Map 4 conserves more than Map 3!?!?!?!

Fod

Hey Guys!
So Fog and I rode some good moto today! On our second motos we got impatient waiting for our bikes to charge and off we went. Fog started with a bar down from full and I was about 75% full...pretty close but not exact. So Fog is a faster rider then me but held back a bit to ride with me. He was riding in Map 4 while I was going as hard as I could in Map 3. Not only were we riding at the same pace, but Fog also has 20+ lbs on me. After riding a good 15 - 20 minutes or so I had to pull off because I was at one bar. A buddy of ours was going to take a photo of us both on a jump and I told Fog I have a flashing one bar so if we are going to do the photo I need to cut the coarse. I asked him how he is doing as he rides in map 4 and to my amazement I look down and he is at half charge on his screen!!! I am now wondering how the heck he was able to conserve so much energy riding in Map 4 at the same pace as I am while I am on Map 3. Anyways, so I cut the coarse for the photo shoot still in Map 3 and my bike was limiting my power to the point I had to give it full tilt to clear the jump. I was confused as to why my MXR is conserving energy...I thought the MX version only cut off power when getting low. Fog said that when the bar is flashing the MXR it cuts power to conserve. First time I rode the bike with a flashing bar so it was news to me. Just a heads up.

As for why my battery is flashing while Fog is at half is baffling me. I know he carries his speed better but this is quite a difference in power. Anyone have any ideas why my battery is depleting so much faster then Fog's? I know he changed his counter sprocket to a 14T. Could that be saving him lots of juice? The track we ride is lower mid to fast pace and some sand sections.

Fog
final gearing 14-53
weight 205ish
Map 4

Me (Fod)
stock final gearing 12-53
weight 180
Map 3

Let me know your thoughts!!!

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
You said Fog is a faster rider, but he was riding at your pace. This means that he was most likely faster than you in the corners but was holding back on straightaways. Thus less braking and less accelerating, less power used.

snydes

Staff member
Interesting. You guys do have a unique opportunity to do some various comparisons.
Although I would like to do certain tests myself when I’m out with mine, I just end up riding and having fun instead.

Reactions: Fod

Fod

You said Fog is a faster rider, but he was riding at your pace. This means that he was most likely faster than you in the corners but was holding back on straightaways. Thus less braking and less accelerating, less power used.

Yeah...I totally agree but half a battery left to my flashing one bar?!?!

So here is some words of wisdom from Kevin at Alta told me over the phone:

1) A few of the Alta test riders recently figured out that running a 14-53 final gear with map 4 gets them great results of energy consumption. How Fog figured this out on his own is why its good to have him on our side!

2) Keep the battery cool with water/shade/whatever helps with charging and riding! I did have mud caked on my battery from past rides which may have hindered battery performance.

3)Map 2 and Map 4 have less flywheel weight effect then Map 3. Map 3 should be most battery efficient map for moto.

Elite Motorsports

We have had great luck with the 14t on our 17 MX in terms of battery life as well as smoothing out the throttle response. We are getting ready to try a back to back test with the stock 13T on the 2018 MXR, I suspect we will have the same results. One thing we have observed is riders using the torque of the bike to pull them through corners/clear jumps rather than carrying momentum. That could account for much of the difference between the two bikes as far as battery level is concerned.

Fog 25

We have had great luck with the 14t on our 17 MX in terms of battery life as well as smoothing out the throttle response. We are getting ready to try a back to back test with the stock 13T on the 2018 MXR, I suspect we will have the same results. One thing we have observed is riders using the torque of the bike to pull them through corners/clear jumps rather than carrying momentum. That could account for much of the difference between the two bikes as far as battery level is concerned.
The stock MXR has a 12t counter.

Fog 25

I’d like to know more about this gearing change. @Fog 25 what was the motivation for the change on yours? How do you like it?
The 14t takes some of the hit out and makes the power more smoother through the corners. A larger countershaft sprocket we used to use back in the 90s on our two strokes for less wear on the transmission and rear wheel pull on the suspension. I figured that with taller gearing at the same MPH the motor would be turning less RPM. So far has work really well. If I was to go riding on a track with short runs to the jumps I think I would go back to 12t. You need a different chain (longer) for the 14t and it makes the change quick and easy. Give it a try. Be safe and have fun.

Reactions: Fod