Alta Factory LHRB

Alta_mxr

Ok because of the current status at Alta I decided to get an Alta LHRB setup. Mainly cause the rear brake pedal is a pretty hokie piece. I will have to move my rear brake light switch to the front brake MC banjo bolt as the Alta rear setup removes the place for it. Luckily sicass makes one with a 90 bend on it.

I have done this once before way back when Rekluse had the option for handlebar rear brake probably 12years ago. I went all in and removed the the foot pedal too. I think I had to on the early rekluse kit like the Alta kit.
I quickly went back to pedal. If I remember correctly it was weird not having a place for my foot to rest. I also drag my rear brake a lot with my foot probably a bad habit. I really don’t think I gave it enough time to learn it.

So my question for the group is anybody use the handlebar rear brake lever only setup? And in mostly single track technical riding but at a good clip did you eventually like the setup better than the rear pedal way. Trying to decide whether to put the kit and switch in my Alta spares for when pedal breaks off or put in on now and start learning the new way.

snydes

Staff member
I use the handlebar only setup. Didn't like it at first. Only time I really miss the foot brake anymore is if I'm stopped on a hill and want to take my hands off the bars. Can't "put it in gear" and shut it off, can't step on the brake to hold it there. Other than that I love it.

Alta_mxr

Good point on that one didn’t think about the no hands deal. Have you used your bike a lot in single track trails with this s setup?

snydes

Staff member
Honestly no, mostly MX but the trail riding I have done I thought having the control in your hand was quite an advantage. Didn't miss the foot brake when riding, but for some that can be so ingrained that it's hard to change.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
For the same money you can buy the individual components and keep the foot brake and the brake light switch. I have a number of the Clake inserts if you need one asap, as well as all the part numbers and the part number of the custom brake hose.

I ride a lot of ST and the foot brake is handy when you have to stop, move a branch, take the goggles off, look at the map, etc. That's about all I use it for. When racing or riding I LOVE the LHRB, everything about it is better than the foot brake.

Warren

I use the handlebar only setup. Didn't like it at first. Only time I really miss the foot brake anymore is if I'm stopped on a hill and want to take my hands off the bars. Can't "put it in gear" and shut it off, can't step on the brake to hold it there. Other than that I love it.
I found the same thing, on my MXR but all in all once you get used to it you’ll love it and I wouldn’t go back. Plus no worry about breaking off the tabs off the motor in a crash on the right side.

Oded

I have the Rekluse kit installed on my Redshift.
I never use the foot brake (although the Rekluse kit uses both foot and hand levers).
I love the fine sensitivity that the hand brake provide, as opposed to the foot brake.
If Someone took off the foot lever, I won't notice.
Use the bike for enduro only, no mx.

Slayer

Ok because of the current status at Alta I decided to get an Alta LHRB setup. Mainly cause the rear brake pedal is a pretty hokie piece. I will have to move my rear brake light switch to the front brake MC banjo bolt as the Alta rear setup removes the place for it. Luckily sicass makes one with a 90 bend on it.

So my question for the group is anybody use the handlebar rear brake lever only setup? And in mostly single track technical riding but at a good clip did you eventually like the setup better than the rear pedal way. Trying to decide whether to put the kit and switch in my Alta spares for when pedal breaks off or put in on now and start learning the new way.

Nothing but the foot peg down there on my ERX now. I don't even think about the old pedal when off road, but have found myself looking for it on the street occasionally. If safety is the concern, I believe you will find (as it was pointed out to me) that the front brake does most of the signaling.

Also, not sure that brake light plan is going to work out? If it does please share the set up. I was thinking perhaps a lever activated switch (like the front brake).

If you search "LHRB" in the forum here, you may find some additional information of interest.

Alta_mxr

Thanks for all the response. Gotta love the forum. I guess when I get the stuff I will install and start learning. Then I’ll put the rear brake pedal in reserves instead.

Motophyllic

I had the dealer install the LHRB when I bought the bike new. I found myself stomping on air with my right foot a couple times, but overall, I’ve come to only want the hand lever. I just bought another EXR and need to get rid of that foot brake and get one up top.

Reactions: Rix

VINSANITY

I have done this once before way back when Rekluse had the option for handlebar rear brake probably 12years ago. I went all in and removed the the foot pedal too. I think I had to on the early rekluse kit like the Alta kit.
I quickly went back to pedal. If I remember correctly it was weird not having a place for my foot to rest. I also drag my rear brake a lot with my foot probably a bad habit. I really don’t think I gave it enough time to learn it.

Want purchase an Alta factory LHB Kit - does anyone know where I can get one.

snydes

Staff member
Brakes are all Brembo items, levers are standard KTM, front brake is 2014 KTM or Motion Pro #14-9012. Rear brake if using the Alta LHRB kit is also a KTM/Brembo lever, don't have the year or model of what KTM was the same but it is Motion Pro #14-9010.