Harley Livewire - Demo Ride and Perspective

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
This weekend in SF the good old bar and shield had a demo test ride event. Which meant a bunch of EV geeks and also motorcyclists came through and rode some Livewires. Sharing my experience and thoughts of the bike.

*Disclaimer* - As a former employee of Alta and still in the EV industry I do not have any preferences or pre-tenses towards HD. Too many people get misinformed and then talk trash. This post isnt about that. Go do that somewhere else.

Event Details:

HD had there event at a kinda crafty/artsy event with lots of young people in my age (25-35) category. Well done operation by HD. They had us run in groups of five with a front and lead rider on a RoadGlides staggered config. HD had quite alot of bikes and a huge DC Fast charger hooked up to a diesel generator.....They had quite a presence with the bikes and a pop-up.

They initially had us register our info and then right after threw is on a Livewire on a rolling road to get used to the controls and feels of the bike. Quite a few riders throttled hard since they weren't used to the to the response of the EV bike. Made for some interesting noises :)

After that they then brought us over to the road where they had the bikes ready for the street. 10 min ride on a pre-determined course. Basically went in about a simple loop. Finished the loop and then brought the bikes back to the staging area.

Feel and experience:

Overall, its very much a sporty bike than a dirt bike in both weight and feel. The fit and finish is very much HD. Not many turns on the course so could not really feel how it was in the turns though it leaned well. Suspension is pretty stiff and can be adjusted. The map button is on the right but not in the position to change maps on the fly. More like changing maps when at a stop. There is cruise control, Traction control, and two toggle buttons on the left and right sides.

Four map configs - Eco, Road, Race and Rain.
Rain had a sluggish response - heavy regen (Kinda a weird version of Map 1 on a Alta). Road was more spirited and less regen (Map 2 and 3), Eco was medium regen and more responsive than Rain (map 2). Race was the most powerful/responsive and no regen. Did not see a custom map mode or setting on the bike.

Would I buy it? Not at 30k. Maybe others will. I will keep Sumoing on the Alta (lots of jaws dropped when I rode by on the SM :) )

And now pictures:
IMG_20191019_111204.jpg

IMG_20191019_111210.jpg

IMG_20191019_121707.jpgIMG_20191019_115059.jpg

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
Nice summary review Rashid. Thanks for posting. In respect to your not having any preferences or pre-tenses towards HD, forget about that and the Alta back out deal for a moment, this bike will most likely not be a success due to its $30k price tag. The Zero SR/F premium goes for $9K less and the SR goes for $10K less and, at a guess, perform better. I will concede the bike looks very neat. I like the looks of it. But if I was to go a road ebike route, the Zero is a way better option.

privateer703

AOF Addict
If you guys have seen Ewan McGregor and Charley Borman in Long Way Round (& Long Way Down), a documentary on their trip on bikes from Scotland to NY, they are doing another, Long Way Up (Bottom of S. America to Alaska) on modified Livewires. If you haven't seen these shows, even if you don't like HD, watch them. They are awesome.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
If you guys have seen Ewan McGregor and Charley Borman in Long Way Round (& Long Way Down), a documentary on their trip on bikes from Scotland to NY, they are doing another, Long Way Up (Bottom of S. America to Alaska) on modified Livewires. If you haven't seen these shows, even if you don't like HD, watch them. They are awesome.

I loved both of their documentaries, Long Way Round and Long Way Down. Total jealousy.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent

If they are actually doing the trip on electrics it will totally invalidate them - with the constant 'connection' to the grid or support crew required to support a trip like that..

privateer703

AOF Addict
They are also using a Rivian electric pick-up as a support vehicle. I don't know what you mean by invalidating them. If they can make a trip like that on electrics, it actually does more to validate it. It would show that while your range may be limited, access to charging is always available. By that I mean, if they can make it through South America, through N. America and through Canada, finding improvised places to charge, it shows that electric isn't a huge hindrance to touring. When they did it on ICE bikes they still had to find gas, just not as often as they'll have to charge.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
They are also using a Rivian electric pick-up as a support vehicle. I don't know what you mean by invalidating them. If they can make a trip like that on electrics, it actually does more to validate it. It would show that while your range may be limited, access to charging is always available. By that I mean, if they can make it through South America, through N. America and through Canada, finding improvised places to charge, it shows that electric isn't a huge hindrance to touring. When they did it on ICE bikes they still had to find gas, just not as often as they'll have to charge.

maybe your right - perhaps invalidate the ADV/Overland crowd altogether - they want to pose with the roof top tents & knobby tires on their big ADV bikes but they are never 300miles or so from a gas station....

offgrid... phshshs

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Are Ewan and Charley trying to get to Milwaukee by Christmas while riding electric Harleys?? Maybe the plan is to take an electric plane or a freshly dug Musk's tunnel to Milwaukee to meet their families??

Top Bottom