Newbie Here!

Vntgmbk

Hello
I am a new owner of a 2017 Alta Redshift MX. I am a Vintage Bike Collector and recently got it in a trade/sale of a couple of my Vintage Bikes. I did some light research and understand the situation as to Alta no longer existing as a company etc. This bike has a clean Vin but apparently was never titled. It looks to be pretty much like a new bike with very low hours. Long with the bike I got a charger that is supposed to be an Alta Fast Charger? Looks like a little suitcase. I am really interested in getting this bike running but have no on idea where to start. The battery has very little charge left and I have read not to try to operate this way. The connecter on the charger as it is setup doesn't look like it will mate to the input on the bike. If this is too big of a project , I would be also interested in selling the bike and the charger as is. Like I said the bike is like new as well as the charger. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am located in Eastern PA and my email is vntgmbk@msn.com if that is easier to contact me through email.

Thanks again in advance for any help!
Mike

Scooter584

hi, can you post a pic of the charging port on the bike with the rubber cover pulled out? I believe the fast charger works with those bikes. also appears you need to install the cord cap on the end of the cord, if you don't have the matching receptacle (240 volts) for the twist lock cord cap on the pic you can simply install a 120 volt 15/20 amp cord cap and plug into your house receptacle

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
To add on, unless the bike has been updated, you may get a fault on the Rapid charger with a standard bike. The Rapid charger can also be connected with a 110V pigtail as @Scooter584 said. There are a few diys on the site.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
If I'm interpreting the pictures correctly, it looks like the 240v wall plug has been removed from the cable. (See red arrows in the pic below.) They would need to be reconnected. Alternatively, you could just attach a 120v standard wall plug directly to the cable. I'll link a video below.

The bike end of the charger (blue arrow) plugs into the bike under the rubber flap just in front of the seat. I'll also link a video on how to connect the bike to the charger.

1640376710725.png

Here is a video on how to make an adapter to for the 240v plug. But you can also use the same schematic to just put a 120v plug on the end of the wire using the green, black and white wire.

Here is a video on how the charger connects to the bike. This one is using an adapter to go from the 240v plug to a 120v plug (as described in the previously linked video), but shows where you plug the bike in and how to get the charging process started.

There are quite a few Alta folks in PA, so I would think we can get you going.

Vntgmbk

hi, can you post a pic of the charging port on the bike with the rubber cover pulled out? I believe the fast charger works with those bikes. also appears you need to install the cord cap on the end of the cord, if you don't have the matching receptacle (240 volts) for the twist lock cord cap on the pic you can simply install a 120 volt 15/20 amp cord cap and plug into your house receptacle
Hello and thanks for your reply. I'd rather install a 120v cord cap and plug into my house receptacle. Also need to change the end of the charger to one that mates with the bike as it is different. Just want to make sure the charger I have won't harm the bike and will charge it correctly with the 120v end on it and the cap on the end of the bike changed.

Vntgmbk

To add on, unless the bike has been updated, you may get a fault on the Rapid charger with a standard bike. The Rapid charger can also be connected with a 110V pigtail as @Scooter584 said. There are a few diys on the site.
Hello.ans thanks for the help. Is it possible to do a firmware update on the bike still? I believe I read about the update you mentioned to allow it to use the rapid charger. Do I still need to update it if I use i the rapid charger plugged into a 120v house receptacle? If so how do I update it?

Vntgmbk

If I'm interpreting the pictures correctly, it looks like the 240v wall plug has been removed from the cable. (See red arrows in the pic below.) They would need to be reconnected. Alternatively, you could just attach a 120v standard wall plug directly to the cable. I'll link a video below.

The bike end of the charger (blue arrow) plugs into the bike under the rubber flap just in front of the seat. I'll also link a video on how to connect the bike to the charger.

View attachment 8044

Here is a video on how to make an adapter to for the 240v plug. But you can also use the same schematic to just put a 120v plug on the end of the wire using the green, black and white wire.

Here is a video on how the charger connects to the bike. This one is using an adapter to go from the 240v plug to a 120v plug (as described in the previously linked video), but shows where you plug the bike in and how to get the charging process started.

Hello. The people on this forum are great! I live in Eastern PA. Is there anyone remotely close to me in PA 19426 that I can reach out to?

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Hello and thanks for your reply. I'd rather install a 120v cord cap and plug into my house receptacle. Also need to change the end of the charger to one that mates with the bike as it is different. Just want to make sure the charger I have won't harm the bike and will charge it correctly with the 120v end on it and the cap on the end of the bike changed.
I think we are still a bit confused about the bike end of the charger cord not fitting the receptacle in the bike. Can you post a pic of the port under the rubber port cover in front of the seat?

