stark varg leg grips

jasonjm

just got my stark varg dont want to get into reviews or anything yet, but i ride a lot of steep vertical (10 000s ft in a ride) and the one immediate problem i have is the stark is very narrow and tapered the wrong way making it very difficult to grip with your legs......

is there a fix that can be done for this

being unable to grab bike properly with legs makes it offload all that onto arms, hands and shoulders which is brutal.

MaineEvent

Check out the RJ Wing seat by Guts Racing. I rode a buddies varg the other day at the track and it significantly increases the area you can grip with your knees.

FreedomFlyer

It is hard for me to grip as well, very narrow.
I am going to try some streetbike tank grips or surfboard tail grips.
I think the surfboard tail grips might be better as they have a wedge at the end giving the knee something to push into.
I will report back after the experiment. Those Steg Pegs are on the list as well.

Trail buddy gave me the idea.1723933078065.png1723933107580.png1723933142605.png

fully

Steg Pegz further back style are excellent for trail riding. No need to ever grip again. Get two pucks that will sit just behind your boots when they're vertical

Chaconne

See husky 300 2 stroke vs starkView attachment 11753View attachment 11754 you can see the seat is not the widest point vs the stark where the seat is
You are comparing two different types of bike. The Stark is an MX bike, the Husky is an enduro/trail bike. Narrow corner carving sliding up to the tank ripping it, is the way the Stark is designed.

On most MX forums you will see that most MX'ers want a narrow bike. Yamaha has gone to great lengths to narrow its MX bikes. Overall though I would say that making a narrow bike fatter is easier than trying to thin a fat bike. The Yam even used to be called the BBP for big blue pig.

I think if you add some after markets you will find the Stark good for what you want to do though. I no longer use my xcw 300 the Stark is much better all enduro/trail for me.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
You are comparing two different types of bike. The Stark is an MX bike, the Husky is an enduro/trail bike. Narrow corner carving sliding up to the tank ripping it, is the way the Stark is designed.

On most MX forums you will see that most MX'ers want a narrow bike. Yamaha has gone to great lengths to narrow its MX bikes. Overall though I would say that making a narrow bike fatter is easier than trying to thin a fat bike. The Yam even used to be called the BBP for big blue pig.

I think if you add some after markets you will find the Stark good for what you want to do though. I no longer use my xcw 300 the Stark is much better all enduro/trail for me.
I only do MX, and I do not like narrow bikes. When Tomac switched to Yamaha, he said he wanted a wider bike that was easier to grip. I feel too loose on the Stark. My Alta is about the same width, but it widens to the front and to the back, and I feel very secure on it. But I need to add some gadgets/gimmicks to my Stark to make me feel connected to it. Nobody in the motocross world used Steg Pegs, so I will be trying the RJ Wing seat instead. I wish I could just add some thicker side panels with grip tape on them and be done!

Chaconne

I only do MX, and I do not like narrow bikes. When Tomac switched to Yamaha, he said he wanted a wider bike that was easier to grip. I feel too loose on the Stark. My Alta is about the same width, but it widens to the front and to the back, and I feel very secure on it. But I need to add some gadgets/gimmicks to my Stark to make me feel connected to it. Nobody in the motocross world used Steg Pegs, so I will be trying the RJ Wing seat instead. I wish I could just add some thicker side panels with grip tape on them and be done!
Ok fair enough.

I was mostly responding to the compare with the Husky 300 which is a different class of bike. In terms of MX I hear you and I guess it depends on individual technique and where the width is.

Kawi is not exactly a fat bike either. Roczen seems to love a narrow bike that carves like a pair of slalom skis but he could never seem to beat WOT Tomac squeezing the hell out of his bike with his legs and using the clutch to modulate the screaming motor. Tomac has fried both the Kawi and the Yam clutches ...:ricky:

Travelingmike

Tomac was smiling when he said it- he didn’t want- it was what he had. I have gotten used to my Stark- my yz450f is a fat pig 😂. PGD motobuilds has some frame guard/ grip tape that works well- nice guy and after I showed him weakness- he modified it. Lol Kitchen was using steg pegz on the Yamaha. I used them as well- my first couple years, but as my technique improved- moving around more, they felt in the way. I am finding not so much grip as body position/ lean has helped- not falling behind the bike. I haven’t ruled out Steg pegz, but am doing 20” motos without arm pump on the Stark. Anyway just a 55 y/o guy who started this fun sport at 50 😝.

TokyoMX

I'm a moto only guy too, and used to run a Wing Seat on my YZ and loved it. Now I got Steg Pegz on my Stark and woks fine. Don't even notice when riding. BUT, bottom bolts on Steg Pegz that holds sub-frame sticks out maybe 3mm, and catches my boots often. Maybe it's Alpinestar Tech-10 thing, but really annoying when I try to move my feet. I'm going to try the Wing Seat on Stark now.