The "Professional" media goons are silly rabbits!

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
I’ve listened to every Stark Varg initial press review. Yet to hear anything remotely close to what I feel will be the deciding factor on whether these bikes are adopted by mainstream racing.

Either a special class or against the gassers. Which I highly doubt as currently it’s segregated between 4 & 2 strokes by the manufacturers. As a side note say Stewart is faster on a 2 stroke. The manufacturer will say tuff shit you’re riding a 4 stroke or find another job. Because it’s all about selling bikes.

But back to the Electric motocross bike of Stark Varg. I have been riding E bikes for 15 years. Retired factory R&D pilot. One of the first people to ride the H-D built LiveWire. Built electric bikes. Bought them. My kid has grown up on Electric bikes from 2 years old. If you want development feedback regarding your kid’s E bike talk to Cam. #iridewith_cam

On a gas bike imagine the vehicle going through a 6”deep water puddle the length of the bike at 40mph.

The engine torque characteristics will lower with rpms. Thus lower torque output. A benefit of navigating the obstacle by automatically aiding chassis/vehicle control through the track obstacle the puddle.

On an E bike you need that torque ramp rate/rpm correlation tuning parameter. To ensure the electric vehicle behaves similarly aiding in control ability. Every single Electric vehicle I have experienced did not have the smarts in tuning to provide this. Alta included.

Imagine extreme enduro motorcycling. To navigate a Jap-Zap trials type over large rock. The pilot correlates the exhaust noise/vibration into desired engine torque/power output for the desired obstacle. With electric bike it’s all torque or nothing from zero rpm. Why do you think EM trials electric bike have a clutch?

Imagine traveling through above mentioned track obstacle. The torque is always there! Regardless of rpms. Feeling like you’re always in right gear. Well your right wrist cannot react to a 0.4 second event. Because the short duration event could have massive vehicle control ability issues.

You need that rpm / torque relationship at 95% pace on Electric vehicles. Same vehicle just different power train.

You herd it here first!

enjoythesilenc

I think I understand what you're saying, can you give anoither scenario? One of the media guys wiped out and others mentioned trouble controlling the rear wheel gyroscope mid-air. Electric overspin?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I wish I could understand better what that ideal rpm / torque relationship you think should be. Maybe then we could ask Stark to make it that way.

With electric bike it’s all torque or nothing from zero rpm.
I can roll or ride my Alta into my motovan fast or very slowly, with a much better control than I can ride my gas bikes. It is not all torque or nothing.

rayivers

One of the major problems I've had with ICE bikes has been hillclimbs, especially the approaches to them. In this case, the short-duration event (approach) could cause massive control issues (bogging, stalling. looping out) on the hill itself.

My Alta doesn't care - it just deals with sand/sticky clay/slick hardpack/whatever and grunts up the hill, allowing me to concentrate on the actual climb and not the shortcomings of my motorcycle. Honestly, the last thing I'd want is a 'bog' algorithm reducing torque upon encountering an obstacle (just my personal preference).

SHSMITH76

I wished Kris Keefer could have went, but he wasnt available. They sent Jason Thomas , which the vibe I got from him before hand is that he was a bit skeptical. Listened to The Matthes show review and he seemed to really enjoy riding it...and isnt that what its all about? I think if this thing ever makes it to us it will be a game changer. Let's just hope it isnt too delayed...looking forward to getting mine!

Number Six

What does the phrase ; 'adopted by mainstream racing' mean ?
Allowed by the governing bodies - FIM, AMA & so on. ?
Or .. the riding / buying public in general ? Will it be dismissed far & wide for lack of a clutch ?
Guess time will tell.
I have a particularly steep ravine composed of loose softball & larger sized rocks in mind, gonna throw Varg to the bottom & see if it can make it out .. while raining.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
Blake Wharton eluded to some of the issues or tuning requirements that 95% percentile elite level riders will require....