Fast charger on NEMA 10-50 plug?

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Hey guys,

Has anyone tried their fast charger on an old style dryer/stove NEMA 10-50 240v receptacle? I have one of these in my garage. Was hoping an adapter like the one pictured might work. Not sure if the neutral-ground setup is supported by the charger GFCI.

Also, for help with NEMA designations, I will include a pic of the other 240v standard plugs for future reference.

1562534731699.jpg

1562534765730.png

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
I would think as long as the voltage is correct, and you connect L1, L2, and ground to the correct prongs it should work just fine. Also make sure all building wiring and breakers are appropriate for the load.

schwankl

the 10-50 lacks ground ... maybe check w/ elcon if the ground is needed, or make your own (not using the fx483 pictured in post #1)
this is the fast charger right? (plus some custom? alta can bus messaging from bcm or whatever the embedded system in the battery is called)
3.3KW UHF CAN bus charger
has anyone ever checked with elcon to see if that would work w/ stock alta battery?

snydes

Staff member
I’ve made an adapter and used that style plug. I’d have to look at how it was wired though. I’m assuming the ground went to that neutral prong on the adapter. No problems with the location I used mine but your results may vary depending on how the service was wired.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
NEMA 10-50 does not have ground. The middle pin is Neutral. If you wire the charger's ground to it the GFCI will probably pop right out, if there are other appliances used on the circuit.

I have two of such NEMA 10-50R receptacles in my laundry room. I removed one and installed a NEMA 14-50R receptacle instead. Wired Neutral to Neutral. There was also a Ground wire there in the wall, wired to the receptacle's case. I connected it to the Ground pin of the NEMA 14-50R.

TeslaRaptor

Sorry to re-start an old thread, but this is the closest I could find with the search functionality.

I am getting a sparky to come to the house and install a plug in the garage to fast charger the Alta. This thread has me worried that if I just show him the plug on the fast charger and ask him to install a plug that works....that maybe he might make a wrong assumption. Anything special I should tell him?

I know the panel has to support and additional 30 amps.....and he will check that or we will audible if the entire panel needs to be upgraded (or use the nearby panel in the pump house)

Also, one of the tracks near me has RV hookups. 30A and 50A (I am pretty sure). I have never looked at the plugs, but will for sure when I go next (hopefully Monday). Are there common adapters that I would need to hook up the fast charger to the 30a or 50a plugs?
Thx!!!

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
The L14-30 receptacle is what you need to have installed so you can plug the R-charger into the wall without an adapter and have fast charging.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I know the panel has to support and additional 30 amps.....and he will check that or we will audible if the entire panel needs to be upgraded (or use the nearby panel in the pump house)
Your electrician might have to follow your local code and such, but the highest that the Alta charger can take is only 16 Amps.

snydes

Staff member
Also, one of the tracks near me has RV hookups. 30A and 50A (I am pretty sure). I have never looked at the plugs, but will for sure when I go next (hopefully Monday). Are there common adapters that I would need to hook up the fast charger to the 30a or 50a plugs?
Thx!!!

The 30a RV is 120v, so that doesn’t help if you want to fast charge. Without double checking I’m pretty sure you can get an adapter that goes from a 14-50P (50a RV) to a L14-30R. From there you can plug in as normal.