Lyndon Poskitt Erzberg video

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I do not get the benefit of a physical flywheel. Perhaps the motor controller had a problem controlling the motor's torque and speed?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe a strategy to minimize wheelspin? Make the bike feel a bit more like an ICE bike?
With the ability to read and adjust the power many-many times per revolution a flywheel should be unnecessary. Alta already has a "virtual flywheel", so I am not sure why a physical one was necessary. Perhaps for very-very slow starts. Like when you are stuck on an uphill.

Speedkills

Speculation here but it could just be an old school fix to an issue they didn’t have time to deal with otherwise. They don’t have decent traction control now after years of development, it’s possible they couldn’t just whip some up in time for the race. I love my Alta, but really, programming wise, who doesn’t have them beat? They sure don’t have the app programming ability of a Zero or the traction control of a BMW, I’d imagine that with such a small set of employees it’s just not something they can do quickly. I know when I spin up my bike I sure as hell have thought about adding a flywheel weight. Reducing the power available as in map 1 and 2 are not the same as traction control.

Silent But Dirty

Alta North
I thought I heard Lyndon say he was putting in a lighter flywheel, which was supposed to help with getting the front end up with snappier response.

metallic88

I do not get the benefit of a physical flywheel. Perhaps the motor controller had a problem controlling the motor's torque and speed?
I think adding mass(or heavier flywheel ) like he did in the video would eat up battery life. you want less resistance not more to consume less energy. I think what he wanted could be done easily in a map reprogram.