Building a Mini-toyhauler.

Trialsman

My wife and I have had an Aliner pop-up trailer for several years now. She is really into sewing/quilting and often wants to visit stores when we are on vacation. This leaves me with nothing to do so I got an idea. One model Aliner had a 58" front deck to haul toys, I don't need that much, just enough for the Alta. So I got to work with the plasma cutter.

IMG_5396.jpg

I guess it i too late to reconsider.

IMG_5402.jpg

Trialsman

I ordered steel and got to work building a wider and 16" longer front to the frame to accommodate the Alta on the front. Welding flat is easy, welding vertical is challenging, welding overhead is ridiculous. I did get some special "quick chill" rods that helped. In the end it came out really well.

IMG_5406.jpgIMG_5413.jpg

Trialsman

As is usually the case the welds get better as you go so by the time you are done they are good. This was one of the first vertical welds. It has a little undercut so I went over it again.

IMG_5416.JPG

The decking is a good place to get footing and store other things such as the generator and cooler. This was easy because I could use the MIG to tack the ends. I moved the battery to the rear to start to balance the increased tongue weight.

IMG_5421.jpg

Trialsman

The two tabs on each side are for a shelf to increase dimension when needed for wheelbase. Here is a test to see if everything fits with the Alta onboard. It works. The loading ramp I TIGed from aluminum and it stores as a railing in front of the bike. It attaches to either side to load or unload.
IMG_5427.jpg

Here is the new baby next to his older brother.

IMG_5426.jpg

Trialsman

Well I got it done. Went through the welds once more and cleaned up any missed spots, holes, undercuts, etc. After I painted it I weighed the tongue weight from the overhead beam and it is 174# empty. I have 400# with a max of 600# to work with so I'm pretty sure I can shuffle gear in the trailer to compensate for the bike. I took it out for a test run and the car was trim and the handling was normal.

Now, onto the next project!
IMG_5429.jpg

IMG_5430.jpg

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Is it feasible to relocate the dual propane tanks to the rear of the trailer? You could go up a tank size and add more counter weight if needed.

SuburbanDad

Well I got it done. Went through the welds once more and cleaned up any missed spots, holes, undercuts, etc. After I painted it I weighed the tongue weight from the overhead beam and it is 174# empty. I have 400# with a max of 600# to work with so I'm pretty sure I can shuffle gear in the trailer to compensate for the bike. I took it out for a test run and the car was trim and the handling was normal.

Great idea and ballsy to just do the mod. Looks great and the trailer is much more functional now. Congrats and I hope you can shift enough around to account for the additional tongue weight. I'll second others and suggest you put a rack on the back if only to balance the weight - perhaps a receiver hitch rack for the back.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
I ordered steel and got to work building a wider and 16" longer front to the frame to accommodate the Alta on the front. Welding flat is easy, welding vertical is challenging, welding overhead is ridiculous. I did get some special "quick chill" rods that helped. In the end it came out really well.

View attachment 2035View attachment 2036

To avoid overhead and vertical welds, just flip the trailer over!

Sweet project!

Top Bottom