Mylaps Transponder Malfunction on Redshift SM

HadesOmega

So this has happened to me in two races and it's really annoying. At races where I have to rent those mylaps transponders most of the time, the timing equipment will not pick up the transponder when I am riding the Redshift SM. I stuff the transponder in my boot like I always do but on the Redshift it doesn't work. I know it's specific to the Redshift because I race with my Sur Ron Light Bee and KLX140 with the same transponder and the timing equipment picks those up.

I tried different stuff like moving it from the left boot to the right boot. I tried duct taping it to the outside of the boot. I did notice when I rode knee out on one race that it did pick up. So I'm thinking it has to do with the transponder and something interferring with the signal when my foot is on the footpeg.

Has anyone else had this problem?

the transponder I'm renting looks similar to this one
MLP-10R013_0__12738.1569036810.jpg

rayivers

Apparently it's 2.4GHz. I'd wear it as high as possible, away from metal and as out in the open as possible. Stuffed into a boot near a giant radiating metal mass is exactly where you don't want it, regardless of how it's worked in the past.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Usually these are zip-tied to the top of the fork leg, which is higher than your boot. Also, they tell you which side of the bike it should be (usually left).

HadesOmega

Yeah usually people zip tie it to a fork leg but if you race multiple bikes it better to put it in your boot so you don't forget to swap it. But it is suppose to function better closer to the ground and the fork is metal also. I've always stuffed it in my boot but only this bike it does this =(

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I have no idea what the range of a transponder reader would be, but if it is limited, then they are more likely to be seeking for your transponder a little higher on the bike.

But a transponder in the boot is a great idea. When I raced my two Altas in a 1-hour WORCS race in Havasu earlier this year, I was leading the race by about 10-15 seconds, then went to the pits to switch bikes and to move the transponder. If I had it in the boot, I could have just hopped onto the other bike by the side of the track without losing the lead. I might have got a protest filed against me though, but I might have won the race and got away with switching the bikes too, LOL!

HadesOmega

At Kart tracks and many larger tracks they have the signal wire in the track so that's why they want you to have it as low as possible. I suppose if I can remember to take my foot off the peg when I cross the finish line.

There are the transponders that are mounted on a boom but they use the sticker type transponders. You usually stick those on your helmet.

But yeah its very easy to forget to swap your transponder if you have multiple bikes.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Maybe some kind of electro-magnetic interference from the electric motor, which is near your boot? Maybe tape it to your front fender or fork, and gain another foot or two of position advantage to the front of the bike.

HadesOmega

I will try attaching to the fork next time I get a chance I guess. I remember I did attach it to the fork once on a different bike and it made it worse but just for the Redshift. It's going to be annoying having to swap it between bikes.

HadesOmega

In the last Reno race I tried two different position for the mylaps transponder. I tried zip tying it to my belt. That made it worse. Then I zip tied it to my GPS mount on my handle bar and it actually worked. So that's where I will be putting it from now on for the Redshift. It must have something to do with the proximity to the motor.

0901241541_HDR-XL.jpg
0901241541a_HDR-XL.jpg
0901241542_HDR-XL.jpg

Top Bottom