MXR Kickstand

rayivers

Just finished assembling & installing the Alta MX kickstand (p/n 8203563-00, $130) on my MXR. It was a very different
experience than the Pro Moto Billet unit on my '08 YZ250F (unbolt LH peg, install kickstand, replace peg). I was amazed to
find bags of parts, an arm without a foot, etc. Having worked on many kickstands over the years, I knew exactly what I was
in for. :(

If you trust your dealer not to muck it up, I'd suggest asking them to assemble it for you when it arrives as a courtesy; they'll
likely have some tools you don't, and if there's assembly damage you'll at least have some recourse. If you'll be doing it
yourself, here's some stuff that may at least help with what not to do.

The complete kit, minus instructions:

1523891806398.png

The kit comes with a 12-step assembly instruction pamphlet. Most steps are fine, but IMO several aren't.

Swapping out the peg bracket was no biggie. The bolts came right out with an impact gun (lots of LocTite on threads), and
the HD peg cotter pin came out with some coaxing. A new one is supplied, which I definitely needed.

Step 5: 'Press foot into kickstand' - easy! Uh, right. Long story short - I ended up pushing a long nail thru the foot's center
hole hard into my drill chuck, then sanding down the foot's ribs (on the holding peg into the arm) with a fingernail sanding
board. By applying enough heat to turn the HDPE brown and bearing down on the foot as hard as I could into a floor/wall
transition, I'd managed to squash one foot rib into the arm hole earlier, which gave me a rough rib height for sanding (remove @
.5mm / .020" total from the rib OD; if possible try a sanded one into the arm first before doing the rest). After sanding, the same force
applied earlier (no heat) eventually got the foot fully inserted and at the proper angle (pointing forward slightly).

Step 7: do step 8 first, and maybe save yourself some grief. The inner spring can block the big spring's hook gap, making
it difficult to get the link onto both springs (make sure the link's curve matches the drawing!).

Step 11: 'Slide the kickstand onto the foot peg bracket pin'. My version: "After making sure the bike won't topple over on
you, pull down on the slippery kickstand arm as hard as you effing can at the fully-extended angle while pushing in on the
pivot bushing with all your might at the exactly-correct alignment (an assistant would be priceless for this), being careful not
to gouge the arm bearing surface on the mount or allow the razor-sharp cotter pin ends to scratch off the arm's clear coat.
If you don't immediately succeed, ABORT with full force applied and try again, do not let the springs damage the arm!"
I'd strongly recommend protecting the top of the arm with steel (not aluminum) tape or thick plastic, and wrapping the peg-
pivot area with HD tape. A small crowbar didn't help me at all.

I think I'd prefer another 15mm of length, but it works fine as-is and folds up completely out of the way. That old
shooting pain in my elbow is now back with a vengeance, but kickstand damage was minimal and the unit is high-quality.
NOTE: footpeg mounts are painted silver, solvent-type cleaners remove it instantly.

None of this should've been necessary. Alta's production line is already set up to assemble EX & SM kickstands, this
would've been cake for them. If I order a complete kickstand assembly, I expect to receive an assembled kickstand.

Ray

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I would call Alta or the credit card company because you ordered a Factory kickstand assembly but instead received a DIY kickstand kit!

rayivers

Well... at this point I'd be happy if Alta just started assembling them prior to shipment from here on out, so others won't have to deal with it. They seem very on top of things, so hopefully that'll happen.

I wonder if the EX kickstand is the same? My arm is 368mm / 14.5" from pivot center to farthest tip of foot.

Ray

snydes

Staff member
Great write up, thank you. I think there are some growing pains they will hopefully overcome as things progress.

Oded

Just from the photos, it looks similar to my EX kickstand.
I find it to be too long, and would like the bike to lean sideway a little more, is there an easy fix for it?

rayivers

I find it to be too long, and would like the bike to lean sideway a little more, is there an easy fix for it?

If you remove the foot / cut a bit off the end of the arm / foot back on, that should work (the arm hole is very deep). I'd use a heat gun on the arm end to get the foot out, keeping the heat away from the foot as much as possible (the plastic will get soft & might break off the foot 'stem' inside the arm). I'd order & receive a new foot before starting, since if you order it you won't need it. :) There's also the SM arm, which looks about 30mm shorter to me in the pics... How long is your kickstand arm?

Ray

TeslaRaptor

@rayivers these “additional instructions” were super helpful. Thanks for providing them.
Based on my mistakes/learnings let me add a few more:

1) the smaller spring goes inside (meaning through the larger spring). I mistakenly though “inside” meant in the divot of the kickstand....with the larger spring “on top” of the smaller. Everything progressed much nicer on that step once I inserted the smaller spring in and through the hole of larger one.

2) I took a pretty aggressive stance with filing down the ribs. And feel there is very little chance of The foot coming out.

3) with the ribs filed down a bit.....I took a socket/socket extension and rubber hammered the foot into the kickstand shaft. Slowly each rib of the kickstand went in.

4) the kickstand kit I ordered came with an electric cord/plug that is for use on the SM. It is not used on the MXR.

5) the pivot ferrule from the rear brake is the same as is needed for the kickstand. It already has the 2 o-rings and grease in it. @Rashid510 confirmed it was the same part #....so if you already did the rear brake pedal removal (to add the left hand rear brake) then you can reuse that piece on the kickstand install.