NRC fender eliminator

Wnuudiction

I got this fender eliminator. It comes with no instructions. There apears to be a resister, I could trial and error but figured a more experienced member put it on already.

dgedition

I have a set of NRC front signals and fender eliminator. Haven’t had a chance to fit them yet but the resister you’re talking about is a load equalizer to bring the turn signals to a normal flash rate. You don’t have to install it, your signals will just flash slightly quicker then stock.

The NRC is plug N play besides the equalizer so let it rip with the install. You can’t plug anything in wrong.

I’ll try and get into it tonight and let you know what I come up with,

Wnuudiction

From Justin at NRC

The big spade connectors coming off the dual element diode we provided to into the opposite ends. Red to brake, orange to tail labeled on the bike.

For the resistor, you'll take the red and white wires and splice them onto the white wires coming from each signal. Black to any of the grounds.

On Fri, May 25, 2018 at @gmail.com> wrote:
I need a little more help to get this fender eliminator on my '18 alta ex. Can you please really dumb it down for me be cause hate cutting and soldering when I don't fully know what I am doing.
Now to the resister, where to you splice this in and how, and please make it simple, you can't insult me by over simplifying. Does this get put on the alta harness side and tucked in the body? Or on the NRC side and zip tied to the tail light? I appreciate the help.

dgedition

Cool, that’ll save some time for my install. Two thumbs up for NRC, they shipped my stuff out quick and it’s super clean looking!

Wnuudiction

Check out the video above, the nrc light puts out some kind of error code, the signals work fine with the included resistor. The next link is with the stock light back on, which works fine.

Justin from nrc sent me a new tail light and the same results, he said he was sorry, that he had sold a hundred kits with no complaints. Kevin at Alta said they don’t support aftermarket products and wasn’t familiar with this tail. Anyone have any idea? I will send it back if I have to but I’d rather it worked because it looks great when installed. Could it really be an issue with my bike when the stock light works fine?

That initial brake light flash happens when you turn the key on, then on the first press of the pedal or lever you get that short long short flash once then nothing after that. Short long short is coincidentally “S” in Morse code.

Duncan

I have same problem with the S2 LED headlight I bought from Motominded, it flashes on for 1/2 second then nothing, no light.
If I turn off the bike key switch, wait 10 sec, turn it back on, LED flashes again, then dead.
Here's a portion of the prompt and detailed response I got from Motominded:

The AUX circuit we plug the headlight and harness into has a minimum and maximum load or the computer shuts the circuit off.
Alta will not tell us what the minimum is. We are guessing about 5 watts. If the computer does not see the load, the circuit shuts off.
Alta told us the maximum is 4 amps. We know this is not true because we tested with a Squadron Pro at 3.5 amps and the circuit shuts off. I am successfully running the Ultimate Kit, with tail light and it is pulling 2.8 amps and works fine. We know the upper limit is somewhere between 2.8 and 3.5 amps.
Your LED is pulling .9 amps. or 12 watts. Safe within out tested range.

I called my Alta rep and he is looking into it.

I do not understand why they would have a feature that turns off a circuit if a minimum amperage is not met. Maybe a safeguard?
Apparently most owners have no problems with LED lighting they fit to bike, but Wnuudiction and I are not lucky on this one.
In any event I will keep y'all posted if I learn of a fix.

rayivers

Connecting a 39 ohm 5 watt resistor across the 12V aux power will draw a continuous 3.7W and may keep the circuit live (if not, a 33 ohm 10W draws 4.7W). The next thing I'd do would be to make sure it doesn't keep the aux 12V live with the key off (definitely worth an extra 10 sec. with the meter to determine). It's a kludge, but it should work.

snydes

Staff member
It’s certainly is a solid solution to the problem. It is kind of silly that you have to go to that route, after all, the point of LED is to save energy!

rayivers

OK thanks for the tip, cringe a little at wasting that 3.7 or 4.7 watts but it's tiny.

Well, the 39 ohm value is just a guess on my part; you could also get 43 / 47 / 56 ohm 5W resistors (they're cheap) and see what the minimum keep-alive current actually is - that's what I'd do, it's good info to have. Maybe only a watt or less is required.

ChrisG

I had a similar issue with the NCR kit on my SM, but it only effected the taillight, the brake light and turn signals worked fine. I contacted NCR, they looked into it, and discovered the new firmware feature described above: the ECU load tests the circuit and shuts it off if it doesn't see enough load. Justin at NCR sent me a new lens unit with a resistor installed, and everything is working fine now that I've installed it.

Oded

I had a similar issue with the NCR kit on my SM, but it only effected the taillight, the brake light and turn signals worked fine. I contacted NCR, they looked into it, and discovered the new firmware feature described above: the ECU load tests the circuit and shuts it off if it doesn't see enough load. Justin at NCR sent me a new lens unit with a resistor installed, and everything is working fine now that I've installed it.

We would love to see some pictures of the NRC equipped Redshift.

Wnuudiction

Yeah, same here, Justin was very helpful through the whole troubleshooting process. Now just waiting for the resistors in the mail.

Oded

That looks good!
I wonder how it will hold up to some off road riding, and few falls.
Good job on the installation.