Sur Ron Ultra Bee

F451

Interesting video on the new Sur Ron Ultra Bee. I'd buy one today if it was available in the US (while I wait for my Stark Varg to be delivered late next year, and meanwhile still loving my Alta MXR).

B. FRANK

the big four need to wake up or there may be a new big four. all it would take is for brp to realize that they already own everything to rerelease the best electric dirt bike...the alta, and a few of the e trials companies to go dual sport.there are also a lot of e/pedal bikes close enough to make the jump. I am interested to see what Japan offers up. years ago they signed(?) battery agreements and how cool would it be if battery changes were as quick and easy as on a Sur Ron! gas stations could have exchange stations like for barbecue grill propane tanks. electric bikes could actually change batteries quicker than ice bikes could refuel. the future could be bright if a little common sense were applied. unfortunately there's not a lot of that going around these days. maybe it could be as easy as taking Elon musk out dirt riding, if he liked it things would move forward quicker.

chrisflysit

As an owner of a highly modified Light Bee, an electric converted CRF250R and a 300EC TPI GASGAS, I'm looking forward to to Ultra Bee. The electric CRF250R is my favorite bike, but at 235 lbs it is heavier than I would like. The Light Bee has too short of a wheel base to put the power down, unstable high speed and scary on steep down hills. The Ultra Bee should be a good compromise on weight and size, and of course I will mod it. Should be fun.

F451

Hey all, I just put down a deposit for an Ultra Bee with Charged Cycle Works in Utah (USA). Very excited to see what this "in between" bike is all about. I will report back more when I receive the bike.

More info here: Charged Cycle Works Sur Ron Ultra Bee Pre-Order

Price: $6,499 USD (+ shipping, estimated $350 continental US).
Expected delivery: late March/April 2023.
Not street legal (no turn signals).

Ultra_Bee_Charged_Cycle_Works.jpg

Specs:
12.5kW peak power (more than double the light bee x)
72V/55Ah Lithium Ion
187lb (85kg) weight
max range of 87 miles at 25mph
56 mph top speed
0-31mph in 2.3 seconds
3 riding modes (Eco, Daily, Sport)
Traction control, regenerative braking, adjustable throttle sensitivity
4 hour charge time via conventional 120V wall outlet
Will be sold as an off-road model in the USA (no turn signals).

POWERTRAIN Specs:
Motor Type: Permanent magnet synchronous motor (PMSM)
Peak Power: 12.5 KW
Peak Torque: 440 Nm (325 ft-lbs)
Top Speed: 90 km/h (56 mph)
Max Range: 87 miles @ 25 mph, depending on terrain
Battery Pack: 72V/55Ah Lithium Ion
Charging Time: 4 Hours (0-100%)

RIDER AIDS:
Riding Modes: Sport, Daily, Eco, Reverse
Rider Aids: Surron Traction Control System (SRTC), Surron Energy Regenerative System (SERS)
Reverse Gear: Button-activated

CHASSIS:
Frame: Forged aluminum alloy
Swingarm: Forged aluminum alloy
Front Suspension: 37 mm inverted fork, 240 mm (9.4") travel, fully adjustable
Rear Suspension: Adjustable TR Intersect monoshock, 240 mm wheel travel
Front Wheel: 19" wire-spoked rim, 80/100-19 off-road tire
Rear Wheel: 19" wire-spoked rim, 90/90-19 off-road tire
Front Brake: 240 mm hydraulic disc
Rear Brake: 240 mm hydraulic disc
Curb Weight: 85 kg (187 lbs)
Max Load: 100 kg (220 lbs)
Vehicle Dimensions: 79.1 x 34.6 x 46.4" (2,010 x 880 x 1,178 mm)
Ground Clearance: 318 mm (12.5")
Wheelbase: 1,380 mm (54.3")
Seat Height: 910 mm (35.8")

ADDITIONAL FEATURES:
USB Connection: Single USB-2.1A Outlet
Instrumentation: LCD Digital Dash
Headlight: LED

Not sure if it will be able to be titled in WA State, whether it comes with an MSO, whether it has a VIN# that is usable for titling, etc. Will see.

