Tighten rear spoke Issue

Matt

E-Rider
I went to tighten down all of my rear spokes earlier after tightening all of the front spokes down and about 99% of my rear spokes spin when I try and tighten them as in not seperated from the nut at the top. I know this isn't really an Alta specific issue but I thought I would ask and see if anyone has had experience with this before. Are all of my spokes shot or do I just need to get the nut to seperate from the spoke?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I had only one spoke spin on me so far. I had to hold it with vice grips to run the nut back and forth a few times, then tighten it, while still holding it. I also used spray chain lube to lube the threads.

I usually lube all the spoke nipples on all my new bikes. I didn't do it on my Altas, I thought Warp9 wheels may have a better corrosion protection. But no, they need lube like all other wheels.

On the Alta rear wheel it should be pretty easy to lube the spoke threads. Just put a couple of oil drops in every spoke, then spin up the rear wheel to 50+ mph, then wipe off the excess.