Cold weather storage

Bendejo

Just bought a Varg last week and love it! I live in New England and temps are starting to drop. Im asking this after reading the cold weather concerns posted in 2018/2019 about the Alta’s. Is there any differences when it comes to the stark? Should I store it in my house/ basement? Should I not ride it in the cold? Thanks,

-Ben

Theo

Should I not ride it in the cold?
According to the manual, you shouldn't charge a battery at less than 4°C, i. e. 40°F.
Riding at sub freezing temperature as far as I've understood is not recommended but nor it is forbidden.

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
Just bought a Varg last week and love it! I live in New England and temps are starting to drop. Im asking this after reading the cold weather concerns posted in 2018/2019 about the Alta’s. Is there any differences when it comes to the stark? Should I store it in my house/ basement? Should I not ride it in the cold? Thanks,

-Ben
Here is the thing Ben, if you store your bike with the battery at about 65% SOC, the colder the better, as long as you are not charging/discharging it. As others have said, if charging it, or plan on operating it during the winter months, warm that battery up.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
if you store your bike with the battery at about 65% SOC, the colder the better, as long as you are not charging/discharging it.
I remember someone suggested that a good long-term storage method would be to remove the battery, put it in a plastic bag, and store it in a deep freezer.

In theory, this sounds correct. However, I would be concerned about all the microchips and PCBs that may not be designed for below-freezing temperatures.

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
I remember someone suggested that a good long-term storage method would be to remove the battery, put it in a plastic bag, and store it in a deep freezer.

In theory, this sounds correct. However, I would be concerned about all the microchips and PCBs that may not be designed for below-freezing temperatures.
There may be a point that becomes too cold. Many years ago, I did some informal Rider R&D for Stealth, and -11F didn't have any damaging affects on their batteries. 30% reduction in range, less power, and more volt sag was apparent, but the cells were not damaged at all when their US Tech Support guy "Sage" disassembled and inspected the pack and tested it's cells.

John Lindemann

I have been riding an Alta EX for 6 years. It’s stored in my unheated barn and ridden in temperatures as low as the high 20s F. I always store the bike fully charged and have never tried to charge it at temperatures below freezing. Lithium batteries do not like extreme temperatures and I doubt that the Varg would even accept a charge below a certain temperature.