ALTA SM NOT CHARGING,NO ERROR CODE, JUST SAYS"AC GROUND NOT DETECTED"

B. FRANK

TRIED TO RIDE MY ALTA SM TODAY BUT THE BATTERY HAD NOT RECHARGED SINCE LAST RIDE, SCREEN SAID"AC GROUND NOT
DETECTED" TRIED SEVERAL DIFFERENT OUTLETS AND SEVERAL DIFFERENT CORDS,TURNED KEY SWITCH AND KILL SWITCH ON AND OFF NO CHANGE ..BIKE WON'T CHARGE. I'VE OWNED THE BIKE FOR 2 YEARS, BOUGHT IT NEW AND NEVER HAD ANY TROUBLE UNTIL NOW. I LOVE THE BIKE AND DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO PARK IT FOREVER. ANY THOUGHTS?

snydes

Staff member
Hmmm...just to rule out the unlikely possibility that there is a ground issue with your electric service, are you or have you tried an outlet on a different service or at least a separate circuit? I’m not familiar with the SM on board charger, but I can say the external chargers are VERY finicky with grounds. Just brainstorming.

rayivers

Try connecting the bike chassis metal to an actual earth ground (metal cold-water pipe is OK, house power-entry ground stake is ideal) before the next charge attempt. This connection should be completely separate from any house wiring and is not intended as a permanent fix, only a diagnostic test.

snydes

Staff member
At the end of the day if none of the easy stuff works out this sounds like it would be an issue with the on board charger. If there is a failure with the charger somewhere, then you would have to plan on removing it from the bike and finding someone who may be able to troubleshoot and repair it. Unfortunately I don’t know of anyone selling one at this point. There was at least one instance that I can recall where an SM had an charger failure and the owner (who was fortunately close to some Alta people) ditched the OBC and converted it to an external charger. I’m not sure on any availability on the DC charge ports though either, but I am guessing there is a better chance of finding one of those (worst case). Obviously then you also would need the charger as well, which those can be found.

Just letting you know what you might be up against.

B. FRANK

thanks but I have a lot of other options to check first. I really want to keep the charging system (method) I have. this is a street bike and I like to ride to work which is 3/4 charge from home. I really don't want to carry and set up a charger at work. still thanks for the input it is greatly appreciated.

Jared

thanks but I have a lot of other options to check first. I really want to keep the charging system (method) I have. this is a street bike and I like to ride to work which is 3/4 charge from home. I really don't want to carry and set up a charger at work. still thanks for the input it is greatly appreciated.
This is a long shot, but is there any chance the ground terminal in the plug on the bike has somehow gotten loose or pushed in or is floating so that it doesn’t connect with the extension cord when you plug it in? I hope you are able to get your bike charging again soon.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
I have continuity between ground plug and bike frame so I am assuming plug is intact. thanks for the guess though every thought helps

push or trailer it to a different house altogether?

start taking it apart to look for clues. unplug the battery connectors for a while.

This is a long shot, but is there any chance the ground terminal in the plug on the bike has somehow gotten loose or pushed in or is floating so that it doesn’t connect with the extension cord when you plug it in? I hope you are able to get your bike charging again soon.

Within the SM charger it confirms that the power going in is "safe". An update was made to SM charger to make that a bit more flexible. You need to update your charger either at a dealer or try to get multi-tool on the bike...otherwise the only solution is a SM to DCCP swap.

B. FRANK

the only Alta dealer that I knew of in the vicinity was stumpys (where I bought the bike) and they are not answering their phone. I don't know if it's a covid thing, they're on vacation or if they've gone out of business. I can't find any info online and I don't know how to find out what dealers used to carry Alta. today I disconnected every plug I could and sprayed electrical contact cleaner and reconnected but no change, disconnected battery for a half hour and reconnected but still no change. truth is I am afraid of electricity and I don't wanna get zapped poking around where I shouldn't. I really want to find a place that used to work on these and bring it there. I know that sounds wimpy but i'de rather be an alive wimp than a dead amateur electrician. can you dig it?

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Ah. Washington Crossing, PA. I was misreading your profile, and didn’t realize that was a real town. My bad. We have quite a few members in PA, including @snydes. Should be able to get you diagnosed.

Top Bottom