Simple DIY battery mud shield

snydes

Staff member
Here is a simple battery mud shield that anyone can easily whip up out of a variety of different materials. This works with the SXS skid/slide plates and tucks on the inside and rests on the top of it's front mounting clamps. Keeps the mud from building up on the front of the battery in sloppy conditions. Just zip tie it on as needed.

Excuse the crude template drawing, you get the idea.

CCFEC054-9CD0-489E-AE5C-B3FD640EA80A.jpeg1B4F321F-E262-4EC4-A468-689CE51660D7.jpeg

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
With the shield tucked behind the lower bash plate, how do you keep mud from simply sliding down behind? Or is the mud back east stickier and thicker, preventing this from being an issue.

snydes

Staff member
With the shield tucked behind the lower bash plate, how do you keep mud from simply sliding down behind? Or is the mud back east stickier and thicker, preventing this from being an issue.

Our east coast mud could block a hole in pretty much anything.

In seriousness, just use a thin piece of foam if needed.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I think i'd prefer a vented front guard to allow some air to flow over the battery. Break out the holesaw! :D

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Yeah, for sure. Fortunately, here in SoCal we don't have to deal with mud very often. Unfortunately we have to deal with high temperatures, though, and at my skill level these days thermal limiting has become an issue.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Yeah, for sure. Fortunately, here in SoCal we don't have to deal with mud very often. Unfortunately we have to deal with high temperatures, though, and at my skill level these days thermal limiting has become an issue.
Forget the skill level. At my age, thermal limiting has become a constant issue. I get overheated waddling to the kitchen for a drink, reading too fast, or trying to put on my socks.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Forget the skill level. At my age, thermal limiting has become a constant issue. I get overheated waddling to the kitchen for a drink, reading too fast, or trying to put on my socks.
I have found wallowing in the mud alleviates this condition for limited periods, but usually only seasonally... At least for me.

This option may not be as readily available in California.