General Noise

Butch

Poseur
We like the silence, tho we know there is still all sorts of sounds. The tyre noise is awesome.

I am evaluating a new Kali helmet. I rode with it on my R6 on the freeway and noticed more wind noise in certain orientations. Minor. Yesserday I rode the SM/EX and wow… you notice all sorts of things when the mask of engine noise is removed. The helmet made a definate hum in a certain orientation between 45 and 50 mph. Today I rode the R6 and could not tell becaise of all the oher noise and yeah, aftermarket exhaust.

the new Kali line is to be introduced in January, all Carbon Fibre… the one I am testing is “Octane”. It is pretty bitchen. The helmets they have in stock still are on sale for delio… I think I have six Kali helmets right now. Yeah, I like them.
more here

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Value-priced helmets named after Hindu gods... That's interesting.

Back in my adventure riding days (5 years ago), I almost earned a PhD in helmet noise. The KTM 1190 Adventure R that I had had am atrocious tiny "windshield", the sole purpose of which was to generate as much helmet noise and wind buffeting as possible.

I bought and tested 12 helmets and returned 10 of them. I tried different windshields, wind deflectors, and spacing out windshields to allow airflow underneath them. I eventually found a combination of windshield, spacers, and a helmet that was acceptable.

The real problem was the KTM, which was a big and heavy POS, which was not "ready to race" at all. Once I sold it, all my problems magically disappeared.

Butch

Poseur
Hindu gods, eh? Gods, capital G?

I rode the Octane again today on the Alta.
My, I like that helmet. Perhaps if i wear earplugs i will not hear the wind noise. It is pretty minor, enough that it is not there on an ICE bike.

Philip, do you do a paper for your PhD? Do share.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I always wear ear plugs when riding the Alta. The gears, the chain, and the wind noises are just not very satisfying. And at the MX tracks I do not want to listen to other bikes.