Owner's Review Stark Varg - First Customer Review!

Number Six

Thanks for taking the time to compile all that - being customer #1 is like having a part time job !
Bike looks to be very well engineered.

The only thing I can see that raises an eyebrow is the rather small size of the torx fitting to tighten the rear axle, guess they've got it figured out but I'll miss just stepping on my big crescent wrench to tighten that, all those years spent calibrating my right foot down the drain ...
Fred Flintstone ; meet George Jettson.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Thanks for taking the time to compile all that - being customer #1 is like having a part time job !
Bike looks to be very well engineered.

The only thing I can see that raises an eyebrow is the rather small size of the torx fitting to tighten the rear axle, guess they've got it figured out but I'll miss just stepping on my big crescent wrench to tighten that, all those years spent calibrating my right foot down the drain ...
Fred Flintstone ; meet George Jettson.
I hear you but its nice that it doesnt stick out like a hex nut does though. Good thing though is that you get all the tools you need in one little neat tool box.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Alta owners, i have to say, i cant give specifics, but Stark has made a massive improvement in battery design that has resolved the biggest issues us Alta owners face with our Alta batteries. I truly loved what i saw. Hoping soon i can talk about it. That plus a very efficient inverter and coupled with the radiator that keeps the motor and inverter cool are massive improvements over our bikes.

While the track i rode on was rather easy, small, and low speed, and the temps were 57-61*F with a bit of humidity, never once did the bike limit power on me or really change power output in any way other than what i was asking with the throttle. On my Alta i hit thermal limiting sometimes even before 50% soc used and it makes the bike feel like it has much less range because the last 1/3 to 1/2 my moto is in 250f power mode or less. The Varg not doing this makes a huge difference in "perceived range".

AJLats17

Thanks for review question about jumping vs Alta on my mxr when I come into jumps on track I have to hold throttle steady up face through air and obv land on throttle if I left off in air on my Alta i endo like crazy sane as smashing rear brake on my yz. Not issue on Alta you just need to remember to not let off. How is stark in air ? Is it more like a gas bike hit jumps hard and you’re good it’s hard to hear motor. I kno biggest thing took me getting used to was jumping my Alta Vs gas & almost going OTB first time I forget to hold steady throttle in air. I’d love to hear you’re feedback. Thanks for great review.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Thanks for review question about jumping vs Alta on my mxr when I come into jumps on track I have to hold throttle steady up face through air and obv land on throttle if I left off in air on my Alta i endo like crazy sane as smashing rear brake on my yz. Not issue on Alta you just need to remember to not let off. How is stark in air ? Is it more like a gas bike hit jumps hard and you’re good it’s hard to hear motor. I kno biggest thing took me getting used to was jumping my Alta Vs gas & almost going OTB first time I forget to hold steady throttle in air. I’d love to hear you’re feedback. Thanks for great review.
Yeah i talk about that on the video. Varg has less engine braking than the Alta and it seems to be speed sensitive, less at low speed vs high speed. Jumps much straighter with less nose down in the air, more like a gas bike. They really did a good job of mimicking the off throttle feel of a gas bike imo.

That said, you can adjust it to whatever your liking is. 👍

AJLats17

Yeah i talk about that on the video. Varg has less engine braking than the Alta and it seems to be speed sensitive, less at low speed vs high speed. Jumps much straighter with less nose down in the air, more like a gas bike. They really did a good job of mimicking the off throttle feel of a gas bike imo.

That said, you can adjust it to whatever your liking is. 👍
That’s awesome I’m so pumped to hear that. That’s my biggest gripe w Alta mxr remembering to never let off in the air. Sounds like stark fixed all Alta shortcomings which is awesome.

F451

Awesome Bryan! Thanks for filling us in. Sounds like the SV is a significant performance upgrade from the MXR in every way, which is exactly what I was hoping it would be.

I can't wait for these to be in customer hands so we can continue to get real world feedback.

rayivers

Excellent video!! I definitely need to watch it again. It will be so great to be able to adjust the motor / throttle parameters. One thing I might want to do right away is drop the footpegs a bit, looks like a custom bracket might be needed (or maybe there will be an aftermarket solution).

Brillie35

Make Alta Great Again
(y)
For anyone in doubt about the rear brake option.
You could also do a combined rear foot brake and left hand brake.
The only special part needed is a insert for the foot brake reservoir.

Number Six

(y)
For anyone in doubt about the rear brake option.
You could also do a combined rear foot brake and left hand brake.
The only special part needed is a insert for the foot brake reservoir.
That's my plan to try & train myself to the LHRB while still leaving the foot brake operational.
Can anyone identify the manufacturer of the master cylinder Stark is using on the left side ?
I already have a spare Brembo left side hydraulic clutch master, but those clutch masters don't hold enough fluid to allow for the wearing down of the brake pads.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I already have a spare Brembo left side hydraulic clutch master, but those clutch masters don't hold enough fluid to allow for the wearing down of the brake pads.
The Alta LHRB uses a stock KTM/Brembo clutch master, and it works fine.

But in Bryan's video, the Varg is using a bigger LHRB master cylinder reservoir. It is just as big as the front brake master cylinder reservoir. I have only seen such big clutch reservoirs on pros' bikes.

1681776681559.png

Number Six

Yeah, I'd like to know the piston size.
The larger fluid capacity is so there's enough fluid in the system to compensate as the pads wear down.
I would suppose Stark would have that as a part that could be purchased ?

What type of adapter is needed on the rear Brembo system to have both foot brake & LHRB operational ?
Guessing I'll also need a custom brake line as well ?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The piston size alone is irrelevant without the leverage and the piston travel information. A 9mm on a Brembo may not be the same as 9mm on a Formula Brakes, unless the leverage and the travel are exactly the same.
What type of adapter is needed on the rear Brembo system to have both foot brake & LHRB operational ?
Guessing I'll also need a custom brake line as well ?

You can always install the Alta LHRB: