2nd Alternate / Additional Alta Display?

F451

Hey guys,

Seeing Matt's awesome thread about moving the Alta's display got me wondering if anyone knows of any reasonably priced alternate displays that could be used as a 2nd display on our Altas (if we moved our original Alta displays to a safer location on the bike)?

I like Matt's idea of moving the Alta display to a safer location, but of course don't want to lose the ability to glance down and quickly see that info like you can with a traditional speedo, for example a KTM or TrailTech Endurance type speedo:

202-119.jpg

Has anyone figured out if its possible to install a 2nd display that could show what the current Alta display shows? SOC, mph, map selection (1-4). Hours, odometer, trip meter functions would be nice while we're at it, but what I'd really want at a minimum are SOC, mph, map selection. I wouldn't even need the buttton/input capability, a dumb display would be just fine.

I guess another possibility would be to install a stand alone Traitech Endurance (or any number of cheap bicycle) type speedo to display mph, trip miles, but of course it wouldn't be tied into the Altas system, so it wouldn't show SOC, or map selection. If its possible to tap into the Alta's harness, perhaps a separate, small SOC display could be installed and mounted somewhere on the handlebars or near the speedo if a complete speedo like the Endurance could not be found, or modified to tap into the Alta info?

It's been almost 2 years since there's been any updates on this thread "Display alternative with additional features", but it seems like its possible to tap into the Atlas harness and display the data. The OP on that thread did some great work, but it sounded like he was aiming for collecting and displaying a lot more data, and at a much higher price, then I would need or want.

2nd Display Feature List:
  1. 2nd SOC/Speedo display (that allows the stock Alta display to moved to a safer location on the bike, but still displays the Alta display data)
  2. 2nd display is small enough to be mounted where a typical dirt bike speedo is mounted (in front of the bars behind the number plate/headlight plastics).
  3. 2nd display data:
    • SOC
    • MPH
    • Map selection (1-4)
  4. 2nd display optional data
    • Hours
    • Odometer
    • Trip 1
    • Trip 2
  5. 2nd display optional functionality: buttons that mimic the stock Alta display button's functionality.
  6. Ruggedized: waterproof, shockproof, etc.
Anybody got any ideas here?

Thanks. -Ed

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I have an idea. You could buy a second display from @Rashid510 and mount it somewhere hidden away. If the original breaks, then plug the harness into the second display.

This option used to cost $200. Not sure what it costs now.

F451

I have an idea. You could buy a second display from @Rashid510 and mount it somewhere hidden away. If the original breaks, then plug the harness into the second display.

This option used to cost $200. Not sure what it costs now.

Thanks that’s not a bad idea. If I went that route, I think I’d just keep the 2nd display as a backup and not install it. Just keep it stored so the bike isn’t out of commission in the event the original display gets damaged.

Install an Alta vault display protector, have a backup display ready to go in the unlikely event the original gets damaged.

I do like the idea of moving the Alta display to a safer spot though, seems unnecessarily vulnerable in the stock location, even with Alta vault type protection.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Displays are still buildable. But V1 displays are long in the tooth. The 200.00 cost that @Philip is quoting is related to the display board itself. The physical display replacement/fix is a bit more (labor/materials). Everyone is aware the V1 display is a interesting piece of the bike, especially with the development of the Alta Vault.

Since the display is part of the CAN loop of the vehicle the display needs to be part of the system. I think mentioned this before but there are a few possibilities:

1) A CAN "spoofer"; a dongle which replaces the display entirely, has a few LEDs to indicate the SOC (green 80%, yellow 50%, red 25%, flashing below 5%) and also the CAN loop to close. That way your hiding a small little box and then run a dash pad or bar pad to your liking. The main hurdle is getting the right CAN signals to handshake with the box. Once those signals are identified, this option could go further.

2) Potentially a V2 display (using the V2 parts that are at liquid performance) which is more robust/well built. Before we went under the plan was to make a "in house" version of the V1 display. This display was put together a bit better, had an internal connector which is disconnect able and more mechanical fixation on the harness than before. Only hurdle here is the display plastic was tooled, but the PO was never cut. So those parts never came to see the light of day in production. Which now is fun to tool.

Matt

E-Rider
What if somone spliced into the cable that goes to the data port. That could be tied into to anything that can run multitool, the same way we connect to the bike now. This way you could have something like a raspberry pi in the frame connected to a screen that you put anywhere displaying the dashboard on multitool which has SOC and such

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
What if somone spliced into the cable that goes to the data port. That could be tied into to anything that can run multitool, the same way we connect to the bike now. This way you could have something like a raspberry pi in the frame connected to a screen that you put anywhere displaying the dashboard on multitool which has SOC and such

Not sure if that will function...since when do you plug the diagnostic connector into MT, The bike goes into a "diagnostic mode".

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
When I have mine connected I am still able to have it drive from my recollection. I will test it again tonight. It shows motor rpm while moving.

Well.. I totally remembered you can. This is how we ran on the dyno at Alta. (Bike on the dyno with MT plugged in) Also confirmed this morning when I was lubing my chain on my SM. The "diagnostic mode" is when your testing inputs/outputs.

Where would you fit the pi and screen? Also that connector would have to waterproof since the plug on the ACM is meant for that. (Could lead to ACM issues)

Matt

E-Rider
Well.. I totally remembered you can. This is how we ran on the dyno at Alta. (Bike on the dyno with MT plugged in) Also confirmed this morning when I was lubing my chain on my SM. The "diagnostic mode" is when your testing inputs/outputs.

Where would you fit the pi and screen? Also that connector would have to waterproof since the plug on the ACM is meant for that. (Could lead to ACM issues)
There would for sure be challenges. Just an idea. Personally I was trying to get it working on an old cellphone I have. With how cheap old cell phones are it would be a cool way to have a screen alternative

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
There would for sure be challenges. Just an idea. Personally I was trying to get it working on an old cellphone I have. With how cheap old cell phones are it would be a cool way to have a screen alternative

That would be cool. USB on the box. Then some sort of HDMI/USB-C to display the screen. (Or some sort of USB-C/A to get the cell phone)

Josani43

Displays are still buildable. But V1 displays are long in the tooth. The 200.00 cost that @Philip is quoting is related to the display board itself. The physical display replacement/fix is a bit more (labor/materials). Everyone is aware the V1 display is a interesting piece of the bike, especially with the development of the Alta Vault.

Since the display is part of the CAN loop of the vehicle the display needs to be part of the system. I think mentioned this before but there are a few possibilities:

1) A CAN "spoofer"; a dongle which replaces the display entirely, has a few LEDs to indicate the SOC (green 80%, yellow 50%, red 25%, flashing below 5%) and also the CAN loop to close. That way your hiding a small little box and then run a dash pad or bar pad to your liking. The main hurdle is getting the right CAN signals to handshake with the box. Once those signals are identified, this option could go further.

2) Potentially a V2 display (using the V2 parts that are at liquid performance) which is more robust/well built. Before we went under the plan was to make a "in house" version of the V1 display. This display was put together a bit better, had an internal connector which is disconnect able and more mechanical fixation on the harness than before. Only hurdle here is the display plastic was tooled, but the PO was never cut. So those parts never came to see the light of day in production. Which now is fun to tool.
Can we also replace those with the Polaris Accessories for the Can Am Truck's Display?

fsfs

Do you know the protocol or have the source code for the display?