Stark Varg foot or hand brake?

Stark Varg - Which brake potion did you choose?

• Hand Brake

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Foot Brake

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Hand Brake - I may add the foot brake later

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Foot Brake - I may add the hand brake later

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • I can't make up my mind, help me!!!

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I went with the footbrake option thinking it would be way easier to add a hand brake later vs the latter. I've tried Alta's with a hand brake but ultimately feel better using a foot brake since i bounce back and forth between my Alta and my gas bikes.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I really wish there was the "Both Brakes" option. I really want two brakes!

This is very likely the same Brembo master and slave cylinders as on the Alta. So the dual brake option, as described here, should work perfectly.

I ordered the hand brake option. But I think I made a mistake. I might have to change to the foot brake option.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Dual brakes conversion options:

Option1: Ordering the foot brake and adding the hand brake (the same method as on the Alta):
Add:
1) Hydraulic hose from the Brembo clutch lever to the Brembo rear brake master cylinder
2) Clake LHRB insert
3) Brembo hydraulic clutch master cylinder with lever
Cost: about $290

Option 2: Ordering the hand brake and adding the foot brake:

Add:
1) Hydraulic hose from the Brembo clutch lever to the Brembo rear brake master cylinder
2) Clake LHRB insert
3) Brembo rear brake master cylinder
4) Hydraulic hose from the Brembo foot brake master cylinder to the rear brake
5) Stark-specific foot brake pedal, mounting bracket, and hardware made from unobtanium and shipped from Spain
Cost: a lot more $$$ + time

Chadx

I ordered 'left hand rear brake' as that is the setup I have on my Surron X, ATV, mountain bike and eMTB. On my ICE bikes, I seem to be able to still flip into "hand clutch/foot brake" mode in my head. Will be interesting to see if that changes if my percentage of riding EV dirtbike starts to exceed ICE dirtbike.

Interesting note on my use is that my ATV has both left hand rear brake and right foot rear brake and I realize I never use the foot brake; always the left hand brake for the rear actuation. For context, I turn 50 this year and so have been riding clutched dirtbikes (and later, street bikes) for 40 years.

wwmotors

I go since 2007 on the first electric MX bikes with the handbrake. More feeling, no difference in footwork between left- and righthandcorners. Also on my ALTA MXR only handbrake! I ride ICE bikes from time to time and it takes only a few seconds to switch back to footbrake. So no problem there. I will always go with the handbrake if technically possible!

SHSMITH76

I went with the footbrake, I have been riding for years and at 50 years old and not making this my only bike I feel having a brake where the clutch lever normally resides would be too much for me to get used to.

Fog 25

This is very likely the same Brembo master and slave cylinders as on the Alta. So the dual brake option, as described here, should work perfectly.

I ordered the hand brake option. But I think I made a mistake. I might have to change to the foot brake option.

Philip, looks like with the hand brake you get both. Might want to send them a email and ask them?

3CB7B956-72ED-4DE2-8E1F-76946933DB9A.jpeg

hightechnature

Ok Guys, I also just put down the massive $100 deposit on the red max HP Stark VARG with the hand brake for the 220 pound rider. I don't honesty need one because my Alta MXR still looks and drives like new and only has 1700 miles on it. But, as we all know, need and want blur as we look deep into a new motorcycles' soul -and this electric 80hp red motorcycle got the best of me.

I hope Star Varg makes it because March 2023 is still 5 quarters away and this market requires a lot of capital to make it to a successful sustainable entry point. If they stay boutique and appeal to our growing e-Cool motorcycle community, they can make it.

A quick comment on range: I don't think the range will be significantly more on the Stark than the Alta MXR that I have now. My guess is maximum of 15% more range given the same riding profile more about that below. The riding profile is a 2 dimensional calculation that maps the number of starts, stops, the amount and rate of acceleration, deceleration, time at certain speeds and the amount of breaks used etc. Our batteries are 5.4kWh on the R versions and the Stark VARG comes with a 6kWh battery. This equates to 11% more capacity -which is a good start but knowing what I know about electric motor and inverter efficiencies, trying to get another 4-5% range from system level efficiencies is very hard to get. Let me explain.

