Solar wings on an airplane: Scrappy

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Okay, this is kind of outside the Electric Dirt bike arena, but it is related. I promise.

I follow a guy named Mike Patey on Youtube. He makes some of the most badass Short Takeoff and Landing (STOL) airplanes in the world. He built a plane named Draco that was one of the most impressive turbine powered STOL planes ever. I and my son saw it at the Reno Air Races. But then he crashed it.

So, he is currently building a Draco replacement named Scrappy. Over 60 episodes in this build so far, and the engineering is just amazing. He has an engineering company, so can pretty much design, model, and make any kind of pieces he wants. The new plane is going to be the ultimate STOL and Search & Rescue plane.

In this episode, he is talking about installing solar panels on the wings of the plane. He not only intends to use them as a backup for his dual alternator setup, but as ground power for when he is camping. I think he might be over-estimating the available power from the batteries, but it is still an impressive build.

Now to the Electric Dirt Bike tie-in. At the end of the video, he explains why he is adding solar, and why the plane has dual support struts on each wing, even though it has an impressively strong wing already. He intends to strap two Sur-Ron Light Bee bikes to the wing struts for camping! (Well, maybe Segways, but same bike.) How gnarly is that? And he intends to charge them from the solar wings. That is pretty damn badass if you ask me. Anyway, I found it fascinating. His engineering is top-notch, and the build has been fun to watch. The plane is now certified, and ready to fly.

This is the video that explains the solar wings and the e-bike plan. Airplane geeks and EV nerds, enjoy.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Mike finally got the electric dirt bikes (a pair of Segway X260's), and built the wing mounts for the bikes. These mounts are so over-engineered, it is ridiculous. I love these guys that just have a vision and the technical ability (and $$$) to just sit down and design & build the kind of stuff that enters their heads. Good stuff. So, if you want to know how to mount your e-bike on your STOL plane, here you go!

F451

Damn, the amount of drag those bikes are generating. I guess it doesn't really matter with the relatively slow speeds he's flying, but still.

And no doubt, this guy is the man. I wish he was my neighbor, or I had a neighbor like him, Lol.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Damn, the amount of drag those bikes are generating. I guess it doesn't really matter with the relatively slow speeds he's flying, but still.

And no doubt, this guy is the man. I wish he was my neighbor, or I had a neighbor like him, Lol.
Yeah, he addressed that at the end of the video. He's probably going to make a more streamlined fairing for them.

enjoythesilenc

I don't like how the front mount is via the battery cover lugs on the frame. Seems pretty wimpy with a 6mm thru-bolt. Obviously the skill of the builder is on full display so I'm sure my worry is unfounded.

I've toyed with the idea of loading my light bee on my little boat to find a deserted island or remote shorline upon which to ride. This guy has stoked the coals for me.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Aviation is my other guilty pleasure. Scrappy is absolutely ridiculous in almost every regard, but that's what makes it so cool.