Tesla pickup truck

allesad

I might want this in the RV flavor. Living off-grid, except commuting to a nearest supercharger station once a week.

The ANSWER is the Tesla Semi (~$150-180K) with 300-500 mile range. Build a tiny house on the back (w/solar panels on the roof) and your RV off the grid dream is a reality. Can be charge at the supercharger network (10K+ chargers are built w/more to come). Tesla's electric Semi trucks are priced to compete at $150,000

Garrett

I REALLY don’t understand the need to design, much less own, an electric pick up that is so large it can hold a “normal” sized pickup in the box. Unless you’re a contractor that requires a vehicle of this size, why would Tesla think this is something the average truck owner needs? And why would the average truck owner THINK he/she needs it?

Not to mention it’s bloody ugly

Please enlighten me.

Garrett

Reactions: Fod

rayivers

My guess is that - like other specialized electric cargo-type vehicles - these trucks may have been purpose-designed to fill large pre-order contracts, most likely for situations that require electric power (i.e., underground / indoor / stadiums etc.). The ability to bring containerized or ro-ro (roll on, roll off) items deep into a large warehouse, tunnel complex, etc. would be a huge time-saver compared to transfer by forklift. Although there could well be at least some kind of market for psycho huge terraforming-style trucks. :)

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Musk pre-sold a few hundred of those semi trucks already. One of the orders was 100 trucks, IIRC. Someone must need them, and probably not just for the cool or environmental reasons.

They are already priced competitively compared to the semi trucks currently on the market. Very little maintenance is required. Once Tesla gets the initial bugs out, and the risk of buying new tech passes, it should become financially advantageous to many operators to go electric.

It is just like many of us here, who think that the Redshift is cheaper to own, if you take into account a lot of time saved on maintenance. Whereas others, who value their time less, prefer to buy used gas bikes.

strider

It reminds me of that Freightliner pickup. Semi cab and pickup bed. I think it was mostly a design exercise and an attempt to move EVs away from the urban crowd and towards the pickup truck crowd. In that you could look 'down' from your EV at the dude in the F350 rolling coal.

I think the real one will be a normal size truck. I do hope they double-stack the 100kWh battery packs like in the new Roadster to get more range, power, and on-site power. I agree w/ the other posters that they should go after the Raptor styling. Although that takes it away from what a contractor would need.

Garrett

My guess is that - like other specialized electric cargo-type vehicles - these trucks may have been purpose-designed to fill large pre-order contracts, most likely for situations that require electric power (i.e., underground / indoor / stadiums etc.). The ability to bring containerized or ro-ro (roll on, roll off) items deep into a large warehouse, tunnel complex, etc. would be a huge time-saver compared to transfer by forklift. Although there could well be at least some kind of market for psycho huge terraforming-style trucks. :)
Yeah the underground warehouse and mine applications make sense. Although many mines have low profile vehicles I get what you are saying. Musk's tweets left me wondering why this could be considered a vehicle to replace the pickup. It's hardly a.pickup with dually tears and the massive box.

Garrett

Musk pre-sold a few hundred of those semi trucks already. One of the orders was 100 trucks, IIRC. Someone must need them, and probably not just for the cool or environmental reasons.

They are already priced competitively compared to the semi trucks currently on the market. Very little maintenance is required. Once Tesla gets the initial bugs out, and the risk of buying new tech passes, it should become financially advantageous to many operators to go electric.

It is just like many of us here, who think that the Redshift is cheaper to own, if you take into account a lot of time saved on maintenance. Whereas others, who value their time little, prefer to buy used gas bikes.
It'll take a while for the price to own to get down to a.used 2 stroke. My Beta has been excellent in terms of maintenance so far but it is getting older. My reasons for wanting the Redshift are the ease of use, silence and the fun stealth factor. Nobody will know you are riding and dirt bikes will become less dirty and hopefully keep riding areas open.