Error stop 103, fast charger not working

Topfridgeman

Hello

I wonder if anyone could help me solve a problem with my fast charger. I have just purchased a virtually new 2018 mxr and had it shipped to the UK.
I already own an older mxr and have the older style charger. The new Mxr came with a fast charger, but will not charge the bike. The older charger works fine on both bikes.
When I try to charge with the new fast charger it says Stop 103 error on the bikes dash. It does the same on both bikes.
I have fitted the correct 16 amp connector to the chargers and use 240v power supplies. I am qualified electrically and have tried the charger on various power supplies and even with a 110v transformer. At home and the track we have a dedicated 16a 240v power supply for the bike chargers.

Is there a software update for the bike or the charger which will let me use my new charger? How will I achieve this over in the UK?

Thanks, Colin.

Topfridgeman

This is a fairly common fault, usually caused by a problem with the building wiring/circuit or the GFCI on the charger. There are quite a few threads here discussing this same issue.
So do I need to swap the gfci from the other charger to try?

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
That would be a simple way to verify it's the problem. And it seems the GFCI supplied with the fast charger does not function well on European circuits. There is another thread here that has a link to a replacement GFCI at Amazon that is Euro specific.

Topfridgeman

I have tried the charger with the GFCI, (which I assume is the earth leakage yellow box on the power line before the charger) removed from the cable. It still has the same fault when tested. Any other ideas? The standard charger still works on both bikes.

Colin.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
At this point, your issue is past my ability to diagnose from half a planet away... You may have a defective charger.

However if any of the actual experts would like to offer suggestions that I may not have thought of, fire away.

paul34

I had the same problem and did some troubleshooting with Mark911 and found that the converter (produced in china) wasn't producing the DC power needed. It is also silicone filled and unable to really dig into it to determine it's faults. I was able to find the manufacturer but they said they can't do anything about it because the Alta requires the CAN wires that I have no idea how to integrate. I ended up buying another charger. Good luck finding a solution. If you do please let me know, I'd still like to make the repairs to the bad unit if possible.