Alta Killing Alta

Butch

Poseur
That guy kinda bugs me, but the content is always well presented. Interesting perspective.
There are some folks here that could comment from a really valuable perspective. One of them, his pic is in the vid…

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
F9 knows how to make videos. There pretty dang good. But this video made me remember all the work we all did, and yep hes right about one thing. 100 people did lose their jobs that October.

(Fun fact - the electrobrapp footage of "prototype stuff" in the CMM is MRB scrap material. The PCBA is a display from a car...from a coworkers side project...the only value from that footage was the CMM itself :) )

apbaguley

Its pretty wild that BRP hasn't done anything with all that spicey tech they inherited.
Didn't he say HD has the rights to the tech and BRP isn't allowed to do anything with it? Such a shame with how incredible the bike was 4 years ago already. Shave 10lbs, give more mapping control for the tech dummies like me, slightly more range and it would be on par with anything.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Didn't he say HD has the rights to the tech and BRP isn't allowed to do anything with it? Such a shame with how incredible the bike was 4 years ago already. Shave 10lbs, give more mapping control for the tech dummies like me, slightly more range and it would be on par with anything.

Sure...its inevitably the lawyers who make the call/no call. Lots of red tape involved with the situation.

F451

Its pretty wild that BRP hasn't done anything with all that spicey tech they inherited.

I don't understand it either. Why did they pay for the tech if they can't use it?

Now, 4+ years later, the tech has been dormant (as far as we know) while others continue to push the envelope.

At what point is the "old" Alta tech irrelevant?

4-5 years is a long time in this ever evolving field of e-transportation.

Warren

One thing he said is 100% true, Alta is the electric dirt bike ever. Considering it was built five years ago and designed 8+ years ago kudos to Alta. One thing for sure they’ll go down in history as the first to legit dirtbike .

fsfs

I don't understand it either. Why did they pay for the tech if they can't use it?

Now, 4+ years later, the tech has been dormant (as far as we know) while others continue to push the envelope.

At what point is the "old" Alta tech irrelevant?

4-5 years is a long time in this ever evolving field of e-transportation.

First, let me state this. Alta is the first legit electric dirt bike.

Second, the "IP" that BRP acquired is just about completely without value. This is not because Harley holds some blocking methods by which they can screw BRP. Where are the design and R&D engineers? The pieces of paper and schematics are worth nothing without the people. Even if BRP has competent EV engineers they will likely balk at the Alta technology (not invented here syndrome).

The Alta tech is not old. Copper is still copper. Neodymium is still neodymium. Electrical steel is still electrical steel. Cells have gotten a bit better, but not much. From my perspective Alta's most valuable tech is their mistakes. The motor diameter is a bit too small. The battery cooling is not good enough. It is easy to say these things in hind sight -- I would have made these mistakes too. I am grateful that Alta made these mistakes for me. Hats off to them for making so few of them.

The important thing is that it lives on. F9 is wrong. It is not dead.