MXM

Kaichen

Sumik

They really went with the old-school twin rear shock. Interesting.
You are right. It may have an old-school look. But – the same progressive damping performance like state of the art monoshock with linkage, 1+ kg lighter assembly, better center of gravity and 25 % more space for the battery. What do you think, does the “old fashioned” look pay off?

Mark911

Still will have the same thermal issues with the pack unless it’s actively cooled somehow (assumes the inverter and motor are already liquid cooled). That rear geometry requires valving like the KTM PDS shocks. Much more position sensitive. It’s also VERY heavy damping and spring rates. Can they achieve that with two skinny shocks? Maybe, until they get hot.

rayivers

Just a quick suggestion to the MXM guys, based on actual experience with this type of setup back in the day - a 'banana' swingarm ('80 Mugen 125 example below, the MXM unit would be different but the same basic idea):

s1200_thumbnail_IMG_2296.jpg

This allows using a long shock at a more conventional angle rather than the 'lay-down' MXM setup (which has an anti-progressive spring/damping curve and nearly horizontal shocks at full travel - these were tried and quickly abandoned in the late 70's / early '80's, too much bottoming and bent shock shafts). For the MXM, I'd move the lower shock mount forward and as far down as possible (bottom-chain-run clearance may be an issue, but as long as the swingarm mounts remain within the tire OD ground clearance will be unaffected). Even a small angle reduction can make a real difference in reducing the possibility of shaft bending, and no frame mods needed.

Mark911

Hours after seeing a picture of Ake's Macio with moved up shocks in cycle news I was in the garage cutting up my Honda CR125, bending tubes and welding angle iron to the swingarm. I raced it that weekend (district 36) and smoked everyone in the 125 novice class. I wish I had pictures of all the stuff we tried in the early to mid seventies. Moved up shocks, laid down shocks, moved up and laid down, moved up and laid back, forks as shocks, shocks for forks, you name it. At the time, only the Koni had adjustable rebound (it was only Koni and Girling anyway, lol) so I'd put the stiffest spring I could find and crank up the rebound. Most of my swingarms unintentionally ended up looking like the one shown above despite gussets, lol. It was the wild wild west suspension wise and a great time for garage innovators like myself for several years.

rayivers

+1, on everything! I always wanted Konis, especially the aluminum-finned ones. Remember the Franks "monoshock"? Apparently it worked pretty well - I wonder how it'd work for electric with a lightweight modern single shock & modified swingarm?

heidi_dump_6_16_08_363_366914.jpg

Mark911

How can it have a bigger battery compared to ours and weigh less?
Don't believe it until it's official. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that 80% of any savings will be those things that can be done to any bike to lose weight at the expense of performance, durability, and cost. Lightweight tires/tubes/spokes, air forks, Ti bolts/nuts, flimsy plastics, light seat foam, inadequately sized calipers/rotors, are all low hanging fruit. Lack of active cooling for the motor/inverter/battery pack are other possibilities, but I see radiators so something is water cooled.

rayivers

How can it have a bigger battery compared to ours and weigh less?

In addition to Mark's comments, I think there may also be a truth-in-advertising aspect... I've been watching these guys since 2015 and they've always mentioned two battery sizes available (small/light & large/heavy). I think the '7000 WH' battery spec should probably read 'up to 7000 WH', similar to the weight and motor-power caveats.

This AOF thread (2nd post) shows the 2017 specs of 3.2kWh/109kg and 6.5kWh/129kg. Maybe they're up to 4k / 7k now (just a guess).

Fod

I wonder if they put some soft of cone valves in those twin shocks. How would you tune them, if they have no shims?
Not sure if this is what they have or not, but I see they have SPV sticker on the fork. Back in the day manitou suspension had a shimless valve called SPV. It is a fantastic design and as the pressures in the system increase the valve gets stiffer! Extremely progressive! Also you can tune it with an air pump and volume. As the internal pressure increase the atmospheric pressure in the valve collapses and puts more pressure on the piston ports.

The only negative i remember is if the valve leaks then you lose compression and rebound and pretty much on a pogo stick. I remember putting a coil spring back up on the valve so it was already engaged and no need for initial pressure.

Fod

Oh one more thing to add like what Mark said, the spv is position sensitive.

Top Bottom