My suspension sucks. (FIXED!!)

Fourth_Floor

I have a 2017 MX and I just can't get the suspension on this to be anywhere near good. I've tried respringing and revalving with PR2, still sucked, sent the forks and shock to N2Dirt to get the Epica cartridges installed and $3600 some odd dollars later the suspension on this bike still blows. I have it about as stiff as the settings allow so it soaks up none of the small bumps but still bottoms really hard. What other options are out there?

Bottomed out.jpg

Hi. I can not believe that after spending that amount of money the suspension still is not right for you!?.

Have you spoken back to either of the places and told them it is not working for you?, have they tried to help and work with you to get it sorted?.

rayivers

If your main problem is bottoming, I think you're much better off solving it with spring rate (progressive, not just super-stiff) rather than damping. Getting the last 25% of travel correct for the big stuff frees you up to do whatever you want with the other 75%. Bottoming bumpers can also really fine-tune the final travel.

Cannon Racecraft will make whatever spring you need - just got one from them last week. I've spec'd 2- and 3-rate progressive springs, PM me if you need any suggestions.

Fourth_Floor

If your main problem is bottoming, I think you're much better off solving it with spring rate (progressive, not just super-stiff) rather than damping. Getting the last 25% of travel correct for the big stuff frees you up to do whatever you want with the other 75%. Bottoming bumpers can also really fine-tune the final travel.

Cannon Racecraft will make whatever spring you need - just got one from them last week. I've spec'd 2- and 3-rate progressive springs, PM me if you need any suggestions.
PM sent!

Jayfox911

I had cone valves on my Alta with 5.2 springs. It was okay. I think it’s just the Alta weight. And I’m 190 lbs so together that’s a lot of weight to hold up when jumping bigger jumps.

like other have said…spring rate should be first then you can try more oil in forks to help with bottoming.
Good luck

Fourth_Floor

I had cone valves on my Alta with 5.2 springs. It was okay. I think it’s just the Alta weight. And I’m 190 lbs so together that’s a lot of weight to hold up when jumping bigger jumps.

like other have said…spring rate should be first then you can try more oil in forks to help with bottoming.
Good luck
Thanks! I'll get it figured out eventually haha. It's definitely doable (excellent suspension on an Alta) I just gotta figure it out. I had a Cannondale waayyy back in the day and I vividly remember overjumping a freestyle ramp (landed flat) and the bike never bottomed out (Ohlins suspension). I remember thinking I was going to die on the way down haha. I believe the Cannondale was the same weight as the Alta, if not a tad heavier.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Geez man, ditch those 4CS forks. All you need is a set of AER48 forks and a set of RaceTech gold valves front and rear with proper shim stacks. I'm running Pro-MX valving in my MXR and it's awesome. Maybe a little stiff for most riders but rewards you when you push hard which to me makes me feel safer to ride fast.

Matt

E-Rider
Geez man, ditch those 4CS forks. All you need is a set of AER48 forks and a set of RaceTech gold valves front and rear with proper shim stacks. I'm running Pro-MX valving in my MXR and it's awesome. Maybe a little stiff for most riders but rewards you when you push hard which to me makes me feel safer to ride fast.
I second this. Not running the pro valving but even with B rider valving I have had no issue on large jumps with RaceTech gold valves.

Fourth_Floor

That's what I like to hear!! If I can snag some AER48's would you share your settings/shim configurations?

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I rode his bike and it is very good. His bike turned better then mine on the pala main track.

Sadly that’s when I decided to go back to a gas bike. And stop wasting money on my Alta suspension. I hope you figure yours out!

You rode my bike with the Expert/A class valving. The suspension i'm running now has the Pro-MX valving is a little stiffer and even better.

Jayfox911

You rode my bike with the Expert/A class valving. The suspension i'm running now has the Pro-MX valving is a little stiffer and even better.
We should meet up at a track in the fall. It’s jetski and boating weather now haha.

mammoth mx in June is the end of the season for me.

Fourth_Floor

I'm definitely going to keep my eyes peeled for some AER 48's for sale but I'm tempted to do an Ohlins setup. Anyone have experience with running Ohlins on their Alta or know what modifications are needed to bolt them up (forks and shock)? As mentioned earlier I had a Cannondale years ago with Ohlins on it and they were amazing back then.

Jayfox911

Matt

E-Rider
I'm definitely going to keep my eyes peeled for some AER 48's for sale but I'm tempted to do an Ohlins setup. Anyone have experience with running Ohlins on their Alta or know what modifications are needed to bolt them up (forks and shock)? As mentioned earlier I had a Cannondale years ago with Ohlins on it and they were amazing back then.
I think liquid performance may have some 48s though I could be wrong. I know they did at one time.