Special Tools for - Alta Motors Redshift Models

Elite Motorsports

I know some of you are a sizable distance from your nearest certified Alta Motors dealer. Thankfully, Alta has posted the complete service and owner's manual online for clients to view:

https://www.altamotors.co/ownersmanual/

While I highly recommend taking your bike to a certified Alta dealer for service, I understand that many of you would like to be able to handle the majority of the work on your own. I have decided to compile a list of special tools available from Alta since the Redshift models have a unique construction that requires special tools not normally available.

tools_alta.jpg

7702417-00 - Countershaft holding tool $93.99
7702418-00 - Sprocket gear removal tool $114.99
7702485-00 - Gear Extractor Pinion $65.99
7702498-00 - Output shaft extractor adapter $15.99
7702499-00 - Outer race roller bearing driver $78.99
7702897-00 - Funnel coolant filling $68.99
7703032-00 - Cooling adapter assembly for funnel $46.99
7702929-00 - High Voltage safety gloves $257.99
9902956-00 - EZ-Lok fitting strut $51.99
9902963-00 - EZ-Lok fitting skid frame $46.99

I am waiting on approval to post the price and availability on the dealer laptop. I will keep you posted on this but I think this is a dealer only tool.

allesad

The laptop is going to be a deal breaker.... I'm 4 years into a "relationship" with my Tesla. The beauty of electronics is the reliability and opportunity to change/upgrade/flash the software. The car has had 7 major software releases....awesum. Every 6 months, it's like getting a new'er car.

The ICE mentality is a one shot deal. Buy the vehicle and the feature/function list is frozen.
With eVehicle's, the software can be changed allowing more features, functions, safety, ect. I wish ALTA had Over-The-Air Updates, or at least a USB power, where we could "flash our own". Not being near a dealer limits me under the current configuration....Oh well

Elite Motorsports

The laptop is going to be a deal breaker.... I'm 4 years into a "relationship" with my Tesla. The beauty of electronics is the reliability and opportunity to change/upgrade/flash the software. The car has had 7 major software releases....awesum. Every 6 months, it's like getting a new'er car.

The ICE mentality is a one shot deal. Buy the vehicle and the feature/function list is frozen.
With eVehicle's, the software can be changed allowing more features, functions, safety, ect. I wish ALTA had Over-The-Air Updates, or at least a USB power, where we could "flash our own". Not being near a dealer limits me under the current configuration....Oh well

We understand that it can be difficult to perform updates and diagnosis on these bikes if you don't have a dealer in your area. The tool is extremely expensive (almost $3,000 with the proper adapter) and does not really give the consumer a ton of useful features.

We can do a rental on the tool (requiring a refundable initial down payment to cover for the loss of the tool). This will allow consumers to diagnose and update their machine without forking out over $3K for a tool that doesn't really have many uses.

Having said that, I strongly recommend you take it to a dealer for this service unless it is absolutely impossible to do so.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
We can do a rental on the tool (requiring a refundable initial down payment to cover for the loss of the tool). This will allow consumers to diagnose and update their machine without forking out over $3K for a tool that doesn't really have many uses.
This could be an really attractive solution to some. $3,000 added to my home equity line of credit is just $10/mo. It is about the same as buying a Yamaha's GYTR tuner thingie, if taken over the average duration of a bike ownership. Or less, if you want to keep things as-is and return the laptop early.

allesad

Great offer! I value my time to driving to a dealer, spending the night, meals, waiting, and returning home.... Renting the laptop and cable is a viable option. FYI, The camera industry does this with high end ($5k-$10K) zoom/optical lens. You can rent them for the weekend with overnight shipping, a pelican case and insurance for a fraction of the cost of the lens.

aremean79

@aremean79 -- I think you may want to buy your MXR from Elite Motorsports together with that rental laptop. You will be able to do your own updates and diagnostics at home in Singapore.
Thanks for the tag @Philip. My electric dream has just been revived... Was seriously bumped over the bad news previouly.

On a side note, how often have the MXR (2018) or the MX (2017) been needing a softeware upgrade since its release?

Ultratoad

Mr. ELITE MOTORSPORTS you bring a lot to the table.... AND as a result, when I purchase my MS-R.... I will be buying my tools and necessities from you.... I appreciate a dealer that is TRUELY in the game.... Thank you....

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
On a side note, how often have the MXR (2018) or the MX (2017) been needing a software upgrade since its release?
From listening to the Redshift old-timers it seems like the software updates have been rare and even somewhat optional. You might be better of renting a laptop only when you need it.

Judaslefourbe

Every now and again, a firmware release will have a significant "visible" benefit to you, end users (range increase for instance). Most of the time though, the updates are onboard diagnostics improvements that are invisible to you. They are however extremely useful as they help the motorcycle function better and in some cases, separate false issues (false positive) against real ones requiring a trip to the dealer.
We also use that opportunity to upload use data from the motorcycles that help us our next platforms better.

Fod

Every now and again, a firmware release will have a significant "visible" benefit to you, end users (range increase for instance). Most of the time though, the updates are onboard diagnostics improvements that are invisible to you. They are however extremely useful as they help the motorcycle function better and in some cases, separate false issues (false positive) against real ones requiring a trip to the dealer.
We also use that opportunity to upload use data from the motorcycles that help us our next platforms better.
Can we tell which version we have on our screen? Also do you have a spreadsheet or something you can post with update version number, date created, and changes made? Will the range increase changes cause us to have to do gear changes to get same performance?

Judaslefourbe

At the moment, the display will not show which FW version you have.
As for the logs of the FW update, it is something we are currently working on releasing to the dealers, and eventually to the customers via the portal.
Finally regarding the range improvements: the short answer is no. The improvements come from better efficiency from within the electronics (sometimes two lines of code fight each other), and we are working hard to make sure the motorcycle feels the same every time we make a change.