting dal saggio sphere kit complete inserts (only thing reused is tubes) they even come w really nice top caps and clickers, getting Kashima coated uppers, DLC coated lowers, powder coating black lugs and hardware. Rear shock is getting mxt tech 2.0 Kashima coated bigger reservoir and shaft dlc coated then obv spring n revalved everything for me. Reason I asked about wheel bearings I wanted to freshen everything up, new triples & bearings in front, new tri link w new bushings, new dogbone w bushings as well. I should get it back this week. I’ll upload pictures n provide feedback as the couple guys I saw use Dal saggio spheres said they are better than a works kyb which is a big claim. I have a 23 yz250F w springs & revalve kybs so it’ll be a easy way to ride them back to back n see. I’ll prob eventually get lowers dlc coated on kybs to make a more equal comparison but that’s prob on my next service at end of year. It’ll be tailored for moto as I do very little trail riding.

Motophyllic

I just sent mine out for Ohlins front and rear. Probably cost as much as a dal Saggios I hope I made the right decision.

AJLats17

I looked at kyb conversion, cone valves, ohlins & Dal Saggio. Come valves are way to expensive and I don’t know one person who’s ridden both Dal saggio and cone valve who preferred cone valves. Kyb is close to Dal saggio but there is lot more attention to detail in Dal saggio and they cost about same. If I was mainly enduro or trail riding would’ve thought more about ohlins and for price it’s a lot cheaper and more geared toward that those gold forks are gorgeous. Ohlins do work well in mx I just don’t think as well through all areas of mx. You do mostly mx or enduro type stuff?

Motophyllic

These are for MX, but I have an enduro EXR I want to make better as well. Another member put Ohlins on his and loved it, so maybe I’ll try the Dal Saggio on one and Ohlins on the other. It’s so hard to pick. Hopefully you’ll keep us posted on how you like them.

Motophyllic

Am I looking at the right Dal Saggio? Looks like $2100 for fork cartridges. That’s very fair if that’s what we’re talking about, but I think they are way more.

AJLats17

Am I looking at the right Dal Saggio? Looks like $2100 for fork cartridges. That’s very fair if that’s what we’re talking about, but I think they are way more.
My Dal saggio sphere inserts should get sent to me this week. Yea that’s rights about 2k just for inserts but then you need springs, oil I’d recommend redoing seals and bushings at same time as well, someone to valve it for your type of riding etc. if you just send in your 4cs tubes to get inserts it’ll end up being right around 22-25 I’d guess depending if you get anything else. I got my front n rear done w coatings so it was way more bc coatings are expensive. I’d recommend at least dlc on bottom forks. I’ll report back once I have Dal saggio. Mine are being setup for MX. Ohlins are lot cheaper I think about 1400 for the entire forks complete.

AJLats17

I typed it backwards ohlins (3-3400) are lot more bc u get complete forks w coatings etc. however if u add coatings to your tubes for Dal saggio they cost similar if that helps. I do t think u can go wrong either way it’s all how they are valved. Both are great setups.

Motophyllic

Andreani in NC just got my forks back from DLC coating. He’s valving and springing them for me. New rear Ohlins shock. They should be done next week. I saved $1600 doing cartridges over complete forks. $3800 this way vs $5400. It’s just crazy what they cost. I’ll let you know how they are. Im anxious to hear from you.

AJLats17

Andreani in NC just got my forks back from DLC coating. He’s valving and springing them for me. New rear Ohlins shock. They should be done next week. I saved $1600 doing cartridges over complete forks. $3800 this way vs $5400. It’s just crazy what they cost. I’ll let you know how they are. Im anxious to hear from you.
Yea I kno mine cost 4k for complete front n rear I took my 4cs gutted them n putting in Dal saggio spheres Kashima coating on top, dlc on bottom, powder coating black lugs n hardware. Spring n revalve for mx n me obv, rear shock I add mxt tech 2.0 Kashima coated reservoir (bigger piston more oil), dlc coated shock shaft then spring n revalved for me all new seals n bushings etc. Stillwell performance doing all work I’ll post pics n feedback once back on bike. I think best bang for buck would b to take aer forks n use 6500 cartridge kit it’s only 1300 but I didn’t want to change my aer forks just yet. I’ve read keepers reviews and he preferred 6500 over come valves for most part.

Motophyllic

Can’t wait to see and hear how it turns out. Good luck man. I’ll let you know how mine are. I wish I didn’t waste $2200 on two bike’s suspension at KTM World.

VINSANITY

747C748C-4B66-462A-BBBA-1BBDB942914C.jpegI plan to put my Ohlins fork and shock for sale in the near future. They are used but in really good condition. Asking $2,000 plus shipping.

All I can say is this set up performs much better than the modified WP EXR fork and shock I got from Phillip. The Ohlins resists bottoming much better and is less harsh which ends up being less fatiguing.

Top Bottom