Want to buy Ex front wheel spacers

Wnuudiction

I tried to have my local shop call Warp 9 today and order the bearing and spacer kit but they said Alta 2.0 won’t let them sell the spacers anymore. Anyone got any they want to part with?

leeo45

Geezer in denial
I tried to have my local shop call Warp 9 today and order the bearing and spacer kit but they said Alta 2.0 won’t let them sell the spacers anymore. Anyone got any they want to part with?

Wheel spacers are not exactly a high tech, major IP component so it would be interesting to hear what is behind that restriction. There are lots of brands and vendors selling wheel spacers and bearing kits for KTMs and all of the Japanese bikes even though you can buy the OEM parts from the dealer. Doesn't really seem to make sense unless it is just a blanket directive to all former vendors, and even then still seems questionable. Do we need to take the Parts & Accessories Forums underground?

WHAT??! I was late to call Warp 9 by a few minutes today, they just closed. Need to find out what exactly BRP told them.

I won't duplicate your call to Warp 9, but if you get the chance please also ask them about full wheels in addition to parts. Or possibly wheels that might happen to fit a Redshift w/o the ALTA spacers. :cool:

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I won't duplicate your call to Warp 9, but if you get the chance please also ask them about full wheels in addition to parts. Or possibly wheels that might happen to fit a Redshift w/o the ALTA spacers. :cool:
The rear Alta wheels are exactly the same as KTM's.

The front Alta wheels have hubs that are wider by 7mm on each side. KTM wheels will fit too, just with 7mm axle spacers and 7mm caliper spacers.

leeo45

Geezer in denial
The rear Alta wheels are exactly the same as KTM's.

The front Alta wheels have hubs that are wider by 7mm on each side. KTM wheels will fit too, just with 7mm axle spacers and 7mm caliper spacers.

Yep, definitely aware of this. It is probably good that you repeated it here for people who didn't follow the earlier threads.

I fabricated a caliper spacer months ago and have mounted both KTM dirt and SM wheels on the EXR. This includes the KTM caliper relocator for the big disc on the SM wheel. Everything worked well and the SM wheels are great fun. I also have a second set of the ALTA spacers.

However, my rear SMR wheel is probably too wide for the Redshift so I have been thinking about getting either 17" (SM) or 19" (FT) wheels from Warp 9. If they can't sell these wheels any longer then I'll need to rethink those plans. Thanks.

And Wnuudiction - sorry about hijacking your WTB thread.

rayivers

Just fwiw, as of 11/24/18 Warp 9 sold complete Alta rear wheels with spacers, and complete Alta front wheels without spacers.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
About the front spacers... I just got off the phone with Warp 9. They have never had the front wheel spacers. Alta has been making the front spacers themselves. This is why they do not have them.

BRP hasn't called them, I was glad to hear that.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Philip, I had noticed mine had deep groves in them when I replaced the front wheel bearings. Eventually the new seals won't be able to "seal" out the water and dirt.

Wnuudiction

I could make those spacers, should be easy. Need about 4-6 weeks.

Why do you need them, I am curious, and how soon do you need them?
One just got seized in the inner race of the bearing. I had changed the tire twice, removed the wheel, lubing the shaft every time but I never thought to remove and lube the spacer each time(they were so loose on my previous bike they would usually just fall out), I will now. But to get it out took a lot of heat, penetrating oil and tapping with a socket that mared the inner edge of the spacer. I took the nicks out on the grinding wheel but I just want to have a set for my dirt tires and a set for my street tire.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I was planning to make some 7mm spacers for folks to use with KTM front wheels, but many of the same folks just switched their triple clamps as well, plus Alta just closed doors.

I wonder if those spacers are the same as KTM's, only 7mm longer.

The MX/EX front wheels use a thicker axle than the MXR/EXR. One more reason to investigate KTM wheel spacers first.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Just to clarify, when swapping over to the KTM/Husky triple clamps and front wheel, i'll also need the stock brake caliper hanger from a KTM as well? Otherwise, i'd need a 7mm spacer to move the caliper inward?

I'd rather go the KTM/Husky triple clamp route as our stock triple clamps are not that great. It also allows you to run the KTM or Husky front fender without needing to modify the stock triple clamps, which is much more rigid and stable. The stock front fender bracket sucks. I already bent my 3rd bracket just from normal use on rough tracks!

Bloak

Just did mine,.
Upper and lower triple clamps with steering stem. KTM front wheel with KTM spacers. KTM front axle bolt. New clamp mounts unless you mod Alta's...don't quite fit groove.
Don't use 2017 or newer triple clamps, the handle bar mounts bolting protrude and contact steering head. I used from 2015.
Lower triple clamps will hit frame and need to be filed down. Once you install, you'll see that it won't hit steering stops. File to allow full turning. I ended up extending steering stops as I didn't want to file into a brace piece. (Still get 98% turn, needed stops to prevent damage to stabilzer)

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
When i ran Mark's 52mm CV's I used a set of triples he had from a ~2012 KTM that required us to extend the steering stops a little. I didn't notice the minor decrease in lock angle.

Bloak

Mine hit. Could have added a spacer between lower bearing and lower clamp but that seemed like more work.
Repeat what you did before with 2012 clamps, add KTM wheel and axle bolt. Should be good to go after that

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
My question was in regards to the caliper bracket. I'm assuming i'll need to snag one off a KTM/husky as well, otherwise source 7mm spacers and use the stock Alta caliper bracket. When i used Mark's CV's, he had a factory KTM brake caliper and bracket that i used. I wasn't using the stock Alta brake caliper bracket.

Bloak

IMG_20190305_164753.jpg
here is a pic, which shows better than trying to describe. not a fan of the orange spacer that came with wheel set, but I guess mud will fix that.

Top Bottom