MX basket case bike resuscitation

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
I was talking About a Gcode to print the circuit board so that one can soldier smd components to it and complete the Alta ecosystem. There’s got to be files of shit like this that was sent to pcb manufacturers in China for mass production.

We never sent out PCBAs to China. All manufactured with PCBA suppliers in the USA.

Good luck finding gcode. None of that "shit" is available.

enjoythesilenc

Here is the actual comatose machine. It was born a r&d machine and remains so. 20210303_103456.jpg

The crude reverse engineering I'm doing has turned into a hobby now and I'm absorbing alot of info.

One of the avenues forward is to bypass the alta secret formula and settle for something less. To that end I'm starting to look at other components that might help me utilize some of the alta hardware. Just today I realized that the end result doesn't have to be exactly like the oem. It might weigh 300 pounds, it might look like a street tracker or scrambler etc etc.

I bought some stuff as a first step away from the alta secret recipe. On the left is a rotor position sensor allowing me to use different controllers that speak sine cosine instead of the alta synchronous serial interface. Below that is a Honda hybrid inverter I bought to further my understanding of such things. On the right are the alta components for a size comparison...20210416_193244.jpg

testus191

Here is the actual comatose machine. It was born a r&d machine and remains so. View attachment 7057

The crude reverse engineering I'm doing has turned into a hobby now and I'm absorbing alot of info.

One of the avenues forward is to bypass the alta secret formula and settle for something less. To that end I'm starting to look at other components that might help me utilize some of the alta hardware. Just today I realized that the end result doesn't have to be exactly like the oem. It might weigh 300 pounds, it might look like a street tracker or scrambler etc etc.

I bought some stuff as a first step away from the alta secret recipe. On the left is a rotor position sensor allowing me to use different controllers that speak sine cosine instead of the alta synchronous serial interface. Below that is a Honda hybrid inverter I bought to further my understanding of such things. On the right are the alta components for a size comparison...View attachment 7058

Curious if anymore progress has been made on this project?

enjoythesilenc

Curious if anymore progress has been made on this project?
Funny you should ask, I took this pic just yesterday20220104_174103.jpg

I've been sort of distracted riding the other bikes that work so not much progress going on. What I am slowly doing is clarifying a way forward.

A lot will rely upon getting the battery sorted out. If I want to use my spare battery, I need to decipher more of what is being controlled inside there. We know a few things that happen

1. turning the key on turns on the 12 volt converter circuit ie coolant pump etc.
2. Pushing the start button closes the contactors on the top lid to feed high voltage to the inverter

I think the contactor stay closed until other modules tell the battery to open them. I'm not sure if there are conditions where the battery itself disconnects due to conditions inside

testus191

Funny you should ask, I took this pic just yesterdayView attachment 8116

I've been sort of distracted riding the other bikes that work so not much progress going on. What I am slowly doing is clarifying a way forward.

A lot will rely upon getting the battery sorted out. If I want to use my spare battery, I need to decipher more of what is being controlled inside there. We know a few things that happen

1. turning the key on turns on the 12 volt converter circuit ie coolant pump etc.
2. Pushing the start button closes the contactors on the top lid to feed high voltage to the inverter

I think the contactor stay closed until other modules tell the battery to open them. I'm not sure if there are conditions where the battery itself disconnects due to conditions inside
I understand, its hard to find enough time in the day to get everything done that needs to be done, let alone everything we want to get done.

I assume thats 8kgs? Can you measure and share the diameter? Also, could you stretch a tape measure or something down the length of the motor and share a picture of it?

Edit: Also, any chance you still have the motor opened up and could measure the stator diameter or the ID of the housing? Stator length would be awesome to know as well if there is any way you could measure that. I imagine the stator length would be roughly the distance from o-ring to o-ring if you could take that measurement.

Thanks

testus191

To explain why I am interested, I have a QS120 70H motor that I am debating on making a water cooled jacket for. Just trying to compare the physical size of it to the Alta motor and how close it could potentially compare in regards to power density. It is roughly the same size at 8.8kgs, 120mm OD stator, 142.6mm OD for the housing, 70mm magnet length, so slightly larger than the Alta motor. Hopefully that means it will handle higher amps better as obviously Alta is getting their higher power from more voltage. It is rated to be capable of 250 amps max. I'm hoping to run it at around 100v nominally and 250-300 amps. Hoping the water cooling will allow for pushing the peak amps for longer, I just don't know how much longer. Also, not sure if it would allow for higher peaks? 8mm^2 lead wires could be a limiting factor. But, my hopes are that being able to push peak amps longer and at the proper gearing ratios will allow for a very linear power curve.

Rough model of the water cooled jacket. 150mm OD. At some point I would like to incorporate an integrated gear reduction similar to their larger QS138 70H V3 motor. Obviously this model is very rough, only spent about an hour on it at this point.

1641587425429.png

testus191

Case118 od
107 I'd
120 oring spacing
2 mm deep coolant gap
50 mm rotor
115 rotor magnet length
Thank you sir!!

It seems the QS120 motor is very close in dimensions to the Alta motor. It’s also an IPM vs SPM motor which may provide help in getting closer to those power levels. I still think I’ll need much higher voltages to get there.