Half throttle mod'

Oded

I followed a forum's member (VINSANITY) idea of modifying the throttle grip to half.
this modification should eliminate one of the main problems I had with the Redshift - Whiskey throttle.
since there is no clutch to cut the throttle when needed, and no gear to keep the power contained, I found whiskey throttles to occur more often than I wanted.

it may be due to my riding style which is enduro only on rough terrain, where bursts of power are the last thing you need.

basically, I cut the throttle tube in half (no need to take off from the handle bar), keeping the inner half, and fixing the outer half so it doesn't move (thanks Vinsanity for the tip)
so basically, the outer half of the throttle tube becomes stationary.

i have neen riding with it for sometime -
it really does prevent Whiskey throttles. however, it causes fatigue to the throttle hand due to using only the 2-3 inner fingers to control the power.
re-gripping is also a thing I find myself doing more.

so, it is not for everyone, but something to consider.

PS - I know that gripping the bike with your legs is the right way to prevent WT. working on it...

20210410_124245_HDR.png20210410_124334.png

synics

I have the same thing on my electric dirt bike that I built last year, but it was a half throttle specifically made to do this. I NEVER whiskey throttle on that bike and therefore have much more control. But yeah, I can wear your hand out faster and create re-grip situations...think it would be worth not WT though. Did you buy an extra throttle to try this out with in case you didn't like it? If I did this I would buy and extra ODI lock on and use that as the right side fixed part.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I had a half-throttle on my Stealth Bomber e-bike and I hated it. It made my right hand tired, and it created problems that I didn't have. I was planning to change it to a full throttle, but I sold the bike before I did.

My current e-bicycle has a full-barrel twist throttle. I love it! Like on a real motorcycle!

Try using your thumb more and your pointing and middle finger less. Keep one or both of them on the brake lever, if you have to. This way, if you hit a bump, the thumb will roll the throttle tube forward.

synics

I had a half-throttle on a Stealth Bomber e-bike and I hated it. It made my right hand tired, and it created problems that I didn't have. I was planning to change it to a full throttle, but I sold the bike before I did.

My current e-bicycle has a full-barrel twist throttle. I love it! Like on a real motorcycle!

Try using your thumb more and your pointing and middle finger less. Keep one or both of them on the brake lever, if you have to. This way, if you hit a bump, the thumb will roll the throttle tube forward.
On the bomber that I built from scratch that is way more powerful than the stealth, I have the half throttle and I love it. It makes it so much easier to control the bike speed, especially over bumps and jumps. The key to making it work properly is the left hand part has to be larger and ideally tapered down.

Oded

I am still debating with myself if doing the half throttlle mod was worth it.
It does help with Whiskey throttle, but the price is hand fatigue.
I got a new spare throttle, so I'll be able to switch back to stock full throttle, whenever I feel like it.
For the time being, I am sticking with the mod.

VINSANITY

It is definitely a trade off of whiskey throttle vs fatigue.

I hated the half throttle at first but got used to it and literally can’t ride with a full throttle anymore.

Different strokes for different folks.

synics

It is definitely a trade off of whiskey throttle vs fatigue.

I hated the half throttle at first but got used to it and literally can’t ride with a full throttle anymore.

Different strokes for different folks.
The way I see it, since I'm a woods rider I'm constantly on and off the throttle, so the fatigue with my existing biek really isn't that bad. It only really affects me if I was to do do a long stretch on the road.