The Storm Bee is out!

aremean79

I just received a Storm Bee preproduction unit from Surron. I am one of a lucky few to get it cos I have been the importer of Surron since 2018 for the Singapore and Malaysia market (my Alta MXR converted me into a e-moto crazy guy đŸ¤£).

I tested it at my warehouse and I must say its very impressive given its lower specs. Comes with;
- 90V removable battery (the bike is capable to handle up to 150V)
- 30HP
- Fast Ace suspensions (Looks like a copy of the Showa)
- 18" rear (they will be swapping it with a 19" rear)
- ASR (traction control)
- 3 power modes
- 3 regen modes
- Turbo (power boost for overtaking)

20-08-12-15-46-59-780_deco.jpg

20-09-11-21-40-32-724_deco.jpg

20-09-11-21-40-01-306_deco.jpg

20-09-11-21-39-28-804_deco.jpg

20-09-12-01-02-35-325_deco.jpg

aremean79

I assembled it last night and will be testing it over the weekend. I must say that I am impressed with the quality of build. Components are somewhat cheaper but perhaps thats cos they wanna keep the price lower (no indocative price yet).

Some more close up pictures here.

Let me know what else you guys wanna see...

20200912_010716.jpg

20200912_010743.jpg

20200911_224125.jpg

20200911_214607.jpg

20200911_214557.jpg

20200911_214500.jpg

20200911_211011.jpg

Jayfox911

That rear shock mount point just looks weird completely vertical but I just it’s that way to make more room for the battery to slide out?

nice looking bike, I hope it takes off and they sell a lot of them.

thanks for posting.

aremean79

That rear shock mount point just looks weird completely vertical but I just it’s that way to make more room for the battery to slide out?

nice looking bike, I hope it takes off and they sell a lot of them.

thanks for posting.

They are geared and are targeting the masses so their price point might be to their advantage. And if the Light Bee is any indication, they will be quite bulletproof too.

You are right, the shock positioning is most probably to give clearance for the battery removal but its not entirely new and has been shown to work on some of the older more exotic bikes like 2001 VOR 503 and the older Husaberg, Husqvarnas. Hopefully its not a step back (by having older styled shock mounting) so Im keeping my fingers crossed and hoping it works for the Storm Bee.

aremean79

Here are the full details;
It states range to be 100km @ 50km/h
And it was tested to last more than 45 mins on a motocross track. I guess there will be a lot of variables (rider level, track conditions, throttle hand, temperature etc) but since the battery is easily swapped, it shouldn't be much of a problem?
20-08-12-15-46-59-780_deco.jpg

VINSANITY

Is the size / ergonomics similar to the Alta or is it a smaller bike - seat height shorter?

Can you take some pictures of opening up the battery compartment and how the battery is held in place.

Also pictures of the sub frame - it looks like aluminum with plastic covers.

Also pictures of the handlebars and controls.

Weird they would spec 47mm forks - if they were 48mm could swap much easier

Also weird there is no side number plates, hopefully after market will come up with some thing.

aremean79

Size and ergonomics - its similar to the Alta, just a little slimmer.

Battery removal - 2 bolts to remove the seat and there are 2 heavy duty kinda levers and clips that holds the battery in place. Its as easy as changing your air filter (if you still remember what that is.... đŸ˜…)

- Will take pictures of the controls and subframe.

47mm forks are a copy of the Showa unit made by fastace.

I agree on the point about the missing side number plates.

20200912_234613.jpg

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The battery is 4.3 kWh. For an average rider it should be good enough for about 25 minutes at a MX track. Gotta buy spare batteries if you want to ride all day!

Is it possible to charge the battery without the bike?

Jon

Wow, what a great step forward... or at least getting us closer to where things were before Alta closed!

@aremean79 - when you say that the bike is capable of taking a 150v battery, do you mean it can take 2 of the the 90V 48AH batteries, or will there be a different 150V battery with a lower AH rating?

Also, have you put the bike on a scale? How heavy is it compared to the published 119 KG? :)

bayodome

So much awesome sauce happening here! Thanks for sharing armean79! I'm very curious about the Boost feature on the controls. Have you tried it? Can you foresee bypassing the switch with an aftermarket piece so the "boost" is just permanently on? For motocrossers like myself, having to pull an extra switch to get the power you need seems ridiculous. That's what the throttle is for.

Anyway, thanks for sharing and keep the updates coming!

VINSANITY

Really appreciate you posting information about the bike as I have been following it’s development for a long time.

Any impressions on its performance and or additional information would be awesome.

Have fun with it