BRP - showcase

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Actually quite impressive! Wondering how much of Alta tech makes up the powertrains and software?

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
F@&k BRP with a rusty cactus.

They're going to have to really come up with some damn cool toys to change my mind, not sure how I feel about this offering yet.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I am disappointed that the design of the 2-wheeled concepts makes them more attractive to people who have never bought motorcycles before and probably never will.

privateer703

AOF Addict
I am disappointed that the design of the 2-wheeled concepts makes them more attractive to people who have never bought motorcycles before and probably never will.
But if it is more attractive to those who have never bought or ridden a motorcycle then maybe some of them will and that only helps to generate more innovation and production to the market.
I have a hard time picturing a jet ski that will have any kind of range or run time when powered by batteries. Now if someone innovates a new hydrofoil based jet ski, then you might have a little more legs to it.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
But if it is more attractive to those who have never bought or ridden a motorcycle then maybe some of them will and that only helps to generate more innovation and production to the market.
Initially, electric cars weren't selling to any noticeable extent affecting the car market. All the electric and hybrid cars used to be designed to look weird and futuristic by engineers who hated current gas cars and wanted to build futuristic weird-looking ugly people movers.

This went on until the engineers at Tesla started building cars that actually looked appealing to potential customers currently living on Earth.

And the rest is history. Electric cars and motorcycles do not have to look different for the sake of looking different.

The electric powertrain opens up opportunities to remove the stuff that is no longer needed (big radiators with large grills/shrouds), as well as to add new features that would be a welcomed change from the norm (a "frunk" on Tesla cars, a 240V power outlet on the Tesla truck, a LHRB on the Alta, or even the clear and open space under the seat). The electric powertrain does not demand that you make cars that look like spacecrafts, or motorcycles that look like electric toasters.

privateer703

AOF Addict
In that case they would be less attractive. Hasn't it been that manufacturers are always looking for a way to change the design in order to make it attractive to those people not already buying their product? If it works, then they get new customers. If the design only brings in a few customers and loses them more, then they ditch it, or in some cases they keep both product lines to satisfy multiple customer bases. Who remembers New Coke? Crystal Pepsi? What about when SUV's first entered the market. People thought what the hell is that car used for?? But no matter if you like it or not, if more customers buy motorcycles, more bikes will be produced and that means more options and who doesn't like more options? We can hate Harley for any number of reasons (I know, I know, f@#$ Harley), but their early designs created an entire culture which then allowed more manufacturers to enter the market and offer consumers all kinds of options. But if you were an Indian owner at the time I'm sure you thought the new HDs were ugly as hell. I think the Livewire is ugly, like a pregnant triumph, but if it succeeds then other manufacturers will get in and maybe offer something I do like. I know that's a terrible example in this forum since in that case it caused the death of our beloved bikes, but it's pertinent to the EV bike world. At least their trying to do something good out of Alta's demise, even if their doing it poorly. It's almost as if Alta was too ahead of it's time.

Potatonet

Having worked at Tesla briefly I saw impending doom written on the walls during the early phase pre model S, I felt the end was coming and I was barely there!

Elon was willing to borrow money from anywhere, willing to hustle to the least common denominator.

Altas owners were from the sounds of it, tired, having minimal sales and high costs and running out of money from investors. The product was perfect, the time and place for an electric motorcycle was not (at least with the body and build of the Alta).

Regardless the bikes are absolutely amazing, a few hitches, but another contender will come in to take their place.

If there is one thing I’ve learned about electric motorcycles having seen two companies crashed by Harley Davidson... is that you don’t fucking talk to Harley about an acquisition because it will end your business.