It should look like this:
1640412396252.jpeg

Vntgmbk

My Bad. After looking closer at both connectors, they look they will mate as it is the same as yours. The end of my charger that plugs into the wall is off. I watched the adapter video but since my round 240v that I have has been taken off, can I connect a standard cord plug directly on the end or must I use the 2 round connectors in the video also? Thanks for your help as this in is all new to me as I am used to working on 30-50 year old bikes. Lol

Vntgmbk

View attachment 8044

Hello and Merry Christmas! Since my 240v plug is off of the Charger and the 3 wires are exposed, can I wire 120v plug directly on the end or does something else have to be changed if I don't use a240v to 120v adapter like you made in your video. Just want to make sure so I don't damage anything. I guess for a quick test I could use wire nuts to connect green to green, white to white and black to black using a standard appliance cord?

20211225_134930.jpg

20211225_134935.jpg

Vntgmbk

C5tor
Would it be possible for us to talk on the phone or text after Christmas? My email is vntgmbk@msn.com and my number is 610-291-8735. I am interested in getting one of those diag kits you made the video of to assess this bike I now have and I have alot of questions and you seem to have a wealth of knowledge on these bikes. It would be awesome to be able to get bike going again. I'm worried the longer it sits with almost a dead battery the more damage I am Doing to it which would be ashame as the bike looks brand new. Thanks for all of your help thus far!
Mike

B. FRANK

Vntgmbk, I am in washingtoncrossing pa and I have the multi tool for diagnostics but I've never used it because my bike was repaired and updated by others on this forum( thanks again) I also do not have any experience with the chargers because my sm plugs in to the wall outlet using only an extension cord but if I can be of any help reach out Brian frank 215 801 6459 or brianfrank218@gmail.com

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Yes, I would wire it green to green, black to black, and white to white on a 120v (5-15p) plug. Make sure the green light comes on for the gfci switch. If that comes on, you should be good to plug into the bike. At worst it doesn’t work, but it shouldn’t harm the bike. At best, it charges. I would speculate that that the previous owner may have had the charger wired with a 120v plug at some point, and took it off maybe???

Unfortunately, I’m on a trip, so not convenient to really chat much for now. My loaner kit is currently on loan, and there are a couple folks on a waitlist at the moment. You might want to take @B. FRANK up on his offer, as he should have a fully functional MultiTool setup. You might also be able to test with his charger as well. (Oops, he has an SM, so the charger is built into the bike - so that won't help in your case.)

I have another vid on how to hook up MultiTool and do some basics. @TCMB371 has a much more comprehensive video on using MultiTool. Just search youtube for “alta multitool” and it should pull up the right stuff.

Vntgmbk

Yes, I would wire it green to green, black to black, and white to white on a 120v (5-15p) plug. Make sure the green light comes on for the gfci switch. If that comes on, you should be good to plug into the bike. At worst it doesn’t work, but it shouldn’t harm the bike. At best, it charges. I would speculate that that the previous owner may have had the charger wired with a 120v plug at some point, and took it off maybe???

Unfortunately, I’m on a trip, so not convenient to really chat much for now. My loaner kit is currently on loan, and there are a couple folks on a waitlist at the moment. You might want to take @B. FRANK up on his offer, as he should have a fully functional MultiTool setup. You might also be able to test with his charger as well. (Oops, he has an SM, so the charger is built into the bike - so that won't help in your case.)

I have another vid on how to hook up MultiTool and do some basics. @TCMB371 has a much more comprehensive video on using MultiTool. Just search youtube for “alta multitool” and it should pull up the right stuff.
Ok thanks. I’m going to try to put a 120v 5-15p plug directly on the 3 wires that are exposed as the 240v plug appears to have been taken off. I’ll reach out to Frank as well to,see if I can borrow his multi tool. I’ll look it up on YouTube to get an idea as to how to use the multi-tool. This is all Greek to me but hopefully It will have a happy ending and I’ll have an awesome Alta to ride and it will be well worth the learning. Thanks again and I will post my progress!

Scooter584

Ok thanks. I’m going to try to put a 120v 5-15p plug directly on the 3 wires that are exposed as the 240v plug appears to have been taken off. I’ll reach out to Frank as well to,see if I can borrow his multi tool. I’ll look it up on YouTube to get an idea as to how to use the multi-tool. This is all Greek to me but hopefully It will have a happy ending and I’ll have an awesome Alta to ride and it will be well worth the learning. Thanks again and I will post my progress!
after you get the cord sorted out and ready to plug into the wall. then plug into the bike turn the key and hit the red kill switch on you should here a click on the bike and in a few seconds on the dash it will say charging and you'll hear the charger running. if nothing happens read the dash it may say "connect AC cable" or "external charger fault." Then simply press the reset button on the yellow GFCI box on the house power end of your cord.

PXL_20211229_005109766.jpg

Vntgmbk

Ok got the cord sorted out and I put a 5-15p 120v end on it. Plugged it into the bike then into the outlet, pushed the reset on the GFCI and got the green light. Turned the key heard the fluid pump running then flipped the run switch on and it said starting.... for 5 seconds or so then I heard a click then it said stopped.... Code 103. After I shut the key off I noticed some blue led lights blinking above the battery?

20211228_200505.jpg