EXR Battery Range 20 Miles - Normal ?

VINSANITY

When I trail ride I consistently (barely) get 20 miles of range. I ride in map 2. The trails are very twisty with lots of acceleration out of the corners.

Is this normal - seems low?

What are other EXR’s getting for range?

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
While I have gotten ranges in the low 20s per charge, that is usually a result of riding very aggressively with large altitude deltas. Normal trail riding conditions with moderate throttle use get me more like low 30s range per charge.

40 miles is about the best I have ever achieved from one charge, and that required me to ride very slow on fairly smooth and level trails.

But there are lots of variables that impact range, and slightly aggressive riding habits can have surprisingly large impacts on range per charge.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
What kind of terrain? Sand and loose or soft? Or hardpacked very firm soil?

Soft terrain eats lots of range too.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
It sounds like you are probably getting the range you might expect from the bike given the description of your riding behavior.

Most of the riders getting more miles per charge are using the regen breaking coming into corners and whenever possible rather than the friction breaks. And hard acceleration out of corners is another behavior that minimises range quickly.

You could experiment with altering your breaking and acceleration behavior over the same trail to see if you experience different levels of charge consumption based on how aggressively you ride.

But hey, it's not much fun to ride like a hypermiler... And this is all about fun!

VINSANITY

It was just trail riding relatively flat and dirt was pretty firm? I can’t image I am riding that hard as old and don’t ride that often.

I am going to get the Multitool software to see if something is not right with the battery.

Motophyllic

I do a mix of road and trails and usually come back with about 30 miles in and with a little less than a quarter charge or so.

Trialsman

I usually get 30+ miles of spirited single track, but with lots of elevation change and some mud thrown in for sport. Twenty is low I would say.

snydes

Staff member
I would say 20 sounds low, but if you can't "resist the twist" and are doing a lot of hard pulls and hard braking, essentially not carrying speed well, I wouldn't think it would be out of the question.

You would get significantly less mileage on sand dunes or hammering on an MX track. My sand dune average time was 15-20 minutes. Best 15-20 minutes ever though!

I doubt being an EXR with the firmware that would have been installed on that bike that you have any battery issues that wouldn't throw a code, but having a look can't hurt.

leeo45

Geezer in denial
It is certainly less range than a normal ride on either my EXR or MXR. However the one time that I rode as an experiment and I was very intentionally either hard on the gas or hard on the brakes in a fullout blitz I only got to 23 miles before I was on the last bar flashing. So the riding was probably more like MX without the jumps and it had a big effect on the range. I am not a MX rider and I normally do a lot more partial throttle and regen braking on technical trails. I usually get into the low or mid 30's before I see the flashing last bar.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I seem to be averaging about 25 minutes hard moto going from 100% down to 15%. My logs show a range between 13-16 miles. Thats me at my skill level (local Intermediate) on SoCal MX tracks. I'd say 20 miles should be a cakewalk on slower, tighter single track.

revoltlution

Keep yer cool, don't get hurt, and never give up!
I have expressed the same concern with fellow riders during our 24hr Starvation Ridge race. I too, very often, barely get over 20mi. I'm 200# and ride fast woods pretty aggressively (and lots of hard braking).

Might be the bike, might be me (us).

wwmotors

40 miles is the maximum possible with the EXR, when I ride a relaxed Endurotour along a river with a 20-30mph average an grass, gravel and sandy trails at 20 °C temperature.

F451

40 miles is the maximum possible with the EXR, when I ride a relaxed Endurotour along a river with a 20-30mph average an grass, gravel and sandy trails at 20 °C temperature.

Same with my '18 MXR, and that is really milking it, last few miles wondering if its going to get me home.

I was pretty disappointed to get about 26 miles up in the mountains, I probably could have gotten 30 or so out of it, but didn't want to run out of juice and have to walk miles back to my truck. I was hoping to get 30 - 35 worry free miles out of it in the mountains, but if its only going to be 25 miles or so, I don't think it will work for what I had in mind.

At this point I'm considering it a training bike that I can rip on locally, its not really worth it to me to haul it an hour or two up into the mountains and start having range anxiety at around 20 miles.

I may give it another try or two next summer, but I'm not optimistic. Its a shame, its really close to being a killer mountain trail bike.