MultiTool Weirdness

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Ok guys, something weird is going on with MultiTool this weekend. (I'm starting a new thread for this.)

I've built or rebuilt machines at least half a dozen times over the last couple weeks. So I think I have the process down pretty well, and I have a pretty extensive checklist. I've incorporated the new instructions from @TeslaRaptor along with the stuff from @TCMB371, and it has been working flawlessly to build machines, either dual-boot or ubuntu only.

But starting on around Thursday or so of last week, or maybe before, it all went to hell again.

When trying to rebuild an old machine (that had been working fine, but I wanted a clean build), I started to get long delays in pulling stuff from Pypi.org during the Alta MultiTool part of the install. Instead of a couple minutes, it took hours and hours! And at the end, MultiTool would not start, I would just get the Alta splash screen forever.

So, I pulled out a couple of my older machines that have been working just fine, including my loaner laptop. They were doing the same thing!

On a hunch, I turned off wi-fi, so I was no longer connected to the internet. Bingo! I could then bring up MultiTool successfully. So, my older machines that had previously been working are able to run MultiTool, but NOT if connected to the internet! (This did not help me with the new install.)

Not 100% sure, but could someone have brought up the Alta site again? (I know it was for sale.) It might be finding the site, and trying to download firmware updates, but never finding any. In any case, MultiTool just sits there waiting to do... something.

Can anyone else confirm if they can open MultiTool while connected to the internet? Then try it without being connected to the internet.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
This is what I get if I am connected to the internet. It will stay on this screen indefinitely.
1612127630094.jpg

If I turn off wi-fi, it will load okay.
1612127720281.jpg

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Certainly the install issue is probably an ubuntu issue.

But the issue with the already working machines just sitting there while on the internet is probably not. I had already turned off updates for those machines. And odd that it would affect all three working machines the same way. That’s why I wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing the same issue.

The theory that it might have something to do with an Alta server coming back online was simply a theory, based on the fact that the first thing Multitool appears to do is to see if it can reach the Alta server to find the latest firmware there.

If anyone has any bright ideas, or can repro the issue, I would like to know.

Motophyllic

When I was looking for the Erzberg software, one of the guys on here sent me the file. Does somebody have a file on an external device that you could use to install instead of over the Internet?

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
To clarify my previous post, I didn’t suggest that you would have to turn off your wifi connection forever. I just suggested, if you were having the same problem I was having, that you should try turning off wi-fi before launching the MultiTool app. You can turn wi-fi back on after launching the app.

@Motophyllic - not sure if that is why you were asking about an external device. Maybe you could clarify.

Motophyllic

I thought you were trying to install multi tool from the internet and we’re having trouble.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Ah, I see where you are coming from. I thought you were asking about the Erzberg fw. I personally haven’t gone out to gather all the components used in the multitool install and pulled them down locally. Beyond my pay-scale and rudimentary linux skillz.