2019 Overland Expo East

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I was planning my cultural program for this fall. AIMExpo in Columbus, OH in September, Overland Expo in Arrington, VA in October, and maybe even EICMA in Milan, Italy in November, if I win the lottery. I miss the Italian food.

I accidentally came across the Overland Expo ticket sales. The tickets start at a whopping $375/head and there are only 200 tickets left unsold. Shouldn't the exhibitors be paying us to come to see their products?? What am I missing?

OVERLAND EXPO 2019 EAST — OVERLAND EXPERIENCE

Then, fortunately, I saw a better page with more details and cheaper general admission tickets. Still not cheap at ~$80, but not unreasonable. The $300+ tickets include camping, drinks and some classes/seminars.

Then I found even better descriptions. This is where I should have started:
Overland Expo andOverland Expo East

If you have ever been to the Overland Expo, please share your experience. The on-site camping sounds attractive to me, but is it worth the extra price? It is like $500 extra for a party of two.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Alright... I checked and found the exact option that I want: "OVERLAND EXPO 2019 EAST — WEEKEND PASS W/ CAMPING". With a $25 forest camping add-on. Total: $395 for two people.
OE19E_ForestAddOnInstructions.pdf

There are a bunch of classed and seminars, but all the interesting ones are open to everyone.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I am back from the Overland Expo East.

I spent two days there, it was enough to see everything twice and do some people watching -- checking out other people's camping and travel setup.

As I expected -- no Subarus, very few Sprinters, one Ford Transit, no ProMasters. Lots of small Toyota trucks and SUVs, even more than Jeeps.

More than half of all show attendees had roof tents. This is the typical setup:

IMG_20191011_1527420.jpg

There are lots of expensive but high-quality gadgets for camping. Thousand dollar 12V fridges, $500-dollar sinks/stoves, various very expensive luggage racks, etc. One of the exhibitors said that these folks spend a lot of money on their outdoor living gear so that they could live like homeless people.

There are all kinds of portable solar charging setups:

IMG_20191011_1235098.jpg

IMG_20191012_1109560.jpg

I picked up a pretty cool tent. It is not the lightest or the most compact but it sets up in just 90 seconds and looks very sturdy, functional and attractive:

IMG_20191011_1653185.jpg

At least four people were carrying dogs with them around the show. Some of them were small Chihuahuas but one was a medium sized poodle hanging in a baby harness with his long legs sticking out on both sides (sorry, no photo).

There were a few WTF exhibits too:

IMG_20191012_1341076.jpg

IMG_20191012_1343169.jpg