My 240v Battery/Inverter Track Side Charging Setup

joer

For anyone that’s interested, here’s my setup for topping up my Varg at the track. I didn’t really want to deal with the maintenance and fuel on a gas generator. I got the Varg because I was sick of changing oil and cleaning air filters. :) So I went for an external battery instead.

I had posted this on Facebook, but that’s such a lousy medium for referencing something like this.

Please note: I’m not an electrician, so I’ve likely done something ill-advised here. Don’t take my word as gospel.

I bought a 5KWh 48V LiFePo4 battery off AliExpress along with a 5KW 48v to split-phase 240V inverter. It’s enough that I can comfortably run the bike’s charger at full speed in between sessions at the track.

At max charging speed, I’m pulling about 75 Amps at the 48V battery, so I only get to use about 80% of the battery’s rated capacity before the BMS shuts it down. It’s about 60-ish minutes of charging at full speed. I could slow down the charge rate on the Varg and probably get more out of the battery, but I don’t really need it.

The inverter has 2 sets of North American 120V outlets on the back, each 180 degrees out of phase with the other. I bought a Y-adapter that let me recombine them into a single 240V NEMA L14-30 plug which the Stark plugs into nicely.

I also bought a pair of pre-crimped 2 AWG cables with Anderson connectors that make it super easy to connect and disconnect the DC side of things. I bought a much smaller set of wires that I wire up to the inverter’s pre-charge resistor. I plug that one in first, wait 10 seconds for the capacitors to fill, and THEN plug in the large cables. Otherwise, you get one hell of a SNAP.

The battery came with a 48v charger, but it was defective. I ended up buying my own 15 Amp charger which will easily fill the battery overnight.

This setup lets me keep the Varg’s battery in that sweet spot for NMC batteries, between 40-80%. (Honestly, the battery will likely outlast the rest of the bike by a long shot. I'm just mildly neurotic.) The LiFePo4 battery is much more durable so I’m more willing to push it harder (charing to 100% and running it till it shuts down). I leave all this in my trunk while at the track and the cable from the Varg charger is sufficient to reach without the need to extension cables.

I’ve found a single charge on the Varg just a little lacking for riding intermediate pace MX at a fairly muddy track an 48 HP. But not by much. With the extra battery I get all the riding I care to have for a day and still head home with 40-50% on the Varg.

It’s not a cheap setup. But a generator that can feed the Varg at full speed isn’t cheap either. And I didn’t want to go back to changing oil and cleaning air filters. This setup is also helpful at other times. Say the power goes out, I can keep my fridge running for a good long while or whatever. Or at least, that's how I'm justifying this to myself. :)

I should really have a fused link on the DC side of things if I wanted to be safer. At the moment, I’m relying on the battery’s BMS to shut down if things go too nuts.

I’ve now bought two such batteries. I over-reacted when I saw the first couple of reviews come out (my local track had not yet opened) and pro guys were tearing through the battery really fast. Since it takes months to get a battery from China, I ordered a second. Turns out that’s super-overkill for my use case. But now I've got an absurd amount of extra juice if I take both with me. Might be good for a race weekend or something. Who knows.

What I can tell you is these batteries are cheaply made and vary a lot between one and the next. My second battery had very poorly balanced cells and I was initially only able to pull about 54% of rated capacity before the BMS shut down the battery. The batteries have a passive cell balancer, but it takes a VERY LONG TIME to do it’s job. In this case, months. But after cycling this battery two dozen plus times, I’m now able to pull about 75% of the rated capacity and it’s still getting every-so-slightly better every time. (I’m tracking this.). I think the best I can hope for is about 85% when charging the Varg at full speed.

The upshot is: Don’t expect to pull 5KWh from a battery this cheap right out of the box. And the tech support is all chat-based and run through Google Translate. TLDR: Buyer beware.

The batteries are about 80lbs each and come with convenient handles. The inverter is about 45lb and is a bit awkward to move about.

URLs for the bits needed. I make ZERO claims for any of these products or sellers, other than they all worked for me. The battery took 3-4 months to arrive from China.

48V Battery and Inverter

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005738601747.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006042570368.html

48V Charger
https://www.canbat.com/product/48v-15a-lithium-battery-charger-lifepo₄/

Pre-crimped cables:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09GV5T4MT
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B094MH318S
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08V1629L1

IMG_0787.jpeg

IMG_0788.jpeg

MaineEvent

Can you post a picture of your setup? I’ve been researching this type of solution and love the fact you’ve implemented it.

I’ve also been debating Anker, Ecoflow, and bluetti power stations. It appears they offer euro/uk versions of their product that output at 230V. I’d be curious if one of these solutions might work as they all offer extended/linked battery packs.

Theo

I got the Varg because I was sick of changing oil and cleaning air filters.
Same for me; people usually talks about the way in which the Varg feels riding it, while in my opinion what changes the most is the ownership more than the use becuase of the less maintenance.

This setup lets me keep the Varg’s battery in that sweet spot for NMC batteries, between 40-80%. (Honestly, the battery will likely outlast the rest of the bike by a long shot. I'm just mildly neurotic.) The LiFePo4 battery is much more durable so I’m more willing to push it harder (charing to 100% and running it till it shuts down).
I am a little confused because when you mention batteries sometimes I don't understand whether you are talking about those external batteries or the one in the bike. What I've understood is that you keep the bike's battery between 40% and 80% and that you are less worried about the external ones because of a different chemical composition, but, according to Stark's site, the battery of the Varg has a Lithium ion phosphate chemical composition, too. I usually charge it to 100% before a track day and keep the bike stored at 30%-50% as suggested in its manual.

It’s not a cheap setup. But a generator that can feed the Varg at full speed isn’t cheap either.
The generator is also way more expensive to run because fuel costs way more than electricity (at lest here in Italy).

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, how the prices have come down. That's pretty amazing. I had a similar setup back in ~2019, with five BattleBorn LiFePO4 batteries and an AIMS inverter/charger. I paid $6K for that setup, but the batteries kept dying on me. Luckily, I managed to sell the batteries on eBay before the prices came down. Then the next set of batteries caught on fire and I decided I did not want to do DIY stuff anymore, LOL. Now I have an Anker 3800 unit with one expansion unit and solar panels.

joer

I am a little confused because when you mention batteries sometimes I don't understand whether you are talking about those external batteries or the one in the bike. What I've understood is that you keep the bike's battery between 40% and 80% and that you are less worried about the external ones because of a different chemical composition, but, according to Stark's site, the battery of the Varg has a Lithium ion phosphate chemical composition, too. I usually charge it to 100% before a track day and keep the bike stored at 30%-50% as suggested in its manual.
I'm pretty much always talking about the external battery I purchased from AliExpress. Being LiFePo4, they'll stand up to a lot of punishment. And frankly, if they die I don't care nearly as much.

The Varg is definitely not a LiFePo4 battery. They use NMC chemistry cells. Specifically, it's Molicel 21700-P45B cells. LiFePo4 would be too heavy and not energy dense enough for a motorcycle application. If we though the Varg was a bit heavy now... :)

Again, I don't know that it's entirely necessary to baby the on-board battery of the Varg that much. I suspect it will outlast the rest of the bike by a good margin. But since it's relatively easy for me to bring extra juice with me, I figure why not. Also, topping up at the track means I've always got enough to let guests take it out for a spin. It's surprising how many people are interested in trying the Varg. I've been happy to oblige.

I also should have clarified: I ride exclusively at an MX track. Not trails or anything like that. So I typically have 20 minutes of riding, and 20 minutes while the kids are out. On a very busy day, it might be 40 minutes off if they've split us into three groups instead of two. Charging at the full speed of the included charger works out really well in this scenario.

joer

Can you post a picture of your setup? I’ve been researching this type of solution and love the fact you’ve implemented it.

I’ve also been debating Anker, Ecoflow, and bluetti power stations. It appears they offer euro/uk versions of their product that output at 230V. I’d be curious if one of these solutions might work as they all offer extended/linked battery packs.
I looked into it, but they looked pretty expensive for what you get. It also wasn't clear if they'd support the 3500 Watts continuous that the Stark charger will use.

While my system lacks a certain polish that Anker, et. al. have, I think this worked out a little better in terms of total KWh I can bring with.

So far, it's been working really well. Between the Varg, this setup, and my car, I've acquired the nickname "Electric Joe" at the track. I didn't intend to become that guy. Seems I have. Oops!

Theo

The Varg is definitely not a LiFePo4 battery. They use NMC chemistry cells. Specifically, it's Molicel 21700-P45B cells. LiFePo4 would be too heavy and not energy dense enough for a motorcycle application. If we though the Varg was a bit heavy now... :)

I read that article when people started posting the link some time ago, but I didn't know that INR in the cell name means NMC (I'm still starting to learn about electric vehicles) and I just assumed it was a code specific for Molicel products.
The reason for which I thought that the Varg has a LiFePo4 battery is the data in the page about the battery in the Stark VARG - Specification sheet downloadable here at Stark's site. Now that I read better it's not lithium-iron phosphate, it's lithium-ion phosphate. Is that an obvious mistake or can there be an explanation?

fred900

I looked into it, but they looked pretty expensive for what you get. It also wasn't clear if they'd support the 3500 Watts continuous that the Stark charger will use.

While my system lacks a certain polish that Anker, et. al. have, I think this worked out a little better in terms of total KWh I can bring with.

So far, it's been working really well. Between the Varg, this setup, and my car, I've acquired the nickname "Electric Joe" at the track. I didn't intend to become that guy. Seems I have. Oops!
You going to change your screen name? LOL!

Top Bottom