Stark CA Registration through Ekho Dealer

samuel313

Hello,
I've been reading up on all the CA Stark Owners working on getting a Green Sticker for their bikes.
I pre-ordered the bike through Stark's website and was given the option to title and register the bike through their US dealer partner "Ekho Dealer" for a fee.
I took delivery of the bike on June 7th, 2024. Ekho dealer sent me paperwork/Power of Attorney documents to sign and FedEx back to their offices. They claim all of the paperwork was submitted to CA DMV on July 9th, 2024.
Getting impatient, I tried to go to the DMV myself to get a REG31 filled but the inspector wouldn't sign off without a VECI sticker, which the bike does not have, or MCO. I only just discovered the CARB memo to DMV today.
I was told that even attempting to register the bike would lead to its VIN being flagged and I would never be able to register it in CA ever if the application was denied.
I chose to wait for the Ekho dealer application to finish instead, but have no information as to its status in the DMV system.
Metcalf is only 10 minutes from my house, yet this $14000 bike is just collecting dust in my shed.
Has anyone else received their title and registration from CA DMV who went through Ekho dealer? How long did you have to wait?

LTJ

Hi, I'm currently in the same boat as you. I've talked to Ekho dealer rep and they said they have a large backlog. Once they get to me, it will be another 40+ days for the DMV to process the paperwork.

If you want to talk to the Ekho dealer rep: Ekhodealer Support 1-302-540-0294

I contacted Hollister Hills about this issue and they said it's not problem and they are aware of the situation. They said it would be good to have documentation of the VIN number tied to your name, so I took a snap shot of the stark invoice that has my name and VIN listed and keep it in my iphone notes. So I've been going to Hollister for my first couple of rides. The ranger at the entrance didn't ask for any paperwork, they just let me enter. Last time I was there a ranger did come by to remind me that the stark requires registration. I explained my situation with Ekho dealer and they said no problem. They are reminding folks that it does need to have registration if you are not already perusing it.

Talk to Medcalf rangers, they probably know of the registration delay. If not, take it to Hollister, they have no problem with the Stark.

By the way, I absolutely love the Stark at HH. First ride it was stiff as heck. The suspension needs to break in for a couple of hours before it becomes supple. I backed the clickers all the way out accept the low speed compression and rebound. Those I left a couple of clicks in for holdup. The suspension actually is good for single track HH hack with the clickers backed all the way out and sag set at 100mm. I'm comparing it to my KTM 300 tpi which is super plush. There is still more feedback through the bars than I like so my hands get tired, so I might look into flex bars or something like that. But, it does take big hits and jumps awesome and doesn't blow through the travel like my KTM's.

The motor is next level, always has power and super tractable. I also have the LHRB which I'm really liking. You can use it like a clutch to modulate power. Something I didn't even think about until I started riding it.

It's hard to tell about the range as HH doesn't have good cell coverage. So all I get is hours ridden. All I can say is I can do two long loops of Adobe (12-15 miles per loop) and a loop of Renz (15-20 miles) and the bike still has over 20% left. I'm worn out before the battery is depleted. HH put in 120V outlet at the vintage track parking area by the toilets, so it's now possible to recharge! I think I could ride all day at HH with charging for a lunch break.

It won't replace my KTM's for long day epic adventures in the mountains, but for a Saturday morning to afternoon Hollister run, it's flippen awesome. No maintenance, wash and repeat.

samuel313

Thanks for the info LTJ, I’ve reached out to Ekho dealer a few times. They just say it’s in the DMV’s hands now, just an interminable wait. The lady at the DMV said they’re looking at a 90 day backlog, though my vanity plates for my new truck came in quicker than that.
I’ll try to go to Metcalf or HH sometime soon to see if they’ll let me in. Seems it’s hit or miss with the rangers.
I can’t wait to ride this bike, I’ve heard fantastic things about it.

LTJ

Thanks for the info LTJ, I’ve reached out to Ekho dealer a few times. They just say it’s in the DMV’s hands now, just an interminable wait. The lady at the DMV said they’re looking at a 90 day backlog, though my vanity plates for my new truck came in quicker than that.
I’ll try to go to Metcalf or HH sometime soon to see if they’ll let me in. Seems it’s hit or miss with the rangers.
I can’t wait to ride this bike, I’ve heard fantastic things about it.
Yes, you gotta ride it. Call HH or medcalf first, talk to a ranger before you go and get their name. That way if they give you a hard time, you can get the ranger you talked to to resolve the issue. At least the HH rangers are reasonable about it.

Travelingmike

Angela.Marbray@dmv.ca.gov. I went through all the hassles at 2 different DMV’s- trying to find a single functioning brain. I emailed her politely my plight and time spent. She is on the letterhead with dmv carb letter. Her office called me at home, “go to your dmv office now and pick up your green sticker at window 2“- it was waiting for me. They contacted the manager of my office. I had also submitted that morning all the paperwork for consideration after vin and motor number checks- “ might take awhile”. Hopefully this gets straightened out to save hassle future owners. I got mine about 3 weeks back. Auburn office. My dealer is now attempting registration on the bikes after mine complete- no bike code on his dmv site.

samuel313

I haven't heard back from Angela yet, but I did call the Metcalf ranger office. They're aware of the delays and say that as long as the application fee has been paid (with proof), they are being lenient with Stark Bikes without stickers. I asked if the Bill of Sale showing title and registration fees paid to Ekho Dealer would suffice and they said yes.

Reactions: LTJ

notna

I was able to ride in Metcalf multiple times without having a sticker. While they seem to be not very happy about it they still allow it if you’re not being a jerk.

Registered mine through dirtlegal now and just showing the plate (not even attached) and registration.

samuel313

I took my Stark to Metcalf yesterday and today. They looked at my Bill of Sale yesterday showing fees paid for registration and let me through. This morning they just waved me in when I said I’m still waiting for my sticker. Didn’t seem to mind at all. I will say, the Varg sure piques the interest of other riders at the park.

LTJ

I was able to ride in Metcalf multiple times without having a sticker. While they seem to be not very happy about it they still allow it if you’re not being a jerk.

Registered mine through dirtlegal now and just showing the plate (not even attached) and registration.
Wow, I’m suprised by this. I know HH can be a real stickler if you show up with out of state plates on a bike. Did you do the whole street legal conversion? If so, I’d really like to hear about it. Not to hijack this thread…

notna

Wow, I’m suprised by this. I know HH can be a real stickler if you show up with out of state plates on a bike. Did you do the whole street legal conversion? If so, I’d really like to hear about it. Not to hijack this thread…
I’ve never had any legal questions yet, maybe luck? 🤞😎
In regards to the street legal conversion - I’m lazy and waiting on someone to post a good guide or Stark Future to provide conversion kits.

LTJ

I’ve never had any legal questions yet, maybe luck? 🤞😎
In regards to the street legal conversion - I’m lazy and waiting on someone to post a good guide or Stark Future to provide conversion kits.
This website has a bunch of parts to convert a SV into street legal. I've never used them, so not sure of the quality of the stuff, or know if the company is legit.

Top Bottom