General Suggestions for dirt bikes

CobieBrown

Hi, I am a newbie. I need a suggestion about a dirt bike. I plan to purchase a dirt bike for child. I searched on the internet and found something like dirt bikes for 13 years. But I don't understand which bike is better for dirt biking. Can you give me some suggestions about dirt bikes?

snydes

Staff member
What is the child’s experience level and what type of riding would they likely do? Are you only interested in electric? Many variables are important to point you to an appropriate type of motorcycle.

rk42

I coach a bunch of kids in moto and those who start out on electric bikes have much more fun way earlier.
Unfortunately electric bikes only come in small kid and adult size at the moment, at age 13 your kid probably needs something like an 85cc bike, size wise. You could get him a Surron which is great for trail riding, some enduro and small jumps but nowhere near track ready. It really depends on what you want to get out of the bike, pretty much any bike will do for some backyard shenanigans but if you plan to do Motocross you need a proper Motocross bike.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Hi, I am a newbie. I need a suggestion about a dirt bike. I plan to purchase a dirt bike for child. I searched on the internet and found something like dirt bikes for 13 years. But I don't understand which bike is better for dirt biking. Can you give me some suggestions about dirt bikes?
Most of the bikes in that article are more for 5 year olds, not 13 year olds, except for the 125.

Rather than age, it’s usually better to go by size. For instance, at 13, my sons were almost 6 feet tall. Other 13 year olds will be tiny. My preference when teaching kids to ride (bicycle or motorcycle) is to find a bike where they can comfortably touch the ground with flat feet. That way, they are confident they won’t tip over when they stop.

So, perhaps if we had sone additional info about your child’s size and experience, it might help narrow down some choices.

Also, how you will use the bike is important. Track, trail, street, etc. Then whether you want electic, 2-stroke, or 4-stroke.

evh1

I understand a new larger Stacycle is going to hit the market very soon! May be an answer here. They will have an eighteen inch and twenty inch model. If 20 is like our old Stingray framed bikes it would be perfect for a 13 yr old. The adjustthrottle output would be perfect for a noob.

Top Bottom