Motor warning due to overheat

Oded

Did anyone already encounter power limitation due to heat?

For the first time today, the warning light turned on and piwer was restricted. Max speed was limited to 60mph (Redshift EX).
Happened after 5-8 mintues of riding on the highway at about 65-69 mph. Temrature about 26 degrees celsius.

Never happened brfore when off roading (at lower speeds obviously).
Wonder about the SM model, if it's the same, than it is a major consideration.

rayivers

I'm sorry to hear of your problem, but I am SO glad you posted this right away! My coolant pump seemed noisy in the garage, like it was running dry - and guess what? It WAS !! There was no coolant level visible with the plug removed as the manual indicated, so I ran a wire 150mm / 6" down the coolant fill pipe - nothing !

I'd check your coolant level ASAP - everyone else here too, if you haven't already. I assume this system uses aluminum-friendly coolant like my ICE bikes, but I'll contact Alta today to make sure, and also let them know about this problem in case any other dry Altas are out there.

Ray

snydes

Staff member
Philip has. I
I'm sorry to hear of your problem, but I am SO glad you posted this right away! My coolant pump seemed noisy in the garage, like it was running dry - and guess what? It WAS !! There was no coolant level visible with the plug removed as the manual indicated, so I ran a wire 150mm / 6" down the coolant fill pipe - nothing !

I'd check your coolant level ASAP - everyone else here too, if you haven't already. I assume this system uses aluminum-friendly coolant like my ICE bikes, but I'll contact Alta today to make sure, and also let them know about this problem in case any other dry Altas are out there.

Ray

I think the manual said 50/50 Prestone, but a confirmation call would be reassuring. I’ll check mine as soon as I get home. I have 3.5 hours on it, I hope there is coolant in there.

Steve

rayivers

Thanks, I missed that - manual p. 27, 750 ml Prestone 50/50 ethylene glycol coolant or equivalent.

I turned my bike on once, didn't like the pump sound, and turned it off again. I specifically asked HVM that no one ride it there and the tires look absolutely perfect , so hopefully it's fine. FWIW, the air-cooled Zero motors get wicked hot at times.

Ray

snydes

Staff member
I will say mine doesn’t sound dry but it does sound a bit like it’s cavitating at when you first start it. I rode mine hard in mid 80’s ambient temps and no light came on, so hopefully there’s some in there! I’ll definitely be checking tonight.

Oded

Thanks for the heads up Ray. Actually, I did not think it was a problem, and that I just reached the limit of the machine.
The coolant pump sounds OK but of course, I'll check the fluid level.

Judaslefourbe

Hi everybody!
Copy/paste from another post regarding the coolant:

Hi there.
I have been lurking around but I figured I would jump since it seems there are questions about the cooling system.
While it is possible this step was missed on your bike, it is extremely unlikely; did you see any coolant pooling under the bike?
The reason you cannot see the coolant in the hose is because we leave enough room for expansion when the coolant gets hot.
If it makes you more comfortable, you could add 50/50 ethylene glycol coolant (we use Prestone on the line) but make sure you leave some room for expansion.

PS: The system is setup for 750mL of coolant
PPS: Yes, I do work at Alta Motors

Ireek

My temp light came on my first day of ownership, took the SM down my favorite twisty road and was playing with a Porsche Caymen, I couldn't very well let him get the best of me so the old road racer in me put the hammer down, had no issue in the tight stuff but when the road opened up, I was pinned for a few miles (83 indicated) and got the temp light, speed was then limited to 70'ish, the road tightened up again and the light went off. Hasn't happened since. Be cool to re-gear for 90 mph, even for short periods.

Oded

My temp light came on my first day of ownership, took the SM down my favorite twisty road and was playing with a Porsche Caymen, I couldn't very well let him get the best of me so the old road racer in me put the hammer down, had no issue in the tight stuff but when the road opened up, I was pinned for a few miles (83 indicated) and got the temp light, speed was then limited to 70'ish, the road tightened up again and the light went off. Hasn't happened since. Be cool to re-gear for 90 mph, even for short periods, 90 seems like a good top speed on these roads around here, even if briefly.

Exactly my experience - once the road started twisting, the temp light went off.