SM Onboard Charger bricked

Miles Prower

The onboard charger on my SM (#29) seems to be dead.

When I last rode my SM, "Code 33" (High Voltage Isolation) appeared on the dash and all of the lights went out. I was able to ride it back home (sans lights). Now, nothing happens when I plug the Alta extension cord into the charger inlet of the SM.

I ran MultiTool, and all of the values on the «Versions», «Raw CAN», and «RAW Signal» screens for anything related to "Charge," "Charger," and "OBC" are blank. For example:

raw-signal-2.png

The «Loader» screen states "Load Aborted" for the OBC.

loader.png

While the SM was connected to MultiTool, I went ahead and upgraded to Redshift_SM_1_3_1_RC1 firmware. During the upgrade, MultiTool complained that there was no onboard charger. Near the end of the firmware upgrade, I was prompted to raise the rear wheel and run a motor re-timing procedure (which completed successfully). I also did a reset of the Code 33 fault after seeing that the Positive and Negative isolation values were 8467 kΩ ("Good") and 2200 kΩ ("Okay") respectively.

I'd very much appreciate any suggestions on how to handle the bricked onboard charger. Thanks!

Miles Prower

Thanks @Philip & @Mark911 for the quick replies. Much appreciated! Apologies for being off-planet for the past few weeks. It's been a busy busy July — kids taking precedence.

I couldn't find any resources describing how to physically access the OBC. Do I need to drop the battery out of the frame, or can I get to the OBC from the top of the frame after removing the plastics?

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Thanks @Philip & @Mark911 for the quick replies. Much appreciated! Apologies for being off-planet for the past few weeks. It's been a busy busy July — kids taking precedence.

I couldn't find any resources describing how to physically access the OBC. Do I need to drop the battery out of the frame, or can I get to the OBC from the top of the frame after removing the plastics?

In order to remove the OBC you need to do a few things:

1. Remove the skid frame
2. Unplug the HV and Signal connectors.
3. Remove three bolts (1 lonnng one and two smaller bolts)
4. Pull pack
5. After pack is pulled, you can remove the inverter signal connector and harness connector to the OBC.
6. Then you have eight screws (T10) that you need to remove the 110V connector from the plastic deltawing.
7. Three 10mm nuts hold the OBC to the Front Bulkhead.
8. Also there is a T screw holding the ground wire for the OBC. Remove that as well. \
Loosen two torx bolts to slid the ACM down ward along with unplugging the ACM harness and lighting harness. The extra room will help.

Once those are loose/removed the OBC can be removed.....

Now the fun part....due to the challenges of manufacturing, the OBC was installed BEFORE the coolant hoses were installed. With that removing will be an absolute pain in the bum. There is also a thermal pad sandwiched in between the two (OBC and the FBH) which will make a mess. You can pull the OBC without draining the coolant. You will have to wiggle the OBC out of the bulkhead and move the coolant hoses out of the way.

(Pictures and torx values will be updated...)

Are there any errors on MT other than the code 33? Harness may have been damaged too...any external lights or aftermarket stuff?

Miles Prower

In order to remove the OBC you need to do a few things:

[...]

With that removing will be an absolute pain in the bum.

Uggghh. Not looking forward to doing this work. (Hence, I haven't started.)

(Pictures and torx values will be updated...)

I'd love to see pictures if you have them.

Are there any errors on MT other than the code 33? Harness may have been damaged too...any external lights or aftermarket stuff?

There are no mods to my SM other than an inertially activated deceleration flasher (a license plate frame with integrated LEDs that replaced the stock license-plate light), which I've had for pretty much the life of the SM (almost 2 years).

Code 33 was the only fault (which I cleared after seeing that the iso values were "Good" and "Okay"). But as I also mentioned in my initial post, none of the onboard lighting works; headlight, turn signals, brake light are all non-functional.

I appreciate all of your help, Rashid. A bajillion thank-yous!

Miles Prower

Also wanted to note that BMW Motorcycles of SF has a couple onboard chargers left too.

Thanks! I saw your original post about that... and I was thinking that I'd remove my bricked OBC and take it apart first, to see if it's fixable... but given that I haven't even gotten around to removing it, I changed my thinking and went ahead and ordered an OBC from BMW of SF.

Miles Prower

Harness may have been damaged too...any external lights or aftermarket stuff?

Hmmm... after re-reading your post, and also thinking about my lights not working, I'm wondering if my issue is a failure of the main harness (or the harness connector to the OBC and/or ACM). Or maybe the harness is okay, but the OBC and ACM are both dead. (Although MT did not report anything awry with the ACM.)

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Hmmm... after re-reading your post, and also thinking about my lights not working, I'm wondering if my issue is a failure of the main harness (or the harness connector to the OBC and/or ACM). Or maybe the harness is okay, but the OBC and ACM are both dead. (Although MT did not report anything awry with the ACM.)

If you have MT, what does it say for all the lighting outputs?

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Did you try to unzip the firmware package and load the OBC firmware file (OBC_1.1.2.aebin) directly via the Loader tab?

Silenthorse

Does anyone have any ideas of what causes the AC ground not detected issue? Also has anyone been able to charge an SM yet with an offboard standard charger?