F451

An enthusiastic overview of the Ultra Bee from Electric Trail Rider (Ka Uila Motors) with some speculation since its not a "hands on" review/test:

Some things he notes:
19" wheels front/back.
May or may not be room for a 18" + wider rear tire within the swingarm.
Controller is in a vulnerable location up front (I would prefer they put the controller where the removable charger is located under the seat, maybe someone will come up with a slick relocation setup).

Reactions: #76

mr.skywalker

Looks like you can preorder them now for delivery in a few months and price looks good compared to what it would take to get a light be to same battery and power levels. I know I have at least that much in mine and its still a on the small side where this looks perfect size for me

Jared

It is interesting that the picture shows front and rear turn signals, license plate bracket, passenger foot pegs, reflectors on the forks…all common parts for bikes that the manufacturer intends to be road legal, yet they are to be sold here as off-road only.

F451

It is interesting that the picture shows front and rear turn signals, license plate bracket, passenger foot pegs, reflectors on the forks…all common parts for bikes that the manufacturer intends to be road legal, yet they are to be sold here as off-road only.
Yes, I think the pic is just a generic pic from Sur Ron. I'm expecting the bike to look just like that except it will not have blinkers.

The internet chatter is that Sur Ron has not gone through the process to sell a street legal version of the Ultra Bee in the USA (EPA certification + whatever else you have to do = crazy expensive and time consuming). They have instead elected to sell the Ultra Bee in the same gray area that they did so successfully with the Light Bee.

I'm really hoping it has some type of MSO + vin# that will work with WA State DOL's system and that I can plate it through the same process that we have for plating off-road only dirt bikes (throw the street legal bits on it, get it inspected at one of the participating dealers, take paperwork to DOL, walk out with plate, party on).

But if I can't plate it, or at least be able to get a title as an ORV motorcycle so I can get an ORV sticker so I can legally ride off-road, I will be able to ride at my club property. Although I would be mighty tempted to take it out to all the usual off-road riding areas and just try to avoid johnny law.

Hopefully I'll be able to get it titled (with orv sticker), maybe plated, I'll be sure to keep everybody posted

B. FRANK

I don't know about the ultra bee but the light bee cannot be street legal in the United States because it doesn't have a 17 digit vin #. early licensers got legal before anyone noticed what was happening. I was too late. perhaps the ultra bee also only has a 15 digit vin# too. many things are legal in Europe that aren't here. 2 strokes, trials bikes etc. don't get too excited about the electronics and pegs, they won't be on the u.s. models. sorry to be a bubble buster.

F451

I don't know about the ultra bee but the light bee cannot be street legal in the United States because it doesn't have a 17 digit vin #. early licensers got legal before anyone noticed what was happening. I was too late. perhaps the ultra bee also only has a 15 digit vin# too. many things are legal in Europe that aren't here. 2 strokes, trials bikes etc. don't get too excited about the electronics and pegs, they won't be on the u.s. models. sorry to be a bubble buster.
Good to know about the Light Bee vin.

And no bubbles burst, no worries, Lol.

F451

Charged Cycles is saying the Ultra Bee will have vin #'s and MSO's and should be able to be titled in the USA.

Ermagerd! ERMAGERD!!!

I hope this is true. We will see.

Check out the video from Charged, around the 4:00 min mark he starts talking about it.

CampDirectorG

Hi all, I have been a dirt rider forever (first 250 2-strokes for many years, now I have a Honda CRF450x) and I'm wondering if you think the Ultra Bee would work for me. I would say I'm an expert rider, though that is a matter of opinion, and I ride pretty fast and hard for a relatively old guy. I like the Storm Bee, but It's even heavier than my Honda, which I am not sure I will like. I think the Light Bee, at least stock will be way too small, and I'm wondering if the Ultra Bee will be the goldilocks "just right" electric bike for me. Any thoughts?

