Ohlins steering damper fits nicely

gprix1

How do you like the dal soggio spheres?
LOL... I figured someone would notice those. I like them a lot. I have done the SSS cartridge swap on my 300 and these Dal Soggio Spheres perform very similar.
Honestly, if I primarily did motocross I'd probably stay with the AER's as they work fantastic there. However, my main riding is single track and racing enduros in Arizona. Where I live is very rocky and the SSS and Spheres do better in those conditions.

Fod

LOL... I figured someone would notice those. I like them a lot. I have done the SSS cartridge swap on my 300 and these Dal Soggio Spheres perform very similar.
Honestly, if I primarily did motocross I'd probably stay with the AER's as they work fantastic there. However, my main riding is single track and racing enduros in Arizona. Where I live is very rocky and the SSS and Spheres do better in those conditions.
Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking. Btw, let us know how the stabilizer works. I have done the poor man method of cranking down on the stem nut and it helped quite a bit! Recently I have been adding more sag and the bike has been cornering much better for me which is weird but also benefiting from more stability. I think your setup is awesome for your terrain!

Mark911

I loved the way Ohlin integrates their dampers, very clean and allows standard height bars in most cases. I had one on my RMZ450 and just couldn't get the feeling I wanted. Although it has high/low speed adjustments, it lack the variable sweep function of the Scotts. For me that meant the damper was adding resistance while cornering and I like a very "free" feeling on the handlebars when cornering. Others love the resistance while cornering, so it's a personal thing.

Fod

I loved the way Ohlin integrates their dampers, very clean and allows standard height bars in most cases. I had one on my RMZ450 and just couldn't get the feeling I wanted. Although it has high/low speed adjustments, it lack the variable sweep function of the Scotts. For me that meant the damper was adding resistance while cornering and I like a very "free" feeling on the handlebars when cornering. Others love the resistance while cornering, so it's a personal thing.
Interesting...I think I would like the resistance, but I feel fine on a mtb. You got my gears turning on this subject now!

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I noticed than on the Alta I have to grip the bars much tighter when entering bumpy turns compared to other bikes. I wonder why that is. The possibilities are:

1) Front wheel caster trail too short;

2) Not enough steering friction;

3) The bike is heavy and it teeter-totters too much over bumps.

Which one or two cause such a death grip on the handlebars?

Fod

I noticed than on the Alta I have to grip the bars much tighter when entering bumpy turns compared to other bikes. I wonder why that is. The possibilities are:

1) Front wheel caster trail too short;

2) Not enough steering friction;

3) The bike is heavy and it teeter-totters too much over bumps.

Which one or two cause such a death grip on the handlebars?
Are these bumpy turns on the throttle or during breaking (brake dive)...or both?

Fod

Try armorall on the grips! Just kidding! I haven't noticed personally but your probably coming in hotter then I into corners. I quickly though changed my grips and cut down the bars when I first got the bike. My wrists and hands couldn't deal with the stock grips and width.

Fog 25

With the throttle off and rear brake on going over the bumps the front end is going to collapse (Dive). Which is why it’s hard to hang on to. Try opening the throttle a little and you should be able skip over the bumps and drive into the corner. Try going this at a slower pace at first and when you feeling more comfortable increasing your speed into the corner.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
With the throttle off and rear brake on going over the bumps the front end is going to collapse (Dive). Which is why it’s hard to hang on to. Try opening the throttle a little and you should be able skip over the bumps and drive into the corner. Try going this at a slower pace at first and when you feeling more comfortable increasing your speed into the corner.
Throttle and brake at the same time? That's interesting.

I have done that on ICE bikes, mostly mid-turn to gain more control over what the engine does. The Alta's engine offers a plenty of control, so I wasn't thinking about it mid-turn. But going over bumps... I will try that, thanks.

Perhaps the AER fork will feel a little better. I was still referring to my MX with the revalved 4CS.

Mark911

Dynamically, if your forks have a tendency to pack and your rear shock has a tendency to jack, yes, you'll run out of effective trail pretty quick. The fix is to counter these tendencies with the adjustments available (assuming your suspension is in the ball park to start with). Reducing packing in the front involves a combination of increased compression (stiffer) and reduced rebound (faster). The opposite in the rear. Statically, not much you can do about the weight transfer component other than stiffer fork springs and/or pushing the fork tubes as far as possible into the clamps, even below flush! Of course, optimizing the bike for a specific condition usually results in poor performance everywhere else, so it's a compromise.

thsm007

Hi guys- im new to the board. Toying with picking up an Alta. Did a demo / test ride Friday. I found the front end twitchy. I ride with a damper now and would definitley want to with this bike as well. Which Ohlins model worked?

snydes

Staff member
Hi guys- im new to the board. Toying with picking up an Alta. Did a demo / test ride Friday. I found the front end twitchy. I ride with a damper now and would definitley want to with this bike as well. Which Ohlins model worked?

Welcome to the forum. @gprix1 made a custom mount for his Ohlins. Allegedly BRP is working on a Scott’s mount for the Alta. @MotoMinded can probably tell us where they are with that project...