OSET bikes

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
With the FIM petition to recognize electric trials motorcycle competition into the Olympics.
Olympic Trials

Thought a good time to return the talk back to e bikes.

My son has had a 12.5 & now a MX-10 OSET. Also a Yamaha PW-50.
OSET bikes

The MX-10 is no questions simply significantly higher specs vs anything gas powered this side of a fully race preped Ktm65. In the 6 years I owned the 12.5 I may have sprayed wd40 on the chain once. Resale was 80% of purchase price.
The MX-10 gets a 5+hour ride time. Conversation can be made between riders on the Alta. It has 3 potentiometers to fine tune bike behavior depending on skill & conditions.
Simply cannot speak highly enough regarding the OSET products. If you have kids be a ‘cool’ parent 😏

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
The mx10 is faster than a Honda crf50 with 175lbs of lard aboard. They might have fully released power at the end

With my kid aboard I have the throttle response potiometer dialed all the way down to minimize him roosting the grass into loam!!

strider

Two thumbs up for the Osets. My son started on an OSET 12.5 when he was 3 and is now on a Kuberg Cross. Daughter is now on the Oset. The trials style makes it so a 3-year old can sit on the bike and get their feet down to learn. Then I picked up a seat that zip-ties on and fills in the scooped out part to make it more like an MX bike which allowed them to ride it until they are about 6.

Oset didn't have an MX option when my son grew out of the 12.5 (MX10 is a newer offering but still for ages 4-7). Kuberg has MX style bikes in a 16" wheel size. I also like that the Kubergs are made in CZ while the Osets are made in China.

My son will outgrow the Cross in another year or 2. Hoping KTM has their 85-sized ebikes ready by then.FullSizeR(1).jpgIMG_9438.jpgIMG_9457.jpg

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
Two thumbs up for the Osets. My son started on an OSET 12.5 when he was 3 and is now on a Kuberg Cross. Daughter is now on the Oset. The trials style makes it so a 3-year old can sit on the bike and get their feet down to learn. Then I picked up a seat that zip-ties on and fills in the scooped out part to make it more like an MX bike which allowed them to ride it until they are about 6.

Oset didn't have an MX option when my son grew out of the 12.5 (MX10 is a newer offering but still for ages 4-7). Kuberg has MX style bikes in a 16" wheel size. I also like that the Kubergs are made in CZ while the Osets are made in China.

My son will outgrow the Cross in another year or 2. Hoping KTM has their 85-sized ebikes ready by then.View attachment 2427View attachment 2428View attachment 2429
question regarding the Kubergs - I've chosen OSETs over the Kubergs due to the motor on the Osets were mounted to the swingarm vs the Kubergs frame mounted
thus there is no chain growth as the suspension compresses
how has reliability been?
thoughts?

strider

question regarding the Kubergs - I've chosen OSETs over the Kubergs due to the motor on the Osets were mounted to the swingarm vs the Kubergs frame mounted
thus there is no chain growth as the suspension compresses
how has reliability been?
thoughts?
That's interesting. I didn't like the Oset design as it resulted in more unsprung weight. Not that it matters to a 3-5 year old, it just goes against what I've been taught about motor vehicles (seek to minimize unsprung weight so the suspension can do its job). That being said, I have had to adjust the Kuberg chain every Spring while I think I've done it once on the Oset. So definitely something to be said for the swingarm-mounted motor when it comes to chain life.

Reliability of the lead acid Kuberg has been flawless. I don't use the fancy Wi-Fi thing. I just worked him up the 3 different torque levels and top speed over time. He had an epic crash into a fence post that caused the battery connector to dislodge from the controller but I reconnected it and installed a zip tie and it was as good as new.

In other news, I bought a Li-Ion Freerider for my wife and it ate a motor. Nothing catastrophic, but after she had ridden it a few weeks it started chugging and jerking at low throttle. Worked fine at larger throttle openings. Kuberg has been supportive and covered replacement under warranty. They are in the process of redesigning the motor and controller for the Freerider (waiting for the new version to be sent from CZ) so I would not recommend their Li-Ion bikes at the moment.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
That's interesting. I didn't like the Oset design as it resulted in more unsprung weight. Not that it matters to a 3-5 year old, it just goes against what I've been taught about motor vehicles (seek to minimize unsprung weight so the suspension can do its job). That being said, I have had to adjust the Kuberg chain every Spring while I think I've done it once on the Oset. So definitely something to be said for the swingarm-mounted motor when it comes to chain life.

Reliability of the lead acid Kuberg has been flawless. I don't use the fancy Wi-Fi thing. I just worked him up the 3 different torque levels and top speed over time. He had an epic crash into a fence post that caused the battery connector to dislodge from the controller but I reconnected it and installed a zip tie and it was as good as new.

In other news, I bought a Li-Ion Freerider for my wife and it ate a motor. Nothing catastrophic, but after she had ridden it a few weeks it started chugging and jerking at low throttle. Worked fine at larger throttle openings. Kuberg has been supportive and covered replacement under warranty. They are in the process of redesigning the motor and controller for the Freerider (waiting for the new version to be sent from CZ) so I would not recommend their Li-Ion bikes at the moment.
Interesting- thank you for the insight
I understand the unsprung weight consideration but my thoughts were will it matter to a 5 yr old? Haha lol get a job punk & contribute you can ride what daddy buys or walk punk! 😆

I’ve never adjusted the chain on an OSET but that may be subjective as on the MX10 I’ve remained the throttle response very low in regards to the settings to minimize wheel spin to save the yard a bit - until he figured out how to do donuts...

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
The 12.5 used two 12vlead acid batteries- replaced those every 2 years but MX10 uses some specialized lithium battery so far 3 years in with no noticeable degradation.
That being said I’ve evolved as the Alta & MX10 reside inside the living room temp controlled vs 12.5 was in garage it’s entire life

strider

Interesting. Very close in spec to the Kuberg Cross X-Force Pro 50. Heavier but larger battery.

Sadly, both the HVR and X-Force Pro have their rear brakes on the foot. My kids have always had left-hand-rear-brakes on their Osets and lesser Kubergs. Foot brakes are dead people! :ricky: