Motor

Owencking

What’s everyone i got a varg in June for my birthday I have about 20 hours on it and the other day the motor locked up on me at 60mph now it’s making a grinding noise I’ve contact varg and three different emails so far and no response it’s been about 4 days it sounds like a gear broke but I’m not sure I’ve changed the gear oil and the gears look good and was a little metallic but nothing out of the ordinary from what I’ve seen other people show just curious if anyone has any information for me since varg isn’t respond right now also I have a video but I can’t post it here for some reason

Theo

Hi.
Sorry for the issue; I hope you are not injured.
I live in Italy and here in august companies tipically close for 2 or 3 weeks for vacations; as far as I know it happens in other European countries, too; maybe Stark in Spain is closed or many of their employees are on vacation, so I am not surprised that they take some time to answer.
Is your motor a Gen 1 or Gen 2? (If the top of the inverter is light grey and includes the charging port it's Gen 2; if it's black and the chargning port is located near the rear shock it's a Gen 1).

Owencking

Hi.
Sorry for the issue; I hope you are not injured.
I live in Italy and here in august companies tipically close for 2 or 3 weeks for vacations; as far as I know it happens in other European countries, too; maybe Stark in Spain is closed or many of their employees are on vacation, so I am not surprised that they take some time to answer.
Is your motor a Gen 1 or Gen 2? (If the top of the inverter is light grey and includes the charging port it's Gen 2; if it's black and the chargning port is located near the rear shock it's a Gen 1).
The charging port is located above the shock on mine but luckily I am okay Thankyou for responding the vacation makes since especially bc I’ve heard such great things about there customer service I didn’t know if anyone else has had anything like this happen I would like to think I ride this thing pretty hard but I’m still a beginner rider so I know I can’t be sending it that hard

image.jpg

Theo

That's a gen 1 power unit, then.
As far as I've read here, typically they would send you a new power unit to replace yours in these rare (but IMO worrysome) lockup cases.
I've noticed that they have recently added a countershaft replacement kit to their spare parts list in their website, so maybe they will send you that instead; I don't know which parts it includes.

fully

I'm interested if it actually "locked up" or "power suddenly cut out" and regen kicks in which maybe feels like a lock up when you're accelerating?
I'm just concerned now about riding fast after hearing about these issues.

rayivers

Below are frame grabs from the Stark teardown video, showing pretty much everything associated with the sprocket side of the countershaft. I'm wondering just how much of the small amount of gearbox oil dribbles down behind the reduction gear, finds its way past the dual bearings, then continues all the way down the tube to the countershaft bearing. The shaft is hollow and may have oil holes (I didn't see any in the video) but I bet most of the surely-tiny oil spray going in the shaft end gets spun right back out.

1722776975926.png

Owencking

Below are frame grabs from the Stark teardown video, showing pretty much everything associated with the sprocket side of the countershaft. I'm wondering just how much of the small amount of gearbox oil dribbles down behind the reduction gear, finds its way past the dual bearings, then continues all the way down the tube to the countershaft bearing. The shaft is hollow and may have oil holes (I didn't see any in the video) but I bet most of the surely-tiny oil spray going in the shaft end gets spun right back out.

View attachment 11719This is what I was wondering I figured there would be more oil in the machine so I’m wondering if some of the parts are getting to hot with no oil