If someone produced a replacement battery pack, would you buy one?

Would you buy a spare battery pack if they were available?

• Yes

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Yes, if it included optional or improved features

Votes: 38 54.3%

• Total voters

snydes

Staff member
I'm just curious how many owners would spring for a second battery pack if someone were to come forward and say they could produce a replacement. Lets assume the cost would be close to what an Alta pack would have cost ($3500) if someone would actually have been allowed to buy one. This is just a curiosity of mine. I don't know anyone who could or is even thinking of doing so.

bluefxstc

I voted no, but with caveats. I don't need a second pack, but if my pack failed I would like to have a replacement option available. It would also be nice to upgrade the pack as cells continue to improve. In a couple of years we will probably be able to get 18650 cells that have 50% more capacity. It would be nice to be able to take advantage of that. Imagine a 7-8Kw pack with the same size and weight. If I had that my Alta would cover 90-95% of my dirt riding needs.

I wonder what happened to the packs that Alta replaced under warranty? My pack is currently good and until it fails I am not willing to break it apart. It would be nice to experiment on a failed pack to see if it is possible, and what you would have to do, to replace the cells. If we can find out if there is an auction on Alta's remaining physical assets I would like to buy a failed pack or two to experiment with them.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
I am in the "no" camp as well, but also with qualifiers... As long as my original battery is in good health, it is not easy enough to swap out to justify a second unit. However, if a higher capacity battery were offered, my answer would likely be different.

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
I am in the "no" camp as well, but also with qualifiers... As long as my original battery is in good health, it is not easy enough to swap out to justify a second unit. However, if a higher capacity battery were offered, my answer would likely be different.
+1, if the replacement pack had 7-8kwh of storage, I would be willing to buy it.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Apparently the Lithium batteries self-discharge at less than 1% per month. Freezing the pack slows this down further. It you throw a 70% pack in a deep freezer if may last 10 years. Or it might last for 10 years even without a deep freezer. I would check and charge this battery once a year anyway. Probably more often for the first year, just to be safe.

snydes

Staff member
I wonder what happened to the packs that Alta replaced under warranty? My pack is currently good and until it fails I am not willing to break it apart. It would be nice to experiment on a failed pack to see if it is possible, and what you would have to do, to replace the cells. If we can find out if there is an auction on Alta's remaining physical assets I would like to buy a failed pack or two to experiment with them.

It's my understanding that bad modules were immediately dismantled, so it doesn't sound like there are any bad packs left sitting around.

I myself have not voted. I believe if I had a good pack now I would assume that by the time it failed, the bike would be due to be replaced as well, so I don't believe I would buy a spare. Now, with my wounded pack, the situation is different. But fortunately for everyone else there are not many bad packs out there (that we are aware of).

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Steve, you should edit the poll to add an option for those who want a new and improved battery.

I would buy a battery only if it was better (lighter, or had a bigger capacity, or was cooled and could give me 60+ hp!).

Mark911

I had an open order for one at my local dealer. Even ran wanted posts here and on Vital. All I ever heard from my dealer was "they don't have any extra packs to sell at ANY price. I kinda thought that was strange but now in hindsight I guess we know why.

leeo45

Geezer in denial
After thinking about it a little more, I changed my vote from "Yes, with improvements" to "Yes" I would buy a second pack exactly like the one on the bike now. Although I wouldn't turn down improvements.

I would be willing to spend the money for the insurance to keep this bike (and hopefully a second one) running and with optimum range and performance for the foreseeable future. I'm just not convinced that there are other companies focused and spending money to develop and produce a high performance offroad motorcycle. At least within the time frame that I will be able to buy one and use it.
-vector-id623095454?k=6&m=623095454&s=612x612&w=0&h=1ryuTzaQILhYWOguvYMJyPQQ1FSCsNH7mj5J-bCOFo0=.jpg

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
I would definitely vote yes, even if it was just a clone of the current battery. My one trepidation about buying the Alta was if the battery went out, what would I do. I would also like the option of swapping the battery out for a second for racing purposes, like they planned to do at Erzberg.