Throttle tube / ODI Lock-on grips?

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I guess this falls under the "etc" part of this section.

Has anyone taken apart the throttle housing yet? I'm going to assume that it doesn't have a similar throttle cable cam as a gas bike. That would mean only traditional grips with grip glue and grip wire can be used.

What about replacement throttle tubes? Is Alta OEM the only option?

snydes

Staff member
I guess this falls under the "etc" part of this section.

Has anyone taken apart the throttle housing yet? I'm going to assume that it doesn't have a similar throttle cable cam as a gas bike. That would mean only traditional grips with grip glue and grip wire can be used.

What about replacement throttle tubes? Is Alta OEM the only option?

At this point Alta is the only option. @Fod might have taken one apart. If I recall correctly he had to replace the assembly.

Fod

Yeah I have taken mine apart...well the ground took it apart! :muutt:
If some one wants to see what is in side I can take photos or better yet just mail it to you if you want to keep it. Its crazy, its all done by magnets!!!!

WoodsWeapon

Just got in from riding my EXR. After turning it on and activating, I turned the throttle and it was fine for a few seconds. Then lost all power and the display read Throttle Read Malfunction. Turned it off and back on and its fine now.

Fod

Just got in from riding my EXR. After turning it on and activating, I turned the throttle and it was fine for a few seconds. Then lost all power and the display read Throttle Read Malfunction. Turned it off and back on and its fine now.
Turn your bike back on and hit the start button so bike is live (ready to ride). Turn throttle backwards and see if you get the same error.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I like how you cut the tube in the half... for science. (y)

That's really interesting. I'm sitting here trying to figure out the engineering inside that. Kind of looks like a strange potentiometer.

Fod

I like how you cut the tube in the half... for science. (y)

That's really interesting. I'm sitting here trying to figure out the engineering inside that. Kind of looks like a strange potentiometer.
I didn't cut the tube, just the outer housing so you can see inside where the wire connects to some eye or what not. Yeah it's real interesting! I have no idea how it works, so kinda scary that our lives depend on some magnet reader/scanner doodad.

WoodsWeapon

Turn your bike back on and hit the start button so bike is live (ready to ride). Turn throttle backwards and see if you get the same error.
Yep that brings it back. But seems odd that after moving it did it? I dont recall my MX ever doing it.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
When changing your grips don’t use to much grip glue on the throttle side. Will make the throttle a little sticky.
Yeah, I almost glued my throttle to the handlebar once. LOL!

The throttle tube is open on the outside end, which is wrong! If you tear the end of the grip, the throttle will get packed with dirt. If you apply the glue to the grip, then it will end up inside the throttle tube. If you apply the glue onto the throttle tube, it can end up in the throttle body. It's a catch 22.

I ended up pulling the grip off before the glue got a chance to harden, cleaning the inside of the tube and the grip, and then applying the glue onto the grip. I also protected the throttle body with some duct tape so that the extra glue does not get in.

Fod

Yep that brings it back. But seems odd that after moving it did it? I dont recall my MX ever doing it.
So you have a faulty throttle like I do. I have been using it recently, but I just sent it back yesterday and should be getting a replacement shortly. You shouldn't get a fault when turning your throttle backwards. As for you getting the fault turning the throttle normal, that is dangerous. I would not ride any tracks with that throttle till you get it replaced under warranty.

WoodsWeapon

Yes I will be contacting them regarding this issue. Are you saying they are sending you a new throttle and youre putting it on? Seems they would have been insistant of dealer installing it.

Fod

Yes I will be contacting them regarding this issue. Are you saying they are sending you a new throttle and youre putting it on? Seems they would have been insistant of dealer installing it.
Well through a dealer of theirs. I wish we can do things direct with them!