What we e-enthusiasts need to understand is that the convenience of taking about a single motors' efficiency and a single inverters' efficiencies is largely meaningless. Yea sure, some motors can reach a peak efficiency of 95% or more and a some inverters can achieve a peak efficiency of another 97% or more (Check out www.pre-switch.com for some new technoloyg that would help these guys) but the real story is the system level efficiency over the riding profile. As an example, a Tesla Model S driving at 100KPH (62 MPH) is only using 20kW (26.8 HP) of the 350kW (470 HP) potential output power of the system -which equates to 5-6% of the total designed for power. Inverterts in the 300kW space typically fall off frion their peak efficiencies 5-8% at low loads like this 5% example. Motors have an even larger fall off from their peak. To compound the challenge of getting more efficiency for a motorcycle is the fact that it is easier to design a high power inverter to be more efficient (say 300kW) than it is to make a 30kW system efficient. To explain this is more than I want to spend time on but it has to do with transistor voltages, transistor types, switching losses and overhead computation. The point is that getting system level efficiencies above the Alta may get us 4-5% range but to achieve this is very challenging from an engineering and cost perspective -but this is where the efficiency innovation is being played out.

From the Stark perspective, If we assume they will get an extra system level efficiency the next challenge is getting the user to rade at the same ride profile to get the 15% more range. Having 80HP available at a flick of a wrist reduces range below our 50 HP Altas. However, I suspect I speak for many of us when I point out the obvious: If we have another 30 HP above our beloved Altas, will we able to resist the urge to let those 80 horses roosting us past those dinosaur guzzling 2 stroke idiots that make our clothes smell and scare the wildlife away? I suspect not. So more range or not, bring on the Stark VARG!!

Chadx

Philip, looks like with the hand brake you get both. Might want to send them a email and ask them?

The current offering for buyers is to choose between the two. Their accessory and parts page is not active yet. There may be something they offer there, but the no-cost option at ordering is choosing between one or the other.

rayivers

I asked Mike Lorenzo at Stark whether the hand-brake option included the foot brake, he replied this AM:

"No it doesn't. If you choose foot brake the hand brake is not included and viceversa but you will be able to buy it later in our Parts and Accessories."

blbills

I asked Mike Lorenzo at Stark whether the hand-brake option included the foot brake, he replied this AM:

"No it doesn't. If you choose foot brake the hand brake is not included and viceversa but you will be able to buy it later in our Parts and Accessories."
If that's the case I'm glad I I ordered the hand brake. Those are a serious PIA to bleed. Let them do that at the factory and I'll install the footbrake on my own.

rayivers

To be fair, their own promotional video shows the bike with BOTH rear brakes. (See green arrows.) Seems only fair that they offer that option to buyers.

Agreed - I'd definitely go for it. It's good to know they've already worked out the details for the accessory LHRB to work with the foot brake.

TheLHRBguy

Forum's Sponsor

View attachment 8072
I looked at their site and ordered a new Stark..... However, as of now their site shows you have to pick one or the other. The are both not included at this time.

However, we make it possible so you can add a Left hand Rear Brake + keep your factory Rear foot brake at the same time, for a very reasonable price (no need to choose... Have BOTH).... This isn't a sale pitch, but we just introduced the strongest Left Hand Rear Brake on the market today, and it is completely separate from your factory foot brake. I can't see myself without both (try it.... money back if you don't agree 100%). See our OX_Brake Instagram for the release... it will be a week or so till it's on our website. The Alta Version 2.0 is already ready to ship (we have shipped a few, we will get a Alta page, as there are a few small modifications necessary to install our unit on the Alta. If you want to order one now... a KTM, Husky, or Gasgas "Pro" are the same unit. So you can take it with you to your next bike if it's in the KTM brand of families.

I do try to talk customers out of cutting their rear brake pedal off.... everyone is different, and we respect everyone here at OX Motorcycle Products. However, I love the idea of two completely different systems working in perfect harmony.... if you wreck and loose the upper one.... you still have the factory one with your foot .

I don't want to go too far, but we sell a number of left hand rear brakes to the Alta crowd already (most of you guys just don't know it ). User ajordan282 just did the install and sent me the photos. Again, you're welcome to talk to a few of our Alta guys that ride our new pro 2.0 LHRB....

Again, this a is a brand new revised system released today. It is not our old system... 3x the pushrod travel, and so much more power. Any questions reach out to Support@oxbrake.com.

I hope I can contribute here.... I just ordered a Stark myself!!

Cheers, and Happy New year to you all!!!