I also like that it's half the price of the KTM Freeride, and the Stark Varg (which looks amazing). I generally find mountain bikes squirly and tiny and they don't have the heft I'm used to for pounding through rocks and whoops etc. I ride mostly trail, so I'm just looking for opinions if people think the Ultra Bee would work for an old-school ICE dirt rider, or if I will need to get the Storm or the Varg. Thanks in advance for your help.

B. FRANK

the main drawback of Sur Ron is the flimsy skinny wheels. if your pounding through rocks with stock wheels count on carrying your bike home. there are a lot of Altas for sale now that people are letting them go in anticipation of the varg. you would love an alta, very fast, easy to ride(no clutch or shifting),almost maintenance free and can handle any type of riding. if you decide to go with a Sur Ron, the light bee is very small, I use mine mainly on canal paths and street. the ultra bee looks cool but I would upgrade the wheels immediately. another thing to consider is that these bikes are made in china and I don't think they realize yet how much larger Americans are. I am 6'3 270lbs and the light bee is worthless on anything except smooth trails for me. ultra bee undoubtedly will have many aftermarket upgrades available but it may take awhile. Altas are real dirt bikes and you could probably find one for about the price of an ultra bee, it all comes down to how big you are and how hard you ride. either way welcome to electric, you're gonna love it.

F451

Hi all, I have been a dirt rider forever (first 250 2-strokes for many years, now I have a Honda CRF450x) and I'm wondering if you think the Ultra Bee would work for me. I would say I'm an expert rider, though that is a matter of opinion, and I ride pretty fast and hard for a relatively old guy. I like the Storm Bee, but It's even heavier than my Honda, which I am not sure I will like. I think the Light Bee, at least stock will be way too small, and I'm wondering if the Ultra Bee will be the goldilocks "just right" electric bike for me. Any thoughts?

I also like that it's half the price of the KTM Freeride, and the Stark Varg (which looks amazing). I generally find mountain bikes squirly and tiny and they don't have the heft I'm used to for pounding through rocks and whoops etc. I ride mostly trail, so I'm just looking for opinions if people think the Ultra Bee would work for an old-school ICE dirt rider, or if I will need to get the Storm or the Varg. Thanks in advance for your help.

I think you will find the Ultra Bee not suitable for your type of riding. I consider it a play bike more then a full on dirt bike. I think the Stark Varg would suit you better. As B. Frank mentioned, I think you will find the Ultra Bee not as capable as your Honda or really any typical full on dirt bike. The suspension, wheels, and probably brakes will not be up to that performance level.

I'm buying an Ultra Bee as a play bike while I wait for my Stark Varg to be delivered (Nov. 2023). If I love it, I will likely sell my Alta while I wait for my Varg. If I don't love it, but its a fun little trail bike, I may keep it and let my daughters and friends ride it. If family and friends aren't into riding it, I figure I'll have no problem selling it used and won't take too much of a hit financially.

If I'm loving the Ultra Bee and decide to keep it, I will be looking into upgrading the suspension and wheels at a minimum. The Charged Cycle Works guy posted a comment about suspension on that youtube video in response to my question about whether a 125 2 stroke set of forks might be adapted to the Ultra Bee. He commented that he thought an 85 fork set would better suit the bike (indicating to me that the bike is really a play bike for full sized adults).

Next step for mods would be upgraded controller and battery (more power and range), but I don't see myself spending that kind of coin on it when I've got a Stark Varg coming in November.

But, I'm really hoping I love the Ultra Bee just the way it is. The 200 lb wieght is right around a 125 2 stroke, should be super fun if the suspension is not terrible (it probably will be Lol).

And of course, bottom line is, if you can get a ride on one, that will let you know for sure. If I was in your shoes I'd be keeping my ears open for any New England Ultra Bee owners, wouldn't be shy about asking if you could take a short test ride on it. Most e-dirt bike guys are happy to allow test rides as long as you're not a complete and obvious knucklehead. And of course reach out to any of the Ultra Bee dealers in New England about test rides (not sure if there are any dealers in NE).

And of course keep us posted if you get a ride on one, or purchase one, always great to get feedback from long term dirt bike peeps, helps the rest of us understand the capabilities of these super fun e-dirt